DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Questions for Oil Change for 2004 525i

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

I am thinking DIY oil change on my 2004 525i.

1. Is the black cap at the bottom of the attached picture the oil filter cap, and the oil filter is located inside? I seem to see 545i has oil filter at the bottom of the car next to the drain plug. So it is a bit surprising if 525i's filter is on the upper side under the hood.Questions for Oil Change for 2004 525i-under_hood.jpg

2. What tool do you use to tigten the oil filter cap to the EXACT torque after installing new filter? I have a wrenth I can use to unscrew the cap, but the torque wrentch will require a socket that fits this oil filter cap, and I have not been able to find a socket this large (plus I really prefer using a tool that grabs not the hex head of the cap, but instead the body of the cap).

3. Isn't the red hook I pointed in the picture the oil dip stick? I thought E60 no longer offers oil dip stick.

4. Where do you buy oil filters? Any online sources you can recommend?

5. What is the torque for drain plug?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Under_Hood.jpg
Views:	20653
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	55816
Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

This is the oil filter housing I believe you use a 36MM socket to loosen it. Oil filter can be bought at strauss, pepboys or autozone for like $10 or you get get an OEM from BMW which is only a few dollars more, maybe $13-$15. not sure how much torch is needed to tighted the filter housing, I did it by hand till it felt tight and secure.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i
Model Year: 525i 2004
Engine: M54

I have same type 2004 525i, i have found a lot information in this forum. Till now i don't know where is the oil drain plug. Is the drain plug in the front part or rear part? any information appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

the drain plug is underneath the car in the middle ish there is a special opening made for the oil drain. Its a 17mm wrench for the drain plug. For the oil filter housing its 32mm and only use Oem or Mann filters I have had non Mann ones crumble on me. ECS tuning has great deals on both filters and the tool needed. The torque is snug for both plug and oil filter housing, Also the housing is plastic so dont over tighten. ALWAYS change drain plug crush washer and Filter housing O-ring these items are supplied in each filter
Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Contributors

It's easy to make mistakes on your first DIY oil service on a BMW ... one of mine (years and years ago) was not removing the o-ring on the filter housing and putting the new one over it. What a leaky mess that was! Another, decades ago, was mistaking the transmission drain plug for the oil drain plug - yes, BMWs had trans drain plugs a long time ago

Not a catastrophe - BUT embarrassing when I couldn't shift into gear and had oil pour out of the oil filler cap

So, the good news is there are a few good DIY posts - search them out, If the least bit unsure maybe invite an experienced BMW DIY'er to take you through the steps in person. Or, try to work with an INDY shop that will let you watch while they do it.

GOOD LUCK!

Doing these basic services can save you money and actually be "therapeutic'!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Drain plug torque, 18 ft-lb, same for oil filter cover. I don't use a torque wrench. I use a regular short handle socket wrench.

Wipe off the drain plug and the plug area on the pan. Make sure the copper crush washer is on the plug and start tightening it by hand or wrench. When the thread stops, just use the wrench to give it one gentle push. The soft copper washer should be a little crushed by then and that's all it takes. A completely crushed copper washer is useless.

Same with the filter cover. Use a 36 mm socket. Let the rubber gasket for the filter cover do it's sealing job - do not crush it. Stop when the thread stops and give it a final gentle push with the wrench.

Look for oil filters made by Mann. They are OEM for BMW.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy
the drain plug is underneath the car in the middle ish there is a special opening made for the oil drain. Its a 17mm wrench for the drain plug. For the oil filter housing its 32mm and only use Oem or Mann filters I have had non Mann ones crumble on me. ECS tuning has great deals on both filters and the tool needed. The torque is snug for both plug and oil filter housing, Also the housing is plastic so dont over tighten. ALWAYS change drain plug crush washer and Filter housing O-ring these items are supplied in each filter
Yes, there is a hex screw shape, exactly 36MM. I measured it.

Originally Posted by vkhong
Drain plug torque, 18 ft-lb, same for oil filter cover. I don't use a torque wrench. I use a regular short handle socket wrench.

Wipe off the drain plug and the plug area on the pan. Make sure the copper crush washer is on the plug and start tightening it by hand or wrench. When the thread stops, just use the wrench to give it one gentle push. The soft copper washer should be a little crushed by then and that's all it takes. A completely crushed copper washer is useless.

Same with the filter cover. Use a 36 mm socket. Let the rubber gasket for the filter cover do it's sealing job - do not crush it. Stop when the thread stops and give it a final gentle push with the wrench.

Look for oil filters made by Mann. They are OEM for BMW.
With the hex screw shape cap, to unscrew the oil filter housing, only a normal socket wrench needed. no special, bowl-shaped wrench needed. Am I right?

Last edited by daweilee; 11-18-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by daweilee
With the hex screw shape cap, to unscrew the oil filter housing, only a normal socket wrench needed. no special, bowl-shaped wrench needed. Am I right?
Yes. Use socket for hex plug on filter cover.

If filter cover does not have hex plug, use the filter cover cap / bowl.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Members

A mistake has been made, a 32MM socket wrench won't fit the oil filter housing, measured it again ,exactly it's 36mm. vkhong is right. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

I forgot what I ordered its the top one he pictured the schwaben... my bad

Quick Reply: Questions for Oil Change for 2004 525i