DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 02:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

Nice thread! Used it when I did my fluid change at 111K miles. Filled with Valvoline Maxlife for $30 (Yes it meets the specs, vavloline rep sent me a spec sheet from 2015)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Default My 2004 530i

Hi KyleB I don't know if you still access this post, but I bought a 2004 BMW 530i 3 months ago, with 62k ( that's why I bought it) thinking if I do maintenance right it will last me 5-6 years. I had a coolant leak, so I went to my Indy in Jersey city, NJ (G&T) he replaced the whole cooling system( water pump, tank, belts) and I did a transmission flush thinking it's money well spent. A month ago I git the downshift transmission malfunction on the highway, I pulled over, restarted the car and all is good. A month later same thing happened, I went to him he checked the transmission fluid level and said it's good. I had the 485F code gear ratio clutch E thing. He said it would need a tranny rebuilt, and then I stumbled on your post, hoped it's not the drive shaft considering the car has just 62k now, so I ordered the solenoid kit and it came today.
I'm gonna get the selas you mentioned and go to him, I'm still worried it won't fix it, considering I bad the car 3 months and I put already $3000 on it. I'm freaking out . do you have any advices for me?
2004 bmw 530i .
Thanks
Old 04-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Boklos
Hi KyleB I don't know if you still access this post, but I bought a 2004 BMW 530i 3 months ago, with 62k ( that's why I bought it) thinking if I do maintenance right it will last me 5-6 years. I had a coolant leak, so I went to my Indy in Jersey city, NJ (G&T) he replaced the whole cooling system( water pump, tank, belts) and I did a transmission flush thinking it's money well spent. A month ago I git the downshift transmission malfunction on the highway, I pulled over, restarted the car and all is good. A month later same thing happened, I went to him he checked the transmission fluid level and said it's good. I had the 485F code gear ratio clutch E thing. He said it would need a tranny rebuilt, and then I stumbled on your post, hoped it's not the drive shaft considering the car has just 62k now, so I ordered the solenoid kit and it came today.
I'm gonna get the selas you mentioned and go to him, I'm still worried it won't fix it, considering I bad the car 3 months and I put already $3000 on it. I'm freaking out . do you have any advices for me?
2004 bmw 530i .
Thanks
What kind of fluid did he use? what 'flush' procedure did he perform? I had 4F85 also, and you can obviously see what I did about it. at 62K i doubt its the input shaft on the trans, but that is a remote possibility.

good luck.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
What kind of fluid did he use? what 'flush' procedure did he perform? I had 4F85 also, and you can obviously see what I did about it. at 62K i doubt its the input shaft on the trans, but that is a remote possibility.

good luck.
I don't really know KyleB what kind he used, he has good reputation as a BMW Indy, so I think he did the right transmission service, u think , but if you tell me what to ask I would ask him. Do you recommend that he does a second transmission fluid change before the solenoid ? Also I was able to locate the mechatronic seal adapter( bridge seal?), the 4 sleeves and the insulator, but not the mechatronic sealing sleeve on thectsc.com which one it is ?
So in conclusion after you recommend or not doing a second flush, do the selonoid change and cross my fingers?
Old 04-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

I don't really know KyleB what kind he used, he has good reputation as a BMW Indy, so I think he did the right transmission service, u think , but if you tell me what to ask I would ask him. Do you recommend that he does a second transmission fluid change before the solenoid ? Also I was able to locate the mechatronic seal adapter( bridge seal?), the 4 sleeves and the insulator, but not the mechatronic sealing sleeve on thectsc.com which one it is ?
So in conclusion after you recommend or not doing a second flush, do the selonoid change and cross my fingers?
If you're going to replace your solenoids, replace the gearbox fluid at the same time (which would be the second time for you). If you can't find the mechatronic sealing sleeve on thectsc.com, that is one part you actually can get at the dealer if you have one near you. but thectsc definitely has it, it is one of the most commonly replaced components on the 6HP gearboxes.

ill cross my fingers for you. good luck with the car. make sure your indy is doing the transmission fill the proper way, and don't forget to reset adaptations.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:47 AM
New Members

If you're going to replace your solenoids, replace the gearbox fluid at the same time (which would be the second time for you). If you can't find the mechatronic sealing sleeve on thectsc.com, that is one part you actually can get at the dealer if you have one near you. but thectsc definitely has it, it is one of the most commonly replaced components on the 6HP gearboxes.

ill cross my fingers for you. good luck with the car. make sure your indy is doing the transmission fill the proper way, and don't forget to reset adaptations.
I have received the selonoid kit from Germany on eBay, from a private seller with good reviews, are they supposed to be in fluid in the plastic bag as the attached picture? I hope they are the right ones, as thecstc had 2 different M-shift kits

Where can I get the zf fluid from? The dealer?

I will cross my finger, I am not sure that my Indy dis this job before, would you recommend anyone in North Jersey who did transmission work?

Again thanks for this thread and all your replies, you be been more than helpful

https://goo.gl/photos/fxUGx6RDD5iuTav7A
Old 04-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes the solenoids should be coated in an oily substance it's there to prevent corrosion. I always use zf lifeguard6, I get it from the ctsc. Call a local Chrysler dealer, Chrysler used 6hp gearboxes in several models (300C for example) so maybe you can get it there too. Others can chime in about fluids too. Good luck
Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM
New Members

Yes the solenoids should be coated in an oily substance it's there to prevent corrosion. I always use zf lifeguard6, I get it from the ctsc. Call a local Chrysler dealer, Chrysler used 6hp gearboxes in several models (300C for example) so maybe you can get it there too. Others can chime in about fluids too. Good luck
Well, I went ahead and let him do it, I picked the car today ! Didn't drive it on highway yet, but he put new lifeguard oil, he said the old one didn't have any debris in the pan, temperature was fine he said. Reset adaptations. So I guess we will see , I'll update the forum with what happens . thanks again KyleB for this thread. If it works, you saved me from a rebuilt tranny !
Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 520i S/E LCI mod.6-2008extras:sun roof,PDC ,Xenon,sport packet etc.Mods:Outsite: full look //m5(bumbers/mirrors/fenders/side skirts/trunk finisher/wheels 166/big-brakes-kit //m5)Angel eyes Gp-thunder 8500kInsite: cluster //m5 optik
Model Year: 2008

Well, I went ahead and let him do it, I picked the car today ! Didn't drive it on highway yet, but he put new lifeguard oil, he said the old one didn't have any debris in the pan, temperature was fine he said. Reset adaptations. So I guess we will see , I'll update the forum with what happens . thanks again KyleB for this thread. If it works, you saved me from a rebuilt tranny !
still cross fingers or problem resolved???

i hope the second thing hapen....

Quick Reply: KyleB's 6HP19 service thread