E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 545i - Vacuum Pump Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

I recently discovered that Vacuum pump has a small oil leak. Looks like it's a common problem at my mileage (82k)

My mechanic cleaned it and said that it's not critical at all and I can drive with that (of course unless I want to spend money and pay for new vacuum pump + job=$700)
Extended warranty refused to cover this (I was surprised by the way)
What are your opinions, if I drive with this leak, can this affect car's performance in any way or get worth?

Thank you
Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Personally I am very paranoid about keeping things in a disfunctional state with my car. It eats away at me until I fix it and have peace of mind. I suggest you do the same and just get it done. Find a good indy mechanic and forget the stealership for this. Get the part from Garry at Newport BMW for the E60.net discount.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Members

Basicly the pump is stupid easy to rebuild, if the parts were avaiable. I can't find them anywhere. But to have them made would be pretty easy. Its one o-ring in the housing that needs to be spec'd out to fit right. And the rotor is 3 pieces. All plastic. A rectangular rotor about 3x1.75x.5" that spins and 2 tips that slip in between the housing and the rectangle rotor. One would have to have new tips mad to replace the worn ones, and a new o-ring. That is pretty much it. Its a really simple device. I can get it for about $350 for a buddy at a dealer. But I would love to either get ahold of those pieces or make new ones. But most people here on the board are scared and would rather just get bent over.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'd try and fix that eventually. jprovence has a point about rebuilding, but he is right too about most people not wanting to mess with all that.

Vlad, what was the extended warranty company's argument for not covering it? Wear item? Is it really? You do know that you can try to fight for it a bit, right?

Either way, hope its gonna all work out for you, buddy.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Vlad, what was the extended warranty company's argument for not covering it? Wear item? Is it really? You do know that you can try to fight for it a bit, right?
+1

My pump was replaced @ ~80k under CPO for leaking. It is a critical component to the braking system (its sole purpose is to provide vacuum [akaower] to the brake master, so that you have "power assisted" brakes). It is NOT a wear/tear item and should be covered by the warranty.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'd try and fix that eventually. jprovence has a point about rebuilding, but he is right too about most people not wanting to mess with all that.

Either way, hope its gonna all work out for you, buddy.
Thank you for your advices. I figured, that i will need to replace it anyway for peace of mind.

And yes, warranty said: "Wear Item". I will try one more time, hope they change their mind. They probably wish they never sold me this warranty, because they are upside down already. They paid me more for my repairs then warranty worth.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Members

how do you put the pump back on ? How do you aline the flap with the cam shaft.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by derik
how do you put the pump back on ? How do you aline the flap with the cam shaft.
use a mirror to see which way the slot is on the camshaft, then turn the pump flange roughly in the same direction.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport LCI Tails w/ V6 Cables MTEC 2.1 AE's 6K HID Xenon 6K HID Fogs HID Reverse Kit Front LED Turn signals LED Sidemarkers Eugene Eyebrow Mod Ricky's Brake effect Mod Fade on/off AE's and LCI Rods M5 cluster mod Interior/Trunk LED's License Plate LED's All Lighting parts thanks to John (Brabusw209amg)! All mods done by Simon (nomis_nehc) and Jorge (GS) LCI tails thanks to double s! V6 cables thanks to Bruce!

I just got a multi-point inspection, and the dealer notified me that I need to replace my vacuum pump as well. Said it was not critical, as it was not leaking much, but said that if it starts leaking a lot it will become a problem (duh). Quoted around 800 I believe to get fixed *sigh*. Will have to get it done eventually.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by the5rivers
I just got a multi-point inspection, and the dealer notified me that I need to replace my vacuum pump as well. Said it was not critical, as it was not leaking much, but said that if it starts leaking a lot it will become a problem (duh). Quoted around 800 I believe to get fixed *sigh*. Will have to get it done eventually.
are you mechanically inclined?
fix it yourself for next to nothing.

check out this thread and post 24
https://5series.net/forums/topic/912...n/page__st__15

Quick Reply: 2005 545i - Vacuum Pump Oil Leak