DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

That is one hell of a DIY write-up!

And the actual work looks so frightening that I would be happy to drive to Kajaani and pay you (in beer) to do it for me!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='787865' date='Feb 8 2009, 07:43 PM
That is one hell of a DIY write-up!

And the actual work looks so frightening that I would be happy to drive to Kajaani and pay you (in beer) to do it for me!
I would do it for a beer !
But I think there are some folks near you who could do it. Even some dealers do it nowadays!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='787874' date='Feb 8 2009, 08:03 PM
I would do it for a beer !
But I think there are some folks near you who could do it. Even some dealers do it nowadays!
Sure, but doing it locally would, A) deny you free beer, and, deny me a long drive up north!

Actually, I will ask about this from Metro Auto the next time that I go there. The service manager is very good at what he does (and drives an E60!), so it will be interesting to see if he knows about this issue.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

I did this on my 320d but as far as I know the 2.5d engine doesn't have them. Definately gives you peace of mind but I did notice the lag was worse after doing this. Probably not as big an issue with the 3.0d over the 2.0d though.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chesney72' post='787890' date='Feb 8 2009, 08:19 PM
I did this on my 320d but as far as I know the 2.5d engine doesn't have them. Definately gives you peace of mind but I did notice the lag was worse after doing this. Probably not as big an issue with the 3.0d over the 2.0d though.
I haven't driven much after the job, but didn't notice any difference anywhere. Tomorrow morning I drive a 500km trip so enough time to test it out though!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='787888' date='Feb 8 2009, 08:16 PM
Sure, but doing it locally would, A) deny you free beer, and, deny me a long drive up north!

Actually, I will ask about this from Metro Auto the next time that I go there. The service manager is very good at what he does (and drives an E60!), so it will be interesting to see if he knows about this issue.
Hmmm... . So welcome to Kajaani then !

You go and ask and immediately report here hehe!
I guess they say that the flaps can't broke in reinforced system. I doubt that since someone told on the BTCF forum about a 2005 535d which was broken caused by swirl flap failure.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525DSE Auto Touring. 2004 54 plate Metalic saffire Black, Active Steering. 18 Inch Style 124 Alloys, falken 452s Beige Leather Dark Poplar Wood Trim xenon bulb upgrade blutooth phone prep

excellent DIY man
Old 02-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributors

ok...are you ready for this......................

all went fine with the 530d about 4 hours start to finnish

now the 535d... not so easy...and its still in bits, let me explain.....

everything came apart easily, but on removing the inlet manifold top, i caught it on a pipe and jogged it a bit......and one of the orange round rubber seals (with the metal washer attached to it) came off....and i cant find it anywhere
i have looked all over the engine bay......i have removed the large under tray to look underneath...
the only thing i can think of is.......its fallen into the inlet hole on the cylinder head..
i have tried to look/poke and used a flexable magnet but to no avail...i am slightly worried to say the least, if it is in there i can not put her back together because that would be catastrophic for the engine....but if its not, ie: sitting somewhare else, i dont want to strip the head down, as its a major job....dilema, i am going to look again tomorrow with better light......
ironic that this job was to prevent bits falling into the inlet chamber.
oh, and my swirl flaps are compleatly different to your pics. they have seperate flaps not connected to the housing like yours. i will post pics tomorrow (low priority at the moment

how deep is the inlet holes into the head? any ideas on how to check if its in there?
might nick a endascope from work
help.............
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='788041' date='Feb 8 2009, 05:13 PM
ok...are you ready for this......................

all went fine with the 530d about 4 hours start to finnish

now the 535d... not so easy...and its still in bits, let me explain.....

everything came apart easily, but on removing the inlet manifold top, i caught it on a pipe and jogged it a bit......and one of the orange round rubber seals (with the metal washer attached to it) came off....and i cant find it anywhere
i have looked all over the engine bay......i have removed the large under tray to look underneath...
the only thing i can think of is.......its fallen into the inlet hole on the cylinder head..
i have tried to look/poke and used a flexable magnet but to no avail...i am slightly worried to say the least, if it is in there i can not put her back together because that would be catastrophic for the engine....but if its not, ie: sitting somewhare else, i dont want to strip the head down, as its a major job....dilema, i am going to look again tomorrow with better light......
ironic that this job was to prevent bits falling into the inlet chamber.
oh, and my swirl flaps are compleatly different to your pics. they have seperate flaps not connected to the housing like yours. i will post pics tomorrow (low priority at the moment

how deep is the inlet holes into the head? any ideas on how to check if its in there?
might nick a endascope from work
help.............
Holy crap Dr Dave.....this really sucks man, sorry to hear, .........hope you don't have to also deal with a disaproving spouse with that ...'I told you so look', rubbing salt into it.
I was just about to suggest an endoscope......some repair shops have them...maybe you can rent one.....hope you find it in better lighting.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Contributors

girlfriends already given me a hard time...."why did you do that to your car when it was fine???"
in the morning im going to have a good look, and if no joy im going to tyr to hire a fibrescope or small endoscope, and have a look. better to be safe than sorry.
i bet it turns up in my pocket or something

still its not the end of the world.
and when done ill have peice of mind again.

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine