DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:46 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

great job! I've got a 550i with 50K and this'll greatly help when I change the fluid for the first time.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Outstanding, Kyle. Added a reference (with attribution) to this to the latest version of "So you just bought an e60". Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60
Exclamation solenoid d (shift lock)

i changed my solenoids, sealing sleeve and gasket between transmission and mechatronik and im getting a transmission error on my i drive when i scan it i get a error code saying solenoid d (shift lock) and solenoid d circuit low what does all of this mean? i have not driven the car as yet i fill the transmission with oil went through the fill process i haven't reset the adoptions as yet im wait on the INPA/OBD2 cable do you think its because i haven't reset the adoptions im getting that code? which solenoid is d? i ordered them from ctsc.com im going crazy over here not a fan of auto trans nor the dealership

thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by skullkz
i changed my solenoids, sealing sleeve and gasket between transmission and mechatronik and im getting a transmission error on my i drive when i scan it i get a error code saying solenoid d (shift lock) and solenoid d circuit low what does all of this mean? i have not driven the car as yet i fill the transmission with oil went through the fill process i haven't reset the adoptions as yet im wait on the INPA/OBD2 cable do you think its because i haven't reset the adoptions im getting that code? which solenoid is d? i ordered them from ctsc.com im going crazy over here not a fan of auto trans nor the dealership

thanks
It probably means your shift interlock is malfunctioning for some reason. here:

Transmission Warning: Gear in use without Break - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

what is the year and model of your E60?

Last edited by KyleB; 08-20-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60

Originally Posted by KyleB
It probably means your shift interlock is malfunctioning for some reason. here:

Transmission Warning: Gear in use without Break - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

what is the year and model of your E60?
I figured it out the connector sleeve was not in fully and locked into place I reset the adaptations car runs good smooth shifting no shaking
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skullkz
I figured it out the connector sleeve was not in fully and locked into place I reset the adaptations car runs good smooth shifting no shaking
Aha! Yes, that will definitely do it. Glad you found the culprit and that it was an easy fix.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

I just bought an 04 545i with 85k on it. I'm planning to do a tranny fluid and filter replacement. I'm planning to have a local Indy doing the work. I discussed it with him and he seems to know his stuff re: solenoid replacement, etc. I'm planning to make sure he is using a the service kit offered by the CTSC w/ the new pan, integrated transmission filter, and pan gasket and drain plug pre-installed.

I went to the BMW dealer to check the service records on my car. Not a lot of detail but it sounds like it has not had a flush and fill w/ new pan done prior. So here is my question... Does a flush and fill get all the fluid out with all the gunk or should I consider having them do the flush and fill twice?

I'm not having any issues but I do want to do the best preventative maint. I can with this car. I'm not against paying for a bit of extra fluid if it will get more life out of the tranny and solenoids.

It currently needs brake fluid flush & fill, new front pads now, new rear pads in another 5k miles, and the regular maint. engine oil, etc. At 85k I've giving it a good 90k service sot its not going to be cheap but I plan to keep it for years so I want to keep up with all the maint.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gangplank
I just bought an 04 545i with 85k on it. I'm planning to do a tranny fluid and filter replacement. I'm planning to have a local Indy doing the work. I discussed it with him and he seems to know his stuff re: solenoid replacement, etc. I'm planning to make sure he is using a the service kit offered by the CTSC w/ the new pan, integrated transmission filter, and pan gasket and drain plug pre-installed.

I went to the BMW dealer to check the service records on my car. Not a lot of detail but it sounds like it has not had a flush and fill w/ new pan done prior. So here is my question... Does a flush and fill get all the fluid out with all the gunk or should I consider having them do the flush and fill twice?

I'm not having any issues but I do want to do the best preventative maint. I can with this car. I'm not against paying for a bit of extra fluid if it will get more life out of the tranny and solenoids.

It currently needs brake fluid flush & fill, new front pads now, new rear pads in another 5k miles, and the regular maint. engine oil, etc. At 85k I've giving it a good 90k service sot its not going to be cheap but I plan to keep it for years so I want to keep up with all the maint.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Most of us are doing two successive 'drain and fills', i.e. service the transmission once, drive a few hundred miles, then do it again. To do this you'd need a pan assembly and roughly 13L of fluid.

ZF doesn't have any procedures outlined to 'flush' the transmission of every ounce of fluid that is in it, which is why most people do it how I described above.

At 85K, I'd replace the pan and fluid. While you're doing that, check for leaks at the Mechatronic sealing sleeve. It's such a cheap part that I'd probably replace it even if it isn't leaking now when I did the first service, as replacing it requires removal of the pan.
After that I'd drive a few hundred miles, then do a simple drain and fill with the other 6L of fluid that I hadn't yet used.

good luck with the car.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

Originally Posted by KyleB
Most of us are doing two successive 'drain and fills', i.e. service the transmission once, drive a few hundred miles, then do it again. To do this you'd need a pan assembly and roughly 13L of fluid.

ZF doesn't have any procedures outlined to 'flush' the transmission of every ounce of fluid that is in it, which is why most people do it how I described above.

At 85K, I'd replace the pan and fluid. While you're doing that, check for leaks at the Mechatronic sealing sleeve. It's such a cheap part that I'd probably replace it even if it isn't leaking now when I did the first service, as replacing it requires removal of the pan.
After that I'd drive a few hundred miles, then do a simple drain and fill with the other 6L of fluid that I hadn't yet used.

good luck with the car.
Thanks for the info & this write up too btw. My Indy shop recommended doing the meachatronics sealing sleeve anyway while in there. I'll ask him how many liters of fluid they put in after and probably do a second flush & fill after a couple hundred miles.

Again, thanks!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gangplank
My Indy shop recommended doing the meachatronics sealing sleeve anyway while in there.

Again, thanks!
No sweat, agree 100% with doing the sealing sleeve while you're in there. It literally is about 4 minutes more work once you have the pan off.

Quick Reply: KyleB's 6HP19 service thread