DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear window anti-trap reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Cool. I keep forgetting to check if I have that light -- does anyone else have it?
Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, i'm from europe... the instructions helped me.. I have claimed this issue for a almoust a year...now it works fine

Thanks again
Old 07-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Members

I've got the same problem : rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window.

I tried to do a reset, but it doesn't work. Maybe my hall sensor is out of order ?

Has anyone a solution for me, s.th. else to try ??

Txk

Oliverh
Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Members

? ?

Answer pls ?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you followed the instructions on reinitializing the windows and it still is giving you trouble, then I'd say you should have the dealer check it out.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='283411' date='May 17 2006, 04:14 AM
das, there is a small difference in procedure between the front and the rears. The rears need to be "taught" both the upper and lower stops where the fronts only need to learn the upper stop.

If you haven't already done so, take a look (or download a copy) of the .pdf I posted in the technical gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...si&img=3076

Take a look at the bookmark called "Indirect anti-trapping mechanism" under the "System functions" section. It explains what the car is doing as the window is moving up or down. If you keep having a problem, you might have a faulty window motor or a faulty "hall sensor" (whatever the hell that is...)

Also, for good measure, here's the instructions on reinitializing the windows:
Attachment 19014

Good luck!
Hi,

I got an E60 MY2005 and my dealer has just reinitialized the left rear power window using the instructions given by Rudy.

One interesting detail : first , he tried with the ignition key in the ON position but failed than he tried with the engine running and succeed.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Tim
Members

Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

1. Start the car. Key in position "on" did not work for me.
2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
5. Wait until the anti-trap message on the display disappears.

The symptoms I had were:
a. One-touch open/close did not work on the problem window.
b. The window only opened/closed 4 inches at a time even if you held the button down/up.
c. Anti-trap message appears on the console every time I started the car.

Thanks to Rudy for the initial instruction set!

Tim
Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d/full leather/prof. nav/prof. audio/logic 7/bluetooth/

Tim, you wrote:

Originally Posted by Tim' post='581291' date='May 15 2008, 07:18 PM
Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

1. Start the car. Key in position "on" did not work for me.
2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
5. Wait until the anti-trap message on the display disappears.
Tim
Do you mean that step 3 must be done from the driver's seat?
should I hear a beep after holding the button for 20 seconds?

on step 5: how long should I have to wait? aprox. 20 sec?

To OliverB: did you got the problem solved yet??

thanks for your feedback
Old 07-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avaneyck' post='610375' date='Jun 26 2008, 02:56 AM
Tim, you wrote:

Do you mean that step 3 must be done from the driver's seat?
should I hear a beep after holding the button for 20 seconds?

on step 5: how long should I have to wait? aprox. 20 sec?

To OliverB: did you got the problem solved yet??

thanks for your feedback
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
Jack Wei (02-25-2020)
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:29 PM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
2) I released the switch
3) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
4) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
5) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
6) After #5 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
Welcome to the forums Doug.

Just a guess but it looks to me like you were having this window problem and Google brought you here -- correct?

Quick Reply: Rear window anti-trap reset