DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

I found the following link very useful in helping to program the Homelink buttons for the garage door. My garage door openers are made by Chamberlain and these keyfobs only pulse a signal for 2 seconds (rolling code) which makes programming the Homelink buttons a bit of a pain in the butt. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, I had to depress the "learn" button and then run quickly back to the car to program the Homelink button successfully. Here is the how-to link.

More details can be found here:

http://www.homelink.com/program_instruct.php
Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Here is a how-to on removing and replacing the mirror. I should have read this more carefully first!
Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass-rvm19.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

And here is the info I found on calibrating the mirror and setting up the correct zone:

IMPORTANT!!! THERE ARE 2 STEPS LEFT: (Use BMW 01-29-028-299 Instructions)

Calibrating the compass

Setting the proper geographic zone for your compass

Calibrating the Compass

If there is a "C" on the mirror's display, then you can begin calibrating the compass. If there is a direction, you need to get into calibration mode. On the bottom side of the mirror, press the button in with a pen or paper clip for 6-7 seconds. "C" will then appear on the display.
Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass-cal1.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Contributors

And setting the correct zone:

Hold the button for 3-4 seconds on the bottom of the compass. A number will appear in the display. The default is "8." If you live in Chicago or Tampa Bay, you're all set... Otherwise, you'll need to make some changes. Press the button once, and the number jumps by 1...
Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass-cal2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Yup great mod! Which kind you got? The compass w/ the letters made of like from a dot matrix or the older kind?
BlaSTiWi,
I'm not entirely sure which version I got and now that the car is in the body shop, I won't be able to tell until next week. If memory serves me correct I think I got the older "LCD" style. To be honest I did not even realize that a Dot Matrix version existed. If I had known I would have opted for that one for sure. I'll check this out once I get the car back.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Contributors

Thanks also go out to jgulli and BlaSTiWi who have both provided very useful information in another post based on this topic. Ironically BlaSTiWi specifically warned me to be careful when removing the mirror as another member had fallen to the same faith I did. I wish I had read your warning over 10 times before I started. It just never seemed like I was using undue force in removing the clambshell. Oh well, what's done is done. I did have two previous chips on the windshield and although they have been there for more than a year now, it was another reason for the swap. This is surely what my insurance company will be taking care of in any event.

More to follow.....
Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Well its been a week and I now have my car back from the body shop sans new windshield, Hamann splitter, full detail......and new rear view mirror. Insurance picked up the tab for the glass so all's well that ends well.

If anyone is interested in doing this mod, again be very careful when it comes to removing the mirror.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass-rvm21.jpg   Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass-rvm20.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Looks good!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Thanks BlaSTiWi,
Based on what you can tell from the pics, did I end up with the newer "Dot Matrix" mirror or older style?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Georgieb,

Look like you got the LCD style, the darken opening around the compass in my mirror is almost invisible it makes the dot matrix letters kinda like a see thru.

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Thanks BlaSTiWi,
Based on what you can tell from the pics, did I end up with the newer "Dot Matrix" mirror or older style?

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror upgrade with Homelink and Compass