DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:09 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 08

In the drain point at cooler connection, is the fluid coming from cooler side or from reservoir side?
Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

When you separate that connection you'll drain the cooler and the reservoir

So have a decent sized container at hand ready to collect that fluid.

Let it drain and drip for about 30 minutes

Also when done let the system run for a few minutes with the reservoir cap off so the system can expel any trapped air then finish topping off the reservoir fluid level.

Last edited by gcalo; 10-07-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:27 AM
New Members

Thanks for details.
The reason why I'm asking is that if this is a return line (fluid returning to reservoir) ??
as per ZF instructions it can be done faster with engine running.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:46 PM
New Members

Forget what ZF says.

Think dangerous moving objects as well as engine heat etc!

Just practical common sense
Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 E61

Did this over the weekend on an '08 E61. There is a loop of two hoses under the subframe with a hard line connection between the two. I disconnected the lines from their mounting bracket (10mm nut) and unscrewed the fitting and allowed it to drain. Then, I connected air to the rack side, covered the reservoir with my hand and applied
Old 10-11-2016, 07:59 AM
New Members

Since you put air in to drain, I would let the engine run a bit with the F/E raised and reservoir cover off while moving steering wheel L to R a few times to ensure you let all the air out of the system.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:41 AM
New Members

Here is how I plan to do it:
1.Drain the fluid from reservoir
2.Remove the hose from reservoir bottom (not from cooler connection)
3.Plug the reservoir bottom open hole
4.Put the open hose end in empty container to collect old fluid
5.Fill up the reservoir with fresh fluid
6.With engine running turn the steering wheel slowly from one side to the other, as old fluid drains into the container, fresh fluid level drops in the reservoir, add more fresh fluid, repeat steering wheel turns until fresh fluid comes out of the drain hose end
7.Shut down the engine
8.Mount back the hose end to the reservoir
9.Add fresh fluid to the required level
10.Flush completed

It is not clear how Dynamic Drive sway bar pumps operate, does fluid circulate back to the reservoir during normal cat operation?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by gcalo
Since you put air in to drain, I would let the engine run a bit with the F/E raised and reservoir cover off while moving steering wheel L to R a few times to ensure you let all the air out of the system.
I turned lock to lock several times by hand. (just pushing and pulling on the tire). This dropped the fluid level in the reservoir by half. I refilled the reservoir, started the car and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times. No additional fluid was needed.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM
New Members

I looked at the lines under the reservoir. I decided not to dsturb factory clamps that weren't leaking. I looked at the quick disconnect line for the cooler. I didn't see any way to reach it. Then I found the compression fitting under the car. This was very easy to get too. 10 mm on the bracket, 21 mm open end on the nut and 17 mm on the fitting. Came right apart and the reservoir drained in my bucket. Absolutely no mess and no need to pour fluid into the reservoir with the motor running.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Flush-e6x-power-steering.jpg  
Old 06-01-2019, 05:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 528i

Originally Posted by wding2000
I did check, but only see brake reservoir. I double checked on realoem.com: it seems to me that hydraulic system (and reservoir) is for dynamic drive only, which I do not have. So I am leaning towards electrical steering now - one less item to maintain , which also means the extra liter of Pentosin CHF202 when I ordered for A4, which I thought I could use for 535, will not be put to use for another 40K or 50K miles.
wish I had seen your post before spending 2 plus hours trying to locate the power steering reservoir. I nearly took the entire engine apart, and still no power steering reservoir was found. Also have a liter of Pentosin that will never be used. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Flush