E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

05 530d E60 cranking but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d e60
Default 05 530d E60 cranking but not starting

Hello everyone

I have a 2005 530d E60 and 1 day last week I went out tried to start the car and nothing, I brought and fitted a new battery as I thought that was the problem but it turned out to be a faulty starter motor. I purchased a new starter which I fitted yesterday(wow what a job) everything back together I jumped into the drivers seat and anxiously pushed the start button, the engine cranked over by would not start.

I reluctantly removed the throttle housing hose and sprayed some easy start into the throttle housing whilst a mate pushed the start button and the engine ran for about one or two seconds. Also I noticed that there is no noise indicating the fuel pump is priming, does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be ??

Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 07:22 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Have you checked the fuses?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 AM
New Members

Yes checked fuel pump fuses, are there any other fuses I should check ?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Only the fuel pump fuse ones come to mind. Especially since you successful ran on starting fluid for a couple seconds. First thought is lack of fuel. I suppose the car might start without glow plugs working when using starting fluid, but once the car starts it gets easier to start if the glow plugs aren't working or one or two are out - at least that's how my old Mercedes diesel behaved. You might try to pull the codes to see if the computer is complaining about anything.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:40 PM
New Members

Ok I checked the fuel pump and this seems to be working ok so I checked the fuel delivery hose in the engine bay and I'm getting fuel there so I called a breakdown company and got them to do a diagnostics. There was a fault code showing a fault with the fuel pressure regulator, when I remove the intake manifold I unplugged the wire to the fuel pressure regulator on the rear of the fuel rail by the bulk head as I thought it was clipped to the manifold and I didn't want it to get damaged when I removed the manifold. Once the manifold was off I noticed that it wasn't attached and I plugged it back into the regulator. The breakdown person wasn't 100% it's the regulator though as he was unable to get a live reading from it despite getting live readings from everything else, could it be a faulty regulator that's causing the engine to turn over but not start ??
Old 02-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If it was working fine before the starter going bad then chances are its something you missed during re-installation. Did you you press the gas when it started to get the fuel going or let it die out. There is something that has changed. try spraying the connector to the regulator
Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d

I cannot recall if this is the case on these engines,but on quite a few bmw engines the crank sensor is under / close to the starter, any chance its unplugged or got damaged?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
New Members

Hey guys sorry it's been a while for my update but I've been in hospital having my gallbladder removed, anyhow since I'm unable to do too much heavy work I've managed to get a mate round to help 😀 now we have removed the intake manifold in order to check all the connections are connected and all was well so we then continued to remove the fuel pressure regulator. As we removed the regulator I told my mate to get a rag and expect some fuel spillage but there was nothing not even a dribble, so there's no fuel in the fuel rail at all, could this be because the regulator is faulty therefore telling the Ecm not to supply any fuel ? as I know there's fuel coming into the engine bay up to the high pressure pump.

Also whilst my friend was undoing the top intake manifold bolts he's managed to break 1, does anyone know if these can be replaced and also how you replace them as they don't come out of the manifold when they're undone ??
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 AM
New Members

Ok I've had another look today and I removed the fuel return hose and turned the ignition on and there's fuel coming out so there's fuel getting to the fuel rail but still not igniting so must be an injector problem.

Anyone got any ideas ??? ��
Old 03-02-2015, 12:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d

Originally Posted by evolotion
I cannot recall if this is the case on these engines,but on quite a few bmw engines the crank sensor is under / close to the starter, any chance its unplugged or got damaged?
did you check this?

does the rev counter move when cranking?

you need diagnostic gear from this point, anything else is just guessing.

to fix the bolt, cut the head off with a grinder(block all the ports up so dust doesnt get into the inlet) drill the hole slightly larger in the brass insert, purchase a suitable bolt and install, and be more carefull. MUCH more carefull, theres a lot of stuff going on there thats more fragile than an inlet bolt that could brake.

Quick Reply: 05 530d E60 cranking but not starting