DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:16 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Want to clarify a misconception brought up by Margal.

I was thrown off by his question and just now realized to what he was referring.

There is NO specific drain for the P/S flush.

One has to remove the line at the P/S cooler undeneath at the radiator on the passenger side.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:46 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Margal
There in no drain next the radiator on my car. I think the best way is to remove the cover under the passenger wheel well and disconnect the main line by the dynamic drive unit. Drains the fluids from both sides from reservoir and rear wheel.
The earlier radiator models of the E60s had that over-engineered drain in the bottom (mine broke and f$$%d my radiator in trying to remove the bits and pieces), but newer Rads don't have a drain anymore. I just replaced my radiator on my 2004 545i and when I received the replacement I first thought they sent me the wrong part but not so.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 PM
New Members

The issue here dealt with draining the P/S system.

There is no drain for that.

The hose has to be removed at the cooler for proper drain.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 BMW 535i

Originally Posted by Rizbel
That explains why there are four different types of power steering pump (regular PS, PS with active steering, PS with dynamic drive, and PS with dynamic drive and active steering).
Good thing to know since I have active roll and active steering. Thanks for the info .
Realize this is an old thread, but hope someone can help answer:
after finish flushing PS fluid for wife A4 - happy to see old brownish fluid replaced by transparent green, and reading this thread, I decided to check out my 535 F10. Surprisingly, cannot find PS fluid reservoir . I check manual and know I have Servotronic steering, which I thought is hydraulic. I do not have active steering. Is it possible I have electrical steering instead? or F10 reservoir is only accessible from under the car?
Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM
New Members

I would highly doubt that a P/S reservoir would be below the engine. However I don't know the F10 to state for sure.

My guess it is below one of the removable plastic panels in engine compartment as the brake reservoir is on the e60 models.

Check your manual or get a service manual to verify.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 BMW 535i

I did check, but only see brake reservoir. I double checked on realoem.com: it seems to me that hydraulic system (and reservoir) is for dynamic drive only, which I do not have. So I am leaning towards electrical steering now - one less item to maintain , which also means the extra liter of Pentosin CHF202 when I ordered for A4, which I thought I could use for 535, will not be put to use for another 40K or 50K miles.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Im sorry to bump the thread but i got one question that i really need an answer. I did replace the fluid using suck out pump method from the reservoir. I did replace almost 1 and a half can ( 1l of CHF 11 ). Did exactly what the instruction stated but the fluid turnd out to be same color ( a bit dark ) as earlier. My question is should i replace the whole reservoir or is there something else that went wrong ?
Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Members

Default Fluid extraction video

I also found this video helpful.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:12 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 08
Default re

Originally Posted by gcalo
So today I drained and flushed my power steering (2006 530i e60 N52 w/Dynamic Drive).

Strangely I did not have a radiator drain plug near the line for the P/S cooler!

I used a hand pump and completely sucked out the P/S reservoir. That fluid was dirty, dark, and it stank!

I then went under, cleaned the connector area for the cooler line, and realized that the push connection is a tough one!

I twisted it slightly left and right a bit and then took a large pair of pliars, moved to the large jaw position, and then put the pliars over the pipe behind the movable plastic collar on the fitting, and while pushing on the hose itself slightly towards the front I pushed with the pliars towards the connector. Bingo. It moved off beautifully.

I let it drain for about 30 mins but was not a ton since I had first drained the reservoir.

I put the key in and turned the S/W L & R about 6-8 times, and the Dynamic Drive unit pushed out a good bit more.

Replaced the reservoir and used new SS clamps.

I then cleaned the dripping connection on the cooler and reinstalled it, put a liter of Pentosin CH11S into the reservoir as my bride turned the wheel L & R. Did NOT have the engine running at this point.

Did this for a while and kept adding 11S.

When reservoir was nearly full, put cap on. had my bride start the vehicle and continue to turn L & R.

No warning lights probably due to turning the wheel so much w/o engine running.

Took it off jack stands, let in run a while, and topped it off .

It is working great.

Many thanks to the wizards who contributed here.

This is as important a flush as it is for the transmission.
"I put the key in and turned the S/W L & R about 6-8 times, and the Dynamic Drive unit pushed out a good bit more."
Did you get any warning message during this drain, was the engine off or running?

It is not clear how does the fluid flush from front/rear Dynamic Drive lines (pumps)?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:30 AM
New Members

Engine off always during this process

I would not worry about fluid in the rest of the system although probably a good concern.

If you drain the system at the cooler connection and let it drain for a while you should have cleared the majority of the system.

You could always let the new oil run for a few weeks and drain again if you are that concerned, but I do not think that is necessary especially with the cost of the Pentosin oil!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Flush