DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to keep AE's bright all the time with NCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

So after trying to modify ever value in my LMA that even remotely mentioned SL_V (angel eyes) I FINALLY got the AE's to stay bright when the headlights are on. As an added bonus they go to full brightness with the welcome lights and stay full bright when you turn your car off in the 'auto' light mode, until you open you door that is...

Go into LMA and look for:

PWM_AN_SL_V_AL_1_34
wert_06 - ** Change to wert_01 **

I have not tried any other 'wert' options because I always start at 01 and work my way up. Once I saw that it worked I ran straight to this forum to post.

PS: If you are running, or want to run HID H8's and don't want flicker with welcome lights, change:

WL_SL_1 to ** hart_einschalten **

Stock setting is soft_einschalten, and that messes with the ballast because it slowly gives it voltage instead of just turning the light instantly on.

Have fun!!

Blood, or somebody, can you add this to the google doc please? I can't figure out how.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

For pre-LCI only or LCI as well?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

I have LMA2 with LCI conversion so it should be for all LCI.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I updated the Google Spreadsheet to include your finding.

Just for comparison I went and chk my old backup trace file before my light conversion the pre-LCI listed the default value for the same function as wert_02 and AFAIK pre-LCI don't dim.

Originally Posted by Sublime
[...]

I have not tried any other 'wert' options because I always start at 01 and work my way up. Once I saw that it worked I ran straight to this forum to post.

[...]
Blood, or somebody, can you add this to the google doc please? I can't figure out how
Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add it to Google Docs. It's password protected now because someone removed the information in the file recently. EDIT: Oops Blastiwi already did!

Anyway, great discovery! But what exactly do you mean by "always bright"? Are you referring to the Daytime Running Lamps mode (full angel eyes output) even in parking lights mode and also in xenons on mode?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Sorry beat yaa to it

When I measured w/ multimeter it's regularly at +/- 12v but dropped to +/- 5v when the Xenon (main beam) on. This function should make it stays w/o dropping.

Originally Posted by kreveta
I'll add it to Google Docs. It's password protected now because someone removed the information in the file recently. EDIT: Oops Blastiwi already did!

Anyway, great discovery! But what exactly do you mean by "always bright"? Are you referring to the Daytime Running Lamps mode (full angel eyes output) even in parking lights mode and also in xenons on mode?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Awesome.

I always wondered why the output is dimmed to 5V with main beams on (compared to DRLs which I suppose is the same bulb but runs at full 12V brightness). I still don't know, but I'm going to the garage to fix it
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Kewl! Pls let us know ...

I'm really itchin' to try it but I'm away from the car ... darn it this is killin' me ...

Originally Posted by kreveta
Awesome.

I always wondered why the output is dimmed to 5V with main beams on (compared to DRLs which I suppose is the same bulb but runs at full 12V brightness). I still don't know, but I'm going to the garage to fix it
Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Since I don't have LM2 to test and play with, have you guys tinkled with upping the voltage from 12V to 16V? I read a week or two ago some E9x people were doing that to make their AE's brighter. Obviously this will come at an expense to the bulb/LED's life of course.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

No luck here yet. Getting error SYS-0005 when trying to read LMA module in CAS. Other modules work. Maybe I need more recent DATEN files (mine are from 01/2010) or something else is broken.

Quick Reply: How to keep AE's bright all the time with NCS