DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear window anti-trap reset

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 116i ES Edition

Hello I have the same problem but when I push the button, the window doesn't move at all
Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 528i
Default Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Originally Posted by Doug0403
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
I have tried for the past several months to fix this exact problem on my own, with no success.
This worked the first time I tried it!
Any reason why everyone has the issue with the left rear window? Or at least it seems that way.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Default Worked for me!~

Originally Posted by Tim
Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

1. Start the car. Key in position "on" did not work for me.
2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
5. Wait until the anti-trap message on the display disappears.

The symptoms I had were:
a. One-touch open/close did not work on the problem window.
b. The window only opened/closed 4 inches at a time even if you held the button down/up.
c. Anti-trap message appears on the console every time I started the car.

Thanks to Rudy for the initial instruction set!

Tim

Just wanted to thank Tim from this reply. I got mine working.

From the door the issue is occurring,

1: Roll window all the way down with non auto switch
2: Hold down switch to auto- roll-down for 20sec (i did 25sec in my head)
3: Immediately auto-roll-up switch for another 20-25 sec

The windows should roll without pause then go all the way down (while you are still holding on auto-up) then go back up again.

Hope this help.

I have a 2006 525i I bought used for a really good deal so I am also learning about BMW tricks.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-10-2017, 08:47 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Followed the procedure for the driver window and it worked first time. No signs or indications on dash or anywhere else, however. Car is 2005 545 6MT.

TKS for the help.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM
New Members

The 17 seconds trick worked! I had tried everything else but did not succeed until I tried the 17 seconds trick. Thank you very much for the forum members who shared this knowledge!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 528i

Originally Posted by Doug0403
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
It works for 2010 BMW 528i.
Thank you, Dough!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535XI Wagon

Kutenda did you ever figure this out?

Rudy and others - thanks for the guidance. Initially my window would depress only 4" or so per press. Then I followed the instructions and actually got it to seemingly reset, with a beep etc. Got to the step where the window rolled up then suddenly the window stopped functioning at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? The window (Rear drivers side) doesn't function in any way now.

Yikes.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 520d E61
Default Finally did it

Originally Posted by Tim
Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

1. Start the car. Key in position "on" did not work for me.
2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
5. Wait until the anti-trap message on the display disappears.

The symptoms I had were:
a. One-touch open/close did not work on the problem window.
b. The window only opened/closed 4 inches at a time even if you held the button down/up.
c. Anti-trap message appears on the console every time I started the car.

Thanks to Rudy for the initial instruction set!

Tim
OMG finally reset rear window on BMW E61 (2006 pre LCI) rear door window using this method. It was driving me nuts for the last few months. Engine needed to be running.Thank you.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

my rear driver's side window must have been dirty or something because the other day while trying to roll Window down it stopped around halfway through the motor kept going. shortly after that the glass slide down into the door. When I opened door to get to window it didn't seem to be broken anywhere, motor sounded fine & from what I could tell the pulleys seemed fine however I wasn't able to fix it because I had no clue as to how the line runs thru the pulleys & it was dark outside so rather than risk breaking anything I braced window up & began searching the net for solutions. I think the motor needs to be re-wound so the line will have tension on it then run line the correct way before finally attaching to the window..
Old 07-15-2019, 03:41 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 525i

Awesome. Keeping my 2004 525i as good as new. (145,000 miles) Love the car. This worked .. the KEY is, as indicated, time the 17 seconds with your phone stopwatch!

1) I had the car started
3) I released the switch
The following users liked this post:
Jack Wei (02-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Rear window anti-trap reset