DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is not problem for car with DPF ?
a BMW technican said me that if i remove the swirl flap, the DPF will be clogged

that's true ?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Bullshit, then the 525d LCI would have problems as it doesn't have them.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Members

i've an e60 530xd made in 12/2006 with renforced flaps but i've noticed an oil leak on the intake manifold near the flaps... i bought on ebay the blank plates (33mm) but i finally hesitate to set them.
there is not power losting after removing flaps?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Mine is made one month after yours and I removed them. They look fine though, but its not worth the risk. Fact that some like the 525d LCI doesn't have them convinced me. Felt no difference, when you need power they are open anyway.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
New Members

Default A thousand thanks

Antti -

:notwo rthy:

Thanks you so much for your awesome DIY!

Yesterday I removed my swirl flaps and replaced with blanking plugs from PMW. Although I knew I'd have the sturdier flaps ('07 LCI), the car has hit 107k miles and I find myself anticipating the crunching sound of swirl flaps in the engine and wanted piece of mind. The flaps are now in a bag in my garage where they are pretty unlikely to be slamming aroung the innards of my engine

I kept my Haynes Workshop Manual open as a backup, but frankly your hints, details and photos were the only thing I needed (and much better than Haynes manual).

Usual minor mishaps - one of the orange bushes dropped (found it no probs). Reading this and other posts, the two vital things I bought in advance were (and anyone should get them in their toolkit before making the car undriveable!):
  • Torx T45 (£1.87 delivered from Amazon)
  • Magnetic pick up tool (£1.79 Amazon!)

Some stuff that may be useful for others to know - note this is for a 2007 LCI 530d (57 plate as we say in the UK ):
  • The lower seven nuts in the manifold were 11mm (the only socket size I didn't have, of course...)
  • On your section "2 Removing the intake manifold", plug 2 was held in place with a wire clip on the underside - need to get a small flat-blade screwdriver underneath it and push down.
  • A can of Carb cleaner helped to sort the EGR out
  • I wish I had replaced the gaskets as they were pretty rigid and very oily - anyone else de-flapping might want to get some gaskets in too.
  • Both vaccuum tubes (swirl flap and EGR) were seized on, needing cut off and cleaned up - I used a tiny bit of washing up liquid to get them back on again.
  • Be careful when trying to pull the vaccuum tubes off, mine were also dozed - be happy to slice them off rather than risk tearing them, there's enough slack for them to lose 1 or 2cm.

I think that's it, thanks again for the brilliant thread, may it live forever!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Members

De flapped my 525d today as well. It's a bit of a job but then I did do alot, egr cleaning, main thermostat replace, egr thermo replace, collant flush, air filter change, cabin particule filter change, oil change, oil filter change. Yeh, the works.

About the flappy things. 4 out of 6 were fine, 1 was stuck and had bits of the rubber missing, the other one should've gone down the engine, was loose, but got stuck in the murk of the sooth that accumalted over it's 150KKM buildup. It was high time I looked at it!

Also installed and coded a AUX cable. Hehe. Busy day, lots of fun though. Had no screws left over, so it was a good run.
Thanks to Anzafin and his great writeup.

I too went with the complete cut-off and just keeping the swirly flappies head to re-insert. Blanks are a waste of money.

Took car out for a drive, temp went up to 92c and triggered dpf burn. Before thermo swaps it stuck to 76 max and performance was down, gears felt sluggish. All amended now and mpg went up.

Lost some skin and smeared some blood but a good day all in all.

Thank you forum!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Good job guys!

- Antti -
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Members

So Something has been bothering me. When I took off my manifold it became apparent that I wasn't the first one to attempt this as there were some bits missing.
Ie this here indicated by the green arrow :

Name:  thingy_zps5aee7f43.png
Views: 518
Size:  58.7 KB

So I'm missing two of these orange grommets and the steel/inox tubes with the black grommet on it.

Does anyone know what the part number of these are? I cannot find it

cheers
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Here: RealOEM.com BMW E60 525d Intake manifold-AGR - Vacuum-controlled

- Rubber Mounting 11612246947
- Backup ring 11612246949

And you're sure they didn't drop when you removed the manifold?

- Antti -
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Members

Thx Anzafin, I've placed the order with my local bmw.
Yes, pretty sure as I've removed the groundplate so that I could flush the coolant from the radiator. When I lifted it up I only did it 2-3 cm and used a mirror to look for other cables etc.
Also.. the inox pipe with black grommet was replaced by something vinyl/pvc like.. that gave it away

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine