DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Much thanks to Don Juan and many others in this thread, I installed my V1 on my 2008 535XIT.

I made a mistake initially by tapping the yellow with a tiny stripe of green wire. (It is the one with the red X). I didn't get any voltage from this wire. This was routed to the sunroof open/close switch.

The correct one is the green wire with tiny stripe of yellow in it. It's in a different bundle that does not hook into the sunroof panel at all.

photo sharing

I used a an RJ11 old phone cord I found in the trash and a 7.5 AMP inline fuse from an old Alpine headunit on the +12V. The ground screw is a 10mm metric head.

free image hosting

free image hosting
Done.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troybal
Below is a picture of where I had my V1 Power hooked up too.
It is the Red wire with Yellow stripe, looks like it actually connects to the 2nd slot (counting from left to right). This is NOT on the Sunroof harness but actually on the light Harness.

I removed my light fixture just above my rear view mirror to show you this picture.

Attachment 52860

I tested it when I went home and it shows Zero Voltage when car is off, but 12+ Voltage when car is on.
Test it yourself and let us know if it helps! I did not see a green wire in the harness for the sunroof on my 2008 BMW 528i.

Regards,
TR.
Bumping this thread back to life.

After having hardwired a V1 to my E46M and E53 years ago, I had difficulties hardwiring an LCI M5. I used the simple ground to the sunroof motor - it works just fine. But after trying to tap the Green/Yellow and getting no reaction from the V1 I came here for further investigation.

Troybal's method did give me continuous power... key word continuous. The V1 is on even when the car is off. I prefer the V1 to turn off when the ignition is off... so I thought I would fuss with the Green/Yellow wire once more. Turns out that EVERYONE on this forum is spot on. The blue tap is too large for the smaller guage of the Green/Yellow wire. I took the suggestion from various posters on this thread by taking out the tap and tightening it before crimping it on the Green/Yellow... and viola. Connection is now solid and the V1 turns off when ignition is off.

Thanks all!!