E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 528i

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 528i

i made a thread a few weeks ago about purchasing a 530i. The car was sold before i got the chance to buy it. Im looking at a 2009 528i right now with 77k mi. I checked the vin # and got the carfax for it. Here is something that i wanted to bring up and hear some input from u guys.

the car is 2009 so IMO its still fairly new. But its gone thru 4 owners already. Is this be something i should be concern about? I just dont get why a car that is 09 have gone thru 4 owners unless there was many issues with the car?

another thing that caught my attention is the service that was done to the car. The most recent service was done in 4/2/2015 and here is what the dealership replaced.

Ignition coil(s) replaced
Valve cover gasket(s) replaced
Internal transmission repaired
Body electrical wiring repaired

are these something that i should be concern about? those doesnt seem like an easy/cheap fix. looks like if it were to happen again, its gonna cost some money.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i premium package, sport package

No offense but if you're looking for an easy and cheap fix, you can forget about any newer BMW.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Yournamehere
No offense but if you're looking for an easy and cheap fix, you can forget about any newer BMW.
I'm not saying easy/cheap as in a few hundreds. I guess I should made it more clear. What I meant to say is those issues that were fixed doesn't seem like a minor thing such replacing brakes, etc.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Members

What I meant to say is that if those issues were to happen constantly then it looks like it's gonna cost a lot to maintain it. That is what I'm worried about.

I've been searching and reading up on the issues with the 5 series and it seems like a common thing that when a certain part gets repaired a few months later the same problem happens again and they have to take the car in to have it looked at again. So that was my main concern.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i premium package, sport package

The valve covers and ignition coils are common problems. The turbo engines have several problems of their own but I can't comment on the non turbo engines. There is a nice forum article titled "So you just bought an E60" on another forum. I don't know if I can link it but google brings it right up.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

These two things would worry me and probably scratch this one off my list unless I had the exact details:

The other things are pretty common and don't mean that there is an "iceberg" somewhere to be found later.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by twh
These two things would worry me and probably scratch this one off my list unless I had the exact details:

The other things are pretty common and don't mean that there is an "iceberg" somewhere to be found later.
That one is a huge red flag to me. I agree with twh, pass.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by twh

Yeah thats what caught my attention too. internal transmission and body electrical doesnt seem like an easy job to do and will probably cost a lot to get this done if it were to happen again. Thanks for your input, i will pass this one up. There's an 08 528i with 80k mi that i'm gonna go look at. Too bad this one doesnt come with the sport/premium package but i guess i'll have to go without it if this one is in good condition.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Members

Well just wanted to update this thread. I went and checked out the 08 528i over the weekend, and bought the car! Overall, its a nice car. This is pretty much a base model. Does not come with navigation, parking sensors, etc. But i figure its better this way. Less options = less electrical problems (im hoping thats the case).

The car has about 80k mileage, it was a family trade in. The car was previously owned by a family who wanted a bigger car. The carfax came up clean and doesnt have any major issues. The only thing i notice about this car is that the car makes a clicking noise when start up. I did some searching and found out that the clicking noise is common for the 528i models?

Here is some quick shots of the car, will update once i take the car in for detail.
Attached Thumbnails 2009 528i-1.jpg   2009 528i-2.jpg   2009 528i-3.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Not sure what clicking noise you are talking about.

My 2006 Nav DVD drive is broken now, so Nav isn't all that useful. It is easier to use Google maps anyway and my iPhone just connects to the car's bluetooth telling me what to do.

Quick Reply: 2009 528i