DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Install paddle shift steering wheel??? Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d 272km

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I actually did not spend that much for parts just money just yet, as I've paid around 25€ for the slip ring with the base. The biggest cost for me was the steering wheel ~250€ witch is genuine M5 steering in PERFECT condition, so I would love to make it work.

Do you know why these parts will not fit? The connectors on the base seem to be the same type.
If I could connect the LCI mounting base and slip ring I should be fine *in theory.

Would it be possible to keep the steering wheel that I have now and just get a different slip ring?
If so where can I buy it?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Myga
Hey guys,

I'm trying to fit in the M5 steering wheel (the LCI version) in to my pre-LCI 535d.

I've already did one attempt when I observed what follows:
- My factory installed (M-sports) steering wheel is equipped with airbag module/connector inside the bottom arm
- My M5 steering wheel (LCI) does not have that module
- I've bought the LCI slip ring (equipped with airbag connector) but it wont fit the pre-LCI base

From there I've decided to buy the LCI base that will go with the LCI slip ring.
I checked the pictures online and they have the same connectors - just placed in different positions.

Now, I got the LCI slipring mounting base, that in theory should fit.
Before I take apart the steering column again I want to make sure if there are any surprises I should expect? My ignition slot uses a classic key with is obviously different than the LCI version. Should I expect any trouble trying to replace the whole set?

I did that ages ago and sorry I don't remember exactly step by step, but let's try.

If I'm correct pre LCI steering wheel has some kind of box in the wheel itself, so you need to buy pre LCI as well (sorry)
the slip ring requires soldering of those 2 wires, they go towards the gear selector.

that basically all you need to do.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19

Originally Posted by scoopo16@hotmail.com
Hey Mate, I recently bought a 530D M-sport - the previous owner fitted the M5 steering wheel with the paddle shifters, he told me that they dont function and just need coding.

After some research I found out there is in fact no recoding required, I've found plenty of information that tells me I need to wire the paddles to the gear shifter however nobody has done a guide (or at least if they have I cant find one).

As I've said about the steering is fitted and the paddles are illuminated just not functional, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Fergus
As I have written above, is it pre LCI or LCI version?

take the steering wheel out and check the slip ring and you will see, you may need new slip ring or just the wiring modes.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535d 272km

Hey,

I have the same problem now. I'm looking for a wiring info for pre-lci version.
Parts that I have collected:
- 6 911 515 - Complete m5 slip ring cartridge
- 32342282862 - Complete m5 steering wheel

From what I know I should just connect the wires now from the slipping to the gear selector pins. I just have some troubles locating the pins at the slip ring that I should use.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Myga
From what I know I should just connect the wires now from the slipping to the gear selector pins. I just have some troubles locating the pins at the slip ring that I should use.
You have to create them, that is the reason it is called wiring mode, not that simple in the pre LCI.

If I remember correctly you need to use soldering gun and solder two cables somewhere on the slip ring.

Have a look here

Last edited by madein; 08-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: E50 530D MS

It's a 2006 so pre-LCI, it's an m-sport also (if that makes any difference).

I'll take out the steering and have a look at the slip rings soon.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by madein
As I have written above, is it pre LCI or LCI version?

take the steering wheel out and check the slip ring and you will see, you may need new slip ring or just the wiring modes.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

i made up a poor man's pre-LCI button shift a few years ago. It uses the existing steering wheel buttons to change gears. If there is demand for it I can make a couple more. It saves people from having to buy a new steering wheel and is completely plug and play for the most part.