E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Orient Blue SMG - Sport Steering Wheel w/Paddle Shifters

Anybody ever looked into upgrading to the comfort seats? I have an 04 545 and I was just wondering what the cost/complexity would be...
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I have looked into it. If you want to purchase from the dealer i have been told that you will have to purchase each piece separately. If you take a look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...19&hg=52&fg=10 you can get a good idea of how many pieces there are in a single seat. Because of this the total cost for one seat including the foam padding and leather has been quoted to me at over $4,000.00. This was the price i received from the parts guy at roseville BMW in california.( a little to pricey in my opinion). Also i was told that BMW techs are not "authorized" to code or program parts, seats, etc into vehicles that were originally not equipped with those options, or at least they are not supposed to. This is the reason why most BMW service advisors say that mods like these cant be done.(they can be done) Apparently the programs that the BMW service department uses to repair, code, etc are very specific to the model of car they are working on so they wont "wing it" or veer off script. I asked why they cant just use the program that they use on cars with the comfort seat option on my non comfort seat car and they said it was not something they are authorized to do. I have seen posts here or on other forums where certain dealers will do this but my local dealer just wont.

I have seen post from a member on this forum that can code pretty darn well. He coded the CiC (the new idrive) for a few members who upgraded from the CCC (old idrive). I hear his prices are very reasonable and he will even send you a laptop and code remotely. Just need to give a deposit. That being said you still need to find the seats and retrofit them. In my opinion the best place to look for comfort seats are BMW recycle yards. There is a Huge BMW recycling yard in my area. Bavarian Auto recycling in Rancho Cordova. They mostly have older BMW parts but a few of the smaller vendors go out and buy salvaged E60s and sell the parts. I have only come across one set of comfort seats for a total of $1400 for the pair but they were the wrong color so i am still anxiously waiting. I havent found a DIY showing exactly how to do this retrofit but i did come across one that had 3 pics and showed how he removed and installed the seats. It did not show how he retrofitted the connection harnessess. I imagine the harnesses would be different and you would have to swap them somehow. I upgraded my headrests to comfort headrests just because i have been waiting so long to find seats. Let us know if you find out anymore info on this or a place to get seats. I am looking forward to doing this to my 535.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

there was a DIY on the headrest only but as for the entire seats, I don't think I've seen one yet.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

BallyM5 just did this, here is the name of the thread "Fitted sport comfort seats in fully electric and both memory best mod"
Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are these the seats that come in the 7 series by default?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Members

Are the sport seats the same as the comfort seats? I have the bolster thing that moves forward for your thighs. I hate these seats. I know most people like them but the sides are too steep for me and cause numbness in my legs when driving for extended periods of time. I'd be willing to part with them for something more simple if I can find them.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by aharper
Are the sport seats the same as the comfort seats? I have the bolster thing that moves forward for your thighs. I hate these seats. I know most people like them but the sides are too steep for me and cause numbness in my legs when driving for extended periods of time. I'd be willing to part with them for something more simple if I can find them.
no
Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Here is a clip of the comfort seats.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
there was a DIY on the headrest only but as for the entire seats, I don't think I've seen one yet.

This is the DIY i used to install mine. I went a step further and took the 'pillows' to a custom upholestry shop and had them extended a few inches. This dramatically shortened the gap between the back of my head and the head rests.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aharper

I have the basic seats with the heated and lumbar support options. I have been looking for comfort or sports seats so if your seats are cream beige and you want to trade let me know.

Quick Reply: Comfort seats