Go Back   5Series.net - Forums > E60 5 Series (2004 - 2010) > E60 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Members

So I'm planning on doing my first oil change to my '08 528i. From what I researched, it seems pretty straightforward. However, I still had some questions on it and hope someone here can answer them. Can I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil? If not, does anyone here know an off the shelf brand I can use that would meet bmw standards? Or can anyone recommend a brand? I plan on changing oil every 5k to 7k miles. How many quarts do I use? Where can I buy the filter? Do they sell them at my local Pepboys, Kragen, etc...?

Once I'm done with the refilling of the oil, I do the reset computer thing and I should be all good to go right? Or is there something else that needs to be done?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Contributors

Check out the manual that is in the glove box of your car, it will indicate as to what oil and how much you should use in your car. After you've reset the service indicator....you're good to go.
thomas finlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Members

i stick with the dealer "BMW oil" with Mann filter. check this site, as they had an oil change package discounted recently >>> www.getbmwparts.com. i would do the oil changes every 5K to 7.5K miles though. btw, you will need the wrench to remove the filter from its reservoir [dealer or online, under 30 usd].
BMW535xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Contributors

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

BMW Synthenic Oil 5W-30
Click the image to open in full size.

Mobil 1 0W-40

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30
HUD, CIC nav/traffic/voice control/BMW Online/Remote app (Android), sat radio, L7, iPod/USB interface, sunblinds.
Lighting mods: Crazy LED interior, MTEC v3 26W AE, LED front/side turns/rear plate/brake (coded).
Coded: windows remote close, Video-In-Motion, refuel proposal; BMW SS pedals.
vkhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhong View Post
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

BMW Synthenic Oil 5W-30

Mobil 1 0W-40

N54 motors capacity is 7 U.S. Quarts, and i've seen the Mann filters at advance auto store.

Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30
Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
Contributors

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabox View Post
So I'm planning on doing my first oil change to my '08 528i. From what I researched, it seems pretty straightforward. However, I still had some questions on it and hope someone here can answer them. Can I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil? If not, does anyone here know an off the shelf brand I can use that would meet bmw standards? Or can anyone recommend a brand? I plan on changing oil every 5k to 7k miles. How many quarts do I use? Where can I buy the filter? Do they sell them at my local Pepboys, Kragen, etc...?

Once I'm done with the refilling of the oil, I do the reset computer thing and I should be all good to go right? Or is there something else that needs to be done?
Should we presume your '08 is no longer covered by BMW's maintenance warranty? OR are you doing a short-mileage cycle oil change? The advice about oil grade and filter has already been provided - FOLLOW IT! Mann are a commonly used replacement filter if your local BMW parts department doesn't offer you a deep discount on "BMW-branded" parts.
If you are a 1st timer doing a BMW oil service you should familiarize yourself with the all o-rings and such used with the cartridge insert etc. My first time (a couple decades ago) found me doubling up on one of the o-rings and oil leaking everywhere

Current
  • 2013 535xDrive
  • 1998 Z3 2.8
  • 2007 Rav4 V-6 AWD
Past
  • 2007 530xi
  • 2001 740i
  • 1998 740i
  • 1994 740i
  • 1986 524TD

Sign up for free at MR REBATES & Earn Cash Rebates when you shop on line at TireRack and other stores and websites!

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!
luigi524td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Senior Members

+1 about those O-rings.....
2008 BMW 535i: (Aug 07 Prod Run) - Platinum Bronze, Sport Package, Sport Auto Tranny, Premium Package, Cold Wxr Package, Comfort Access, Park Distance Control, Night Vision, HUD, NAV, Logic-7 Sound System, HD Radio, Split Rear Seats, NASCA Beige Leather, Ventilated Seats
MODS: M Sport Aerodynamic Kit, BMS JB4 Stage 3 & High Performance Intake, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps, Umnitza ICE-Lite 6000k LED AE's, LED License Plate Lamps

1992 Camaro RS: (5.0L) - Fully Restored, Teal Green, Custom Interior, Damplifier-Pro in cabin & hatch, Custom Sound, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, 140mph Speedo, and Rear Spoiler, Polished Air Filter and Valve Covers, Braided Fuel Lines, 1LE Front & Rear Disc Brakes, Too many suspension, drivetrain, and exhaust mods to list
pukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka View Post
+1 about those O-rings.....
yep...good advice, forgot about that potential problem.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Members

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will go with Castrol, since that's what my manual suggested. The pics help alot !!

I checked the book, but it doesn't tell me how many quarts to put in. Just shows me how to check oil levels using iDrive. but i'm thinking now it's 7 quarts, because that's how many they give you at getbmwparts.com when you purchase their oil change sets.

Where can I go buy the Mann filter? Do they sell them at pepboys, kragen or similar places?

to luigi: yeah, I made mental note about the O-rings. I know the ring that goes around the filter and the copper ring that goes around the drain plug. thanks.

to bmw535xi: the tool that you speak of, are you talking about the 32mm wrench used to unscrew the filter cap? is it 32mm or 36mm? i figure the only tools I needed were a socket wrench, 17mm socket and 32mm socket.

my bimmer has 44k miles on it. the last oil done was at 36k. so the computer won't tell me to bring it in until 51k miles, just right AFTER my maintenance expires. but i wanted to change it now, before that time comes. no way i'm waiting 15k miles to change her. plus, the car has been sitting on the lot since october.

on a slightly diff topic: i'm new to bmw so i'm new to the "E" language. is my car considered an e60? just so i know i order right part for my car.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Contributors

Oil Filter Cap Removal Tool

Also available from a BMW Center. Verify correct size for your engine / oil filter cap.
HUD, CIC nav/traffic/voice control/BMW Online/Remote app (Android), sat radio, L7, iPod/USB interface, sunblinds.
Lighting mods: Crazy LED interior, MTEC v3 26W AE, LED front/side turns/rear plate/brake (coded).
Coded: windows remote close, Video-In-Motion, refuel proposal; BMW SS pedals.
vkhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM