DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Retrofit or Installing footwell lights to a UK 01/2006 car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I thought I'd write an article of how to install the lights in the footwells as found in the extended lights package. Total time taken about 1.5 including all the research within the WDS. Main pain is knowing what parts to buy in advance so that you can finish the job in one sitting. Hopefully this will help you with that. I bought all parts from BMW or Maplins (www.maplins.co.uk).

Parts required for footwell lights
  • 2 x GLOVE COMPARTMENT AND FOOTWELL, FRONT INTERIOR LIGHT 63316962040 = ?9.80
  • 2 x UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING UNCODED 3 POL. 61138377072 = ?1.36
  • 6 x BUSHING CONTACT 0,2- 0,5MM? 61130005197 (N.B. these contacts come with a foot of black wire attached to each of of them) = ?4.38
  • 2 x Eyelet 5.3mm (Maplins code JH62S) = ?0.79
  • about 4 meters of medium grade wire for the +12V live. If you want it exactly colour coded it needs to be Blue wire with a Red strip (left) and Blue wire with a White strip (right). (I found Blue in Maplin code XR33L)
  • about 2 feet of medium grade wire for the -12V ground. If you want it exactly colour coded it needs to be Brown wire (I found Brown in Maplin code XR34M)
Other non specific items like insulating tape, cable ties, solder and iron and shrink wrap as needed.

How to :

1. Remove plastic trim pieces from driver and passenger footwells.
2. Remove glovebox.
3. Remove fuse panel from behind glovebox.
4. Remove the 54 pin plug X13252 from the light module behind the fuse panel.
5. Open up the 54 pin plug X13252 and insert two 61130005197 into positions 53 (right) and 54 (left). You will need to lift a side catch flap in order for the connector to go completely and snap into the plug.
6. Connect two blue wires to the ends of the connectors and then secure them carefully to the existing wiring harness using tape or ties.
7. Run one blue wire across the center console to the drivers side footwell.
8. Attach two Eyelets to 2 pieces of Brown wire at one end each.
9. Attach one Eyelet behind one of the screws of the fuse panel for -12V on the passengers side.
10. Attach one Eyelet behind one of the nuts which holds another light module on the drivers side.
11. Run the blue and brown wires to holes in the footwell trim pieces that holds the light sockets.
12. Attach the blue and brown wires to four 61130005197 connectors.
13. Insert the blue wire connector into pin 3 of the UNIVERSAL SOCKETs 61138377072. Insert the brown wire connector into pin 1 of the UNIVERSAL SOCKETs 61138377072.
14. Put back everything letting the wires hang out of the holes cuts in the trim pieces where the lights go.
15. Connect the lights up and you now have footwell lights which come on with the other interior lights.

Watch out for bits remaining after you put everything back like http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37504 and http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=36818 More seriously if you can help me find out where those parts go please help.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it'd be great if u could post pics and a step by step illustrations would be much appreciated.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

sorry didnt take a camera into the car when I was doing this. However the pictures in the WDS are reasonably clear. If i do remove the parts for something else then I'll removed pictures. But at the rate I which I have parts coming loose I don't think I'll have much of a car left in a while.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributors

I'm not interested in the extra light in the boot and that is a very easy retrofit too. Has anyone else done any other Interior lights retrofits.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

You say the fitting of the extra light in the boot is easy to do, could you quickly explain how it is done?

cheers.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

Again a great job, I wanted to do this also but had no senso of "how".
Now I can do it.
What I?ve done is retrofitting the LED in the mirrors (extended light package).
For the LEDs in the door panels I?d to drill holes in it, and thats something I realy don?t want to do.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 AM
Contributors

The extra boot light goes on the boot lid itself. Basically the reason the boot lid connection is simple is because both boot lights in the boot are connected in parallel. So all you need to do is install the second boot light and run the wires to the existing boot light and connect them up.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Retrofit or Installing footwell lights to a UK 01/2006 car-2ndbootlight.jpg

The 2nd boot light seems to go in the lid but there is no cut out for it. So you will need to cut the black fabric where you see the rectangular depression for the light. See image from TIS but can anyone who has the extended lights package confirm where this light is or better still post a picture.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Thanks for detailed instructions Bruce!

I just ordered the parts for this mod from my local dealer. They will come from Sweden, so I expect to have them in begin of next week. I can take some photos of installation, if anyone is interested.

I'm also interested add LED's to doors, but so far I have not found enough information about wiring. "Harry" suggested connect wires to window switch and that sound a good idea. According the realoem.com there is only one type of wire harness available for each door, but I do believe that. To get some more knowledge and confidence before ordering LED's and other parts, I ordered WDS from eBay. Great summer holiday reading...

If any one else has been investigating door LED installation or have completed it, all hints are welcome!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Now I have footwell lights installed. It went just like Bruce described.

If You have ever installed car stereo, the wiring is just piece of cake. There is so many wires behind of fuse box that I decided disconnect battery, but otherwise I followed instructions above. I also had TIS available and I have to say it's essential to have TIS, if you want remove all panels and glovebox without breaking any connectors.

After all pieces were back in place (Nothing left over ) I started car and I got three error messages to iDrive about 4WD, DSC and start control. Scary.... But they disappeared after I drove 20 meters. I think that system needed some calibration after battery was disconnected.

I have some pictures, which might be useful to others planning this retrofit. I will add pics to my gallery a bit later.

About Door LED's: According WDS MY2006 Cars has new control module, which includes also door lights. The only possible way to do it seems to be connecting LED's to window switch light. I do not want do that as long as my car has factory warranty. I will return to this project next year. I just want LED's to doors....

Quick Reply: Retrofit or Installing footwell lights to a UK 01/2006 car