DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

V8 N62 Valve Cover Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007
Default V8 N62 Valve Cover Removal Help

I am in the process of replacing my valve cover & upper timing case gaskets. I have removed all the necessary bolts and got the valve cover loose but still having issues getting the cover out. I have moved the coolant and power steering reservoir out the way. I also have loosened and moved the silver AC pipe as far down as possible. I am also being extra careful not to damage eccentric shaft sensor as I remove the cover. Does anyone have any tips of what else I could move to give me more space for removal. Thanks

Name:  20150315_092621_zpsvngnnsgp.jpg
Views: 17584
Size:  669.1 KB

Name:  20150314_194328_zps1gdnnktd.jpg
Views: 17483
Size:  322.1 KB
Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by ironb
I am in the process of replacing my valve cover & upper timing case gaskets. I have removed all the necessary bolts and got the valve cover loose but still having issues getting the cover out. I have moved the coolant and power steering reservoir out the way. I also have loosened and moved the silver AC pipe as far down as possible. I am also being extra careful not to damage eccentric shaft sensor as I remove the cover. Does anyone have any tips of what else I could move to give me more space for removal. Thanks
What seems to be in the way? Im planning on doing this DIY in the next couple of weeks. Some that Ive seen suggest taking out the air duct that sits on the firewall, from your pics seems like you still have it in.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B

It's catching on the silver AC pipe in the top left corner in the first picture. The air duct is not in the way. I am going to see if I move the AC pipe up just far enough to get the valve cover to clear the eccentric sensor and then pull it forward.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

It's catching on the silver AC pipe in the top left corner in the first picture. The air duct is not in the way. I am going to see if I move the AC pipe up just far enough to get the valve cover to clear the eccentric sensor and then pull it forward.
Sorry for the late reply didnt have notification on...How'd you make out with this? That line can be pushed down pretty far without damage had to do it when I put in new plugs.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 PM
Contributors

Finally got everything back together tonight. Probably the most tedious and longest project I have done on a car. The key to getting the valve cover out is removing the cabin duct work. There are seven screws to remove to get it off. Once you removed the duct work there is enough room to remove the valve cover without damaging the eccentric sensors.
I used the following post to help me:
E63 E64 N62 V8 Valve Cover Removal W/ Pics DIY - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 03-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Finally got everything back together tonight. Probably the most tedious and longest project I have done on a car. The key to getting the valve cover out is removing the cabin duct work. There are seven screws to remove to get it off. Once you removed the duct work there is enough room to remove the valve cover without damaging the eccentric sensors.
I used the following post to help me:
E63 E64 N62 V8 Valve Cover Removal W/ Pics DIY - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Glad to know that helped I have that DIY to use as a reference along with one other. Are there any other tips you have not outlined in the above DIY? Planing on tackling this is the next 2 weeks.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Glad to know that helped I have that DIY to use as a reference along with one other. Are there any other tips you have not outlined in the above DIY? Planing on tackling this is the next 2 weeks.
Overall it's a tough job but with a lot of patience and time it can be done by anyone with mechanical ability. Make sure you have a long reach magnet in case you drop any bolts in the small cervices. Also have some synthetic grease to lube all the seals as you reassemble, it will help as new o-rings are larger and make difficult to push sensor back in. When removing the valve cover I used the eccentric shaft sensor as my pivot point as I pulled the cover up first and then rotated it towards the center of the engine once I cleared the valve shaft. I can't stress it enough but removing the duct work on the firewall made a world of difference in giving enough clearance to grab the back of the valve cover to pull straight up. I also used a heat gun to soften up the seal to remove the cover. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by ironb; 03-29-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Overall it's a tough job but with a lot of patience and time it can be done by anyone with mechanical ability. Make sure you have a long reach magnet in case you drop any bolts in the small cervices. Also have some synthetic grease to lube all the seals as you reassemble, it will help as new o-rings are larger and make difficult to push sensor back in. When removing the valve cover I used the eccentric shaft sensor as my pivot point as I pulled the cover up first and then rotated it towards the center of the engine once I cleared the valve shaft. I can't stress it enough but removing the duct work on the firewall made a world of difference in giving enough clearance to grab the back of the valve cover to pull straight up. I also used a heat gun to soften up the seal to remove the cover. Good Luck!!!
Understandable thats usually what I hear. Im pretty confident I can get it done. Ive managed most of the repairs on this car alone. Once I did the alternator bracket gasket I never took my car back to a mechanic, sometime I ask for second opinions but thats rare these forums usually have enough information.Appreciate the help let you know how this goes.

One more thing I see people mentioning using spacers to tighten some of the bolts one the cover did you have that problem?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Contributors

I did not run into any issues to tighten the bolts.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

I did not run into any issues to tighten the bolts.
Hell of a job but I got it done.... Took me a weekend I did a side a day passenger side was easier than the driver side. I could cut down on the time if I did it again.