DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Pre-LCI to LCI Lights - What to look out for during the install

Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

nice write-up!

is the 2008 pdf manual all correct?
i just bought a wiring kit from bmw. do i need to check the wires for the rear harness? how do i know if they are right?
would i be better off swapping my existing adaptive modules and ballast over to the new lights, or use new? i have both.
i'll definetly need help on programming, since i'm new to ncsexpert.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

turboawd,
Thank you for your comments. To answer your questions:

is the 2008 pdf manual all correct? - To the best of my knowledge, yes it is
i just bought a wiring kit from bmw. do i need to check the wires for the rear harness? how do i know if they are right?- Two ways, follow the wiring schematic I posted in this thread and also, plug the harness into your car harness and ensure the wire conductors match up by referencing the colour code for each
would i be better off swapping my existing adaptive modules and ballast over to the new lights, or use new? i have both.No harm in using the existing ballasts if they are fully functional. Keep the new ones as spare or re-sell on eBay. Adaptive controls may need re-coding. Some have suggested that OEM new controllers are easier to code therefore these may be better suited to your install
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Georgieb
turboawd,
Thank you for your comments. To answer your questions:

is the 2008 pdf manual all correct? - To the best of my knowledge, yes it is
i just bought a wiring kit from bmw. do i need to check the wires for the rear harness? how do i know if they are right?- Two ways, follow the wiring schematic I posted in this thread and also, plug the harness into your car harness and ensure the wire conductors match up by referencing the colour code for each
would i be better off swapping my existing adaptive modules and ballast over to the new lights, or use new? i have both.No harm in using the existing ballasts if they are fully functional. Keep the new ones as spare or re-sell on eBay. Adaptive controls may need re-coding. Some have suggested that OEM new controllers are easier to code therefore these may be better suited to your install
well, the wires were wrong on my kit too. was fairly easy to change......what matters is knowing about it, and not left wondering why the lights are wacko.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

well, the wires were wrong on my kit too. was fairly easy to change......what matters is knowing about it, and not left wondering why the lights are wacko.
Great to hear that the information has been helpful thus far. I'm inclined to think that BMW may have manufactured this rear tail-light harness with certain production builds in mind that included different wiring configurations for the harness in the car, and that our cars were not intended for this upgrade kit. Who knows, but they should have at least included the wiring configuration possibilities within the associated kit documentation.

Good luck with the remainder of your install.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Great to hear that the information has been helpful thus far. I'm inclined to think that BMW may have manufactured this rear tail-light harness with certain production builds in mind that included different wiring configurations for the harness in the car, and that our cars were not intended for this upgrade kit. Who knows, but they should have at least included the wiring configuration possibilities within the associated kit documentation.

Good luck with the remainder of your install.
Fantastic write up! Great pics and everything is very well explained. I'm about to do this job next week but I have a few questions.

I am going from 07 550 (LM2) PRE LCI AHL Bi Xenon to LCI NON AHL Bi Xenon to save some money. Is everything pretty much the same except AHL controller modules? Do the LCI NON AHL's have controller modules to them? And is the coding different for the non ahl?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

I was thinking of doing this but it seems like too much work and money for just a slight change in looks.
I don't think it's worth it, my opinion.