DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

More Oil Leaks! 545i 545i 545i 545i 545i

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i w/sport
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Thank you Healtservices and everyone else who posted tips! I just replace the dreaded O-ring and while it wasn't fun, it wasn't that bad. I think the anticipation was worse than actually performing the work. If you are thinking of doing this, be sure you have a good selection of Torx sockets and a E12 Torx socket,and allen sockets. It is funny how many different types of fasteners are used. One example is the back power steering pump bracket. One is a Torx and one is an allen....

I found that removing the airbox, wheel well plastic and lots of other parts makes it a little easier. I also removed the radiator because I couldn't believe how much debris was caught between the radiator and the smaller one in front of it. (Not sure what it cools).

Also, lift the engine to get to the lower rear engine mount bolt. You can get 3 of the 4 bolts from the front pretty easily. The rear upper bolt is easy to get to from the wheel well.

I used Permatex No. 2 Form a Gasket on the new O-ring because it worked great on my motorcycle cases and I really don't want to do this again in a year. They don't call Permatex "Gorilla snot" for nothing! It is good stuff.

Just take your time and when you finish you will feel like you can do anything! LOL
Old 06-16-2016, 05:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw
Question Questions...

What is the reasoning behind adjusting the three bushings on the alternator bracket inwards (I assume in, so they are up against the bracket surface)?
After starting a few of the bolts that hold down the alternator bracket - and semi-snugging them down, do you want to adjust the bushings back out so they come in contact with the block?
And finally, is there any particular sequence when tightening down the alternator bracket bolts (the ones that go into the block and snug down the new o-ring gasket)?

Originally Posted by healthservices
here are a couple hints and tricks to be aware of...

turn the bushing all the way into the alternator bracket before re-installing

Attachment 129577

Last edited by ronreece; 06-16-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 08
Default Power steering bolt

Originally Posted by healthservices
At this point I decided to again spray simple green on everything and hose down with a water hose.

Oh don't forget this bolt where the socket is inserted...

Attachment 129531

[attachment=164931:clean.jpg]

This is where it starts to get hard...

you have to find a way to remove the rear power steering bolt or it's bracket from the alternator bracket...

You'll probably have have no idea what this is, unless you are seeing it first hand. It is the rear attachment bolt on the power steering pump, with a socket and a combination of extension to fit.

Sorry the black and blue electrical plug was in the way.

Attachment 129529

Attachment 129530
Is this bolt visible from under when all parts assembled?
Old 05-12-2023, 10:15 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 10 528i
Default Twice as nice

I realize this is a very old thread, but it should be a sticky. It's awesome. Hugely helpful. First time on our 215kmi 550i I did this was many years ago.
I hate to admit it, but I mistakenly did it again this year due to poor diagnosis. When it started leaking like the Exxon Valdez I assumed it was the Alternator bracket. That was the only massive leak the car had ever developed in 10 years. What I should have done was put it on jackstands, remove all the covers and put a kiddie pool underneath it and start the motor.
Because when I had finished the Alt bracket o-ring the second time it still leaked like a sieve. Put it up on jackstands and put every pan I owned under it and had my wife briefly start it. The friggin' oil filter cover had a crack in it. Oil shot out of it like a super soaker. Dayum.
So, I've done it twice and it's not any more fun the second time.

Oh, and my 550i has a massive oil cooler in the cooling fan shroud. It's the biggest oil cooler I've ever seen. In my car the bracket is used to direct oil to the remote cooler.