DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Retrofit or Installing footwell lights to a UK 01/2006 car

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Since you followed my instructions can you tell me if you recollect seeing the part as shown in http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37504 I still have this part on my study table to remind me to be more careful the next time.

Why dont you do the trunk light retrofit too. I'll probably do that some other time myself.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='458312' date='Aug 14 2007, 01:12 AM
Since you followed my instructions can you tell me if you recollect seeing the part as shown in http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37504 I still have this part on my study table to remind me to be more careful the next time.

Why dont you do the trunk light retrofit too. I'll probably do that some other time myself.
I only read your post about extra part after I completed my project. I did not notice that part at all. Sorry.

BTW: sometimes cars have extra parts from production line or from dealer which does not belong to car at all. I have found an extra screwdriver from Volvo and I have even heard a story that an other new Volvo had worker's lunch sandwiches below floor carpet. What a smell at time of the delivery at dealer.

Does Touring also have extra light in Trunk? There is already two as a standard, but extra light is always welcome during dark winter here in Finland.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Contributors

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but does anybody know if the LCI is meant to have ambient foot well lighting? I have the extended light package, and have orange glows in lots of places and the white led under mirror lights ... but nothing in the footwell.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='506648' date='Dec 14 2007, 11:01 AM
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but does anybody know if the LCI is meant to have ambient foot well lighting? I have the extended light package, and have orange glows in lots of places and the white led under mirror lights ... but nothing in the footwell.
Not even if you open the door?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Great DIY!

I just installed footwell lights according to your recipy on my LHD E60 2005, and it works well, although I want to make an improvement to your DIY.

Instead of using eyelets for the ground wires, I attached them to the original ground points.

In the right footwell the collection of ground-wires are in a black box located above the fuse panel, beside the airbag. It has lots of brown cables going into it. You have to twist the box about 30 degrees to release the box. The different sections of the groundbox can be separated. The section which belongs to the right footwell light is the one with many brown/yellow stripe wires. There are two spare pins in this section. Attach part #61131387142 or #61131387140 (depending on the wire thickness) to the ground wire from the light and attach it to the section. This is the same way for the left footwell light.
This way it is done according to wiring diagram and factory like.

Tommy.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 525DTM

I've just undergone this process :-) You do not really have to use pins 53 and 54, you may hook your +12V to a pin 52 (main lights on ceiling), works just fine... and for us unfamiliar with "basemodul" it is the black box behind fuse box, not the alu one... that plug is a very left one
Old 11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by StreetPro' post='716453' date='Nov 9 2008, 09:01 PM
I've just undergone this process :-) You do not really have to use pins 53 and 54, you may hook your +12V to a pin 52 (main lights on ceiling), works just fine... and for us unfamiliar with "basemodul" it is the black box behind fuse box, not the alu one... that plug is a very left one
I wanted to install these in the factory positions.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

I installed these to my LCI 525d MSport today.

Took me just under two hours and cost ?17.

The hardest thing was working out how to remove the trim. Now I know how, the installation would be much quicker.

The only problem I had was on the drivers side when one of the cables was snagged by the sterring column. Whipped off the trim and with a bit more care routing the cables was fixed in 10 minutes.

Another observation, is that on the glovebox side (my car is RHD) the feeder cables with the contacts can simply be joined rather than having to be extended with blue or brown wire.

Now have lots of lights on when unlocking the car!

Thanks, Bruce for the DIY.

I may fit the extra boot light next - not that I need one, but it is nice to fiddle!

Regards,
Old 03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Members

Can someone post a picture of the footwell lights after the upgrade and that parts used

Originally Posted by 525d MSport' post='823155' date='Mar 21 2009, 09:16 PM
I installed these to my LCI 525d MSport today.

Took me just under two hours and cost ?17.

The hardest thing was working out how to remove the trim. Now I know how, the installation would be much quicker.

The only problem I had was on the drivers side when one of the cables was snagged by the sterring column. Whipped off the trim and with a bit more care routing the cables was fixed in 10 minutes.

Another observation, is that on the glovebox side (my car is RHD) the feeder cables with the contacts can simply be joined rather than having to be extended with blue or brown wire.

Now have lots of lights on when unlocking the car!

Thanks, Bruce for the DIY.

I may fit the extra boot light next - not that I need one, but it is nice to fiddle!

Regards,
Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by rborhara' post='825663' date='Mar 25 2009, 06:33 AM
Can someone post a picture of the footwell lights after the upgrade and that parts used
Hope this help
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...i&img=13500

Quick Reply: Retrofit or Installing footwell lights to a UK 01/2006 car