E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 535xi engine malfunction & fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 535xi engine malfunction & fuel pump

95,000 miles. Replaced HPFP & low pressure fuel pump sensor last month at the dealer.

The car turns off with engine malfunction and fuel pump error message. After 30 min car starts back up and drives fine. Happens once every week or so. My indy guy says there's no error/fault codes so he doesn't want to try to fix it as he doesn't know what it can be.

I'm stumped! How can I fix something if I don't know what it could be! Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

If you get an engine malfunction icon and a fuel pump error message, there are codes stored, even if currently not present. Regardless, if you had the pump and sensor replaced at the dealer a month ago, why not have them take a look? I'm pretty sure you have a 2 year parts/labor warranty.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:40 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by DanL
If you get an engine malfunction icon and a fuel pump error message, there are codes stored, even if currently not present. Regardless, if you had the pump and sensor replaced at the dealer a month ago, why not have them take a look? I'm pretty sure you have a 2 year parts/labor warranty.
No codes stored. I have tried getting codes pulled. Nothing.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Manfrombklyn23@aol.com
No codes stored. I have tried getting codes pulled. Nothing.
what device/software are you using to retrieve fault codes?
Old 06-19-2016, 03:44 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
what device/software are you using to retrieve fault codes?
Tbh I have no idea. Not to savvy with these things. Once was at my Indy shop. The second time was at pep boys and there they used two different kinds of devices and still no codes stored. Both mechanics seem baffled. I was told that even if the error message goes away, after the 2nd or 3rd time that it happens it will be stored on the ECU but nothing. So frustrating. Do you think the dealer has the capability to dig deeper into the ECU?
Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If the lights goes off in the car once it is stored and sometimes just when the car sees anything out the ordinary and does not trigger the CEL. If you are only reading ECU errors then you will not get the info messages you need to see. I would hook INPA up to the car or get someone who knows how to actually read the modules in full to diagnose the issue.

ex. my car had a fan box issue that does not trigger the CEL but effects the car performance and sometimes would not crank. Once I hooked my laptop up I saw the info message that my fan in the ECU box was having issues causing the ECU to overheat. I changed the fan cleared the message and have not had an issue since.

I had a friend with diagnosing issues just like you and it was because they were not using the right tool/software. Once he came over and I plugged my laptop up to it I found the issue in less than a minute. PepBoys/Advance Auto/ and others alike can not effectively diagnose a foreign car because they do not have what is needed to see info messages. If the check engine light is not on they cant see whats going on. Unless you have a shop that has spent the money on the correct tool

Last edited by seanjordan20; 06-20-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Manfrombklyn23@aol.com
Tbh I have no idea. Not to savvy with these things. Once was at my Indy shop. The second time was at pep boys and there they used two different kinds of devices and still no codes stored. Both mechanics seem baffled. I was told that even if the error message goes away, after the 2nd or 3rd time that it happens it will be stored on the ECU but nothing. So frustrating. Do you think the dealer has the capability to dig deeper into the ECU?
Yes they have deeper capabilities to look.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:27 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
If the lights goes off in the car once it is stored and sometimes just when the car sees anything out the ordinary and does not trigger the CEL. If you are only reading ECU errors then you will not get the info messages you need to see. I would hook INPA up to the car or get someone who knows how to actually read the modules in full to diagnose the issue.

ex. my car had a fan box issue that does not trigger the CEL but effects the car performance and sometimes would not crank. Once I hooked my laptop up I saw the info message that my fan in the ECU box was having issues causing the ECU to overheat. I changed the fan cleared the message and have not had an issue since.

I had a friend with diagnosing issues just like you and it was because they were not using the right tool/software. Once he came over and I plugged my laptop up to it I found the issue in less than a minute. PepBoys/Advance Auto/ and others alike can not effectively diagnose a foreign car because they do not have what is needed to see info messages. If the check engine light is not on they cant see whats going on. Unless you have a shop that has spent the money on the correct tool
Thank you for your reply. I have no clue what a CEL sis lol but what I'm gathering from you is to take it to the dealer and let them diagnose it as they will no doubt have the right program or software. I believe they charge $125 to do so. I'll drop the car off today thanks.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Yes they have deeper capabilities to look.
Thank you. I'll have it dropped off immediately.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:05 AM
New Members

Thanks for the advice. BMW was able to read into the computer deeper even though my Indy shop and pep boys were not able to. They found that the low pressure fuel pump went bad. They quoted me $1,900.00, I said no thank you. They charged me $210 for the diagnostics. I got the part from RM European for $260 and my Indy shop will install for $100 bucks!

Quick Reply: 08 535xi engine malfunction & fuel pump