DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Remove rear bumper E61

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to install a towbar on my E61 and I'm having some problems when trying to remove the rear bumper. I've found a lot of good advice on the E60, but I haven't found anything on the E61. Anyone know if it's the same procedure? I would be very grateful if anyone can supply me with some good info!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

The procedure is very similar to the E60,

Undo the screws at the rear of the wheel arch, as well as removing the little plastic rivet each side underneath.
Remove the rivets from under the centre of the bumper at the back.
Remove the covers adjacent to the rear lights and undo the screws that are revealed.

Gently pull the front of the bumper away from the wheelarch, away from the side of the car, to release the bumper.
Then, with assistance, pull the whole bumper rearwards.
Don't forget to undo the PDC wires when you get a bit of clearance.

It looks easier to do on the E61 than the E60 because you don't have to remove the inner side panels - although you'll be removing them for doing the wiring anyway.

Mike
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='954381' date='Jul 26 2009, 01:06 AM
The procedure is very similar to the E60,

Undo the screws at the rear of the wheel arch, as well as removing the little plastic rivet each side underneath.
Remove the rivets from under the centre of the bumper at the back.
Remove the covers adjacent to the rear lights and undo the screws that are revealed.

Gently pull the front of the bumper away from the wheelarch, away from the side of the car, to release the bumper.
Then, with assistance, pull the whole bumper rearwards.
Don't forget to undo the PDC wires when you get a bit of clearance.

It looks easier to do on the E61 than the E60 because you don't have to remove the inner side panels - although you'll be removing them for doing the wiring anyway.

Mike
Thanks! It worked great and it was really easy!

J?han
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Great Job.

Towbar on? - get something hooked up onto it, get out into the Holiday traffic and start terrorising innocent motorists!!

Mike
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Members

Mike,

Can you please elaborate on this bit:

"Remove the covers adjacent to the rear lights and undo the screws that are revealed."

On the drivers side for example, do you mean the cover that holds the first aid kit, because all this reveals is a fuse box?

Any further clarification you could give would be mnuch appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Not meaning to hijack, but what model trailer hitch did you get ? I would love to see a photo step by step of how you installed the unit and how it looks when finished.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by carsonbleu
Mike,

Can you please elaborate on this bit:

"Remove the covers adjacent to the rear lights and undo the screws that are revealed."

On the drivers side for example, do you mean the cover that holds the first aid kit, because all this reveals is a fuse box?

Any further clarification you could give would be mnuch appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

You need to remove the large trimpieces either side of the boot. Take up the boot carpet, then undo the quarter turn plastic screws that hold the trim pieces in and remove them. As you said, the drivers side has the mesh oddment holder (on the pre-LCi anyway - my first aid kit is in the boot lid). The large Torx screws are under the rear light and to the side. Four in total. They should be bright silver so you can't miss them. The fuse box is forward of their location.

Mike
Old 03-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nell
Not meaning to hijack, but what model trailer hitch did you get ? I would love to see a photo step by step of how you installed the unit and how it looks when finished.

Thanks.

I bought a Witter towbar. Visible is the boss that the detachable hitch fits into, and the electric sockets.
There are some on the market that are completely invisible without the hitch fitted. BMW use the Westfalia hitch, but you will need a BMW infill plate (to be sprayed) to render it invisble, but of course, you can still see the plate.
Westfalia, Bosal and Brink are the best engineered, but you pay for that. Witter are pretty good. Go to each manufacturers website for detailed instructions. It is a really simple job. Bumper off. Remove the metalwork behind the bumper. Replace it with the towbar. Cut the black plastic trim that is under the bumper. Replace the bumper. Then do the wiring.

Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Members

Thanks Mike

Actually, the job was even simpler than that! I just needed to remove 2 bolts (1 each side). I've attached a picture (in a Word document) to show where they are located.

Cheers, Paul.

E61 bumper bolt locations.doc
Old 03-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by carsonbleu
Thanks Mike

Actually, the job was even simpler than that! I just needed to remove 2 bolts (1 each side). I've attached a picture (in a Word document) to show where they are located.

Cheers, Paul.

Attachment 102375
Thats great Paul,

Quite different to the pre-LCi E60 then. Good to know.

Cheers
Mike

Quick Reply: Remove rear bumper E61