DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

SOS button = Speed Of Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 m54b25
Default SOS button = Speed Of Sound

it was actually easier than i thot it was going to be. For those of you who have nothing better to do with your time than f*** up some wiring, i have successfully re-assigned my eject-o cover light up SOS button to act as my "e60 sport mode unlock" button.

DIY:
Use your man hands to grip the SOS button and pull it down/out and unplug it.
Should be a 4 pin white plug. the 2 outside wires are power and ground for the illumination/dimmer.
the 2 inside wires are where you want to put your 2 pins you created for your DIY sport mode button.
take a needle and un-pin the 2 inside wires of the SOS 4-pin white plug.
Run the 2 wires from your current sport button setup through the dash and up the A-pillar and plug them into the 2 inside terminals of the white plug.
Plug it back in to the SOS button and press the SOS button away back into its nest.
(2 wires from terminal 2 and 3 of white SOS plug to back of DSC button pretty much)
BAM. works like a charm.
just tape up the 2 original SOS wires u took out so they don't touch.
Do I need to state the obvious.... Your SOS button will no longer be able to send out an SOS. and you can remove your old inferior sport mode button.

Last edited by route60six; 11-04-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

that is actually a really cool idea.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 m54b25
Cool

So far 2140 km and no SOS call error message. Lol I don't have a scan tool any more so idk if there's any hidden faults, but @ 200k miles on the kombi im not in a hurry to go get it plugged in just out of curiosity. Now I need to figure out something to cover the big ugly hole I cut in my center console where I had my old sport button half-ass'd into place before I had this brilliant solution