DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

OEM Hi-Fi Amplifier retrofit after CIC retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006
Default OEM Hi-Fi Amplifier retrofit after CIC retrofit

Finally installed the OEM Hi-Fi amp in the car today. Part number 65129166176.

You will also need the plug for the new amp.

Covering cap - 61138364862
Socket housing, black - 61138364882
Socket housing, grey - 61138364884

You need a bunch of contacts.
61136913612 - for the power and subwoofer wires
61138377162 - for all other wires

Don't bother buying the new amp bracket. The old Hi-Fi bracket works fine, you just use the centre mounting slots of the amp.

BMW changed the way the Hi-Fi system worked when they introduced the CIC. The Hi-Fi amp now powers all the speakers.

I built a small conversion cable to allow me to use all the pins on the old amp plug into the new amp.

To minimise new cable runs, I took some short cuts!
1. I used the old subwoofer inputs as the rear inputs.
2. I went from the amp directly to the rear speakers via the boot - easy!
3. I then used the old rear speaker wires as the front inputs, and then brought those back to the amp.
4. Then all that was left was to run 4 wires from the amp to the front speakers. Ofcourse I didn't go to the front speaker directly, I just went to the back of the CIC and connected them up there.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:57 AM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i 2009

Hi.
I have just upgraded from ccc to cic in my e60 550i lci. I have 676 hifi sound system with a ccc amp in the trunk. After the retrofit, I had a problem with the sound just like others. I did the subwoofer fix by changing the locations of some wires but the sound is still not that good. I read that an oem hifi cic amp would solve the problem. So, I bought one with the connector but the problem is that I don’t know how to install it because my current amp connector is different from the one I bought. I wonder if you could help me with that. Attached is a picture of the amp I bought from an e60 with a factory cic sound system.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:08 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI, CIC/Combox/TPMS Retrofit (CCC M-ASK Orig)
Engine: N52

I made a PDF that outlines the changes between the E60 CCC Quad-Lock and Sub Amp Connectors to the E60 CIC Quad-Lock and HK Hi-Fi Amp Connectors.

The Gist of this retrofit (installing the newer amp noted by the original poster), is:
  • Understanding that the CCC Quadlock has a single set of low-level line outputs to the amp that then powers the subs.
    • The 8-pins that have speaker level outputs are powered by the CCC/CCC M-ASK.
  • However, the CIC QuadLock has only full-range line-level inputs on the 8-pins that each need to go to the HK Hi-Fi Amp.
    • The amp filters ranges and outputs to the 6 speaker channels (FL, FR, RL, RR, SWL, SWR).

Hence:
  1. The original poster took advantage of the sub level inputs from the CCC to the Sub Amp, and used them as the rear channel inputs to the amp.
  2. He could have used the Rear Channel speaker outputs to create the front channel inputs to the amp - but these guage wires are better used for the HK Hi-Fi amp outputs to connect to the front speakers (they need to be spliced to the front speaker outputs behind the quadlock).
  3. From this point one would need to run the line level inputs for the front channel(s), 4-wires, from the CIC quadlock to the HK Hi-Fi Amp.
  4. Finish up by running speaker outputs from the amp directly to the rear speakers. The sub woofer outputs from the amp already exist - just reuse them.

Also, If you simply grab yourself a 2007+ (CIC) HK HI-Fi amp that comes with the pigtail -> you'll undoubtably have all the connectors you need, and can simply splice sections of the ends of the wires. Make sure you cut off the rear speaker connectors to splice them into new runs directly from the amp.

It's a mess of a retrofit if you don't have an understanding of what is there - and so I took quite a bit of time to understand what each system provided and then discerned how to best execute the retrofit.

The Quad-Lock Connector Pin Out:

The Amp Connector Pinouts:

I'll eventually do my own write up, if I'm not too lazy when the time comes (it's cold right now). So, until then - I've made some nifty diagrams to outline the E60 system's pin-outs; which are ridiculously hard to find - and when you do they are so spread thin and in such various forms. I'll provide both PNGs of each page, and both pages in PDF form.

Enjoy!
Attached Files

Last edited by kirvedx; 11-24-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-20-2022, 11:29 AM
Members

@kirvedx
Great effort, respect for that.
Just a slight correction on your pinout plan for the 42 connector.
The signal input and the signal outputs regarding front and rear speaker should be reversed.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by miloka
@kirvedx
Great effort, respect for that.
Just a slight correction on your pinout plan for the 42 connector.
The signal input and the signal outputs regarding front and rear speaker should be reversed.
Thank you for saying something - I did notice that myself [at the time] too; I was quite exasperated at the time because I trusted my own investigation enough to go as far as zipping everything back together. I have a corrected version. but had never gotten around to updating it - I'll try to get that done before I forget again.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by kirvedx
Thank you for saying something - I did notice that myself [at the time] too; I was quite exasperated at the time because I trusted my own investigation enough to go as far as zipping everything back together. I have a corrected version. but had never gotten around to updating it - I'll try to get that done before I forget again.
It would be fantastic if you update the insteuction to correct version. Im going to upgrade audio in my e61 from 2009 to hifi. I have CIC, and i've already bought every neccesery pieces SO nowbi need only free time and your help (updating insteuctions). By the way, BIG THANK YOU.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Tomurka
It would be fantastic if you update the insteuction to correct version. Im going to upgrade audio in my e61 from 2009 to hifi. I have CIC, and i've already bought every neccesery pieces SO nowbi need only free time and your help (updating instructions). By the way, BIG THANK YOU.
Thank you,

The wiring is mostly correct, just with regards to right and left, on front and rear - they are reversed. Not sure how I managed that mistake in the document; but after hooking up I ended up having to swap the wires. I found my document and have my 5-series charging. I just wanted to confirm exactly what I had wrong because from what I remember it was left/right (not front and rear) that I had wrong, but it's possible it was a combination. I'll also take a couple pictures of some parts of the install (specifically: 1. How I reused the rear shelf speaker's outputs from the old CCC Mask to both power the rear shelf speakers, and 2. The front speakers, and 3. Where I ran the 4 new lines to the front to provide the line-levels to the amp). Finally, I'll add a pic of the connector into the newer amp (which came with it, cut) and show how I reused it.

The sound difference was night and day from the old system; a huge improvement! You couldn't even call the state you're in before it "functional", let alone the temporary fix of sharing the rear-shelf's outputs from the CIC as "bearable".

I'll get that up sometime today or early tomorrow morning. It's a simple LibreOffice Draw document - but I just want to confirm everything as I said.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:42 AM
Members

I will be retrofitting on sunday from pre lci hifi system to lci hifi system.
I will report back here once finished.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:49 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61

I have another situation. My current system is the lowest one-basic (without tweeters). So i have to build all necessery wiring and i dont have any old wires which i can use- despite from 6 speakers which are connect to the front of car (radio) however its not much helpful. BTW I've created this account only for this one issue, and im so glad and suprised there are so many replies. And sorry for my English, its not my native language.

Last edited by Tomurka; 09-23-2022 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Hi-Fi Amplifier retrofit after CIC retrofit