DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to keep AE's bright all the time with NCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yes, you're missing particular files. Make note of what the files that are being communicated with when you try to read. Then search to see if you have those files. I had the same problem reading LMA module on LCI cars that had adaptive. I ended up getting the file from Blood and NoQuarter and has been good since.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have adaptives on my LCI. My NCS Expert is complete from NoQuarter so I'm not sure, but I'm updating my DATEN files now (I'll try to copy over the files which are missing too). I'll check back with the result, might be useful for other LCI owners with adaptive headlights.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Oh humm. That is odd. If I recall correctly, you're across the pond from us? Did he send you a DVD?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Oh humm. That is odd. If I recall correctly, you're across the pond from us? Did he send you a DVD?

We did a remote copy of the files PC-to-PC during a remote coding session. It worked for what we tried to do but still worth going through a fresh install of a good version.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Managed to make it work. Used the V40 daten files and added one missing file in EDIABAS\Ecu.

My findings:

If you change to wert_01, and read the ECU again after writing the MAN file, the new TRC is:

wert_01
wert_04

For some reason, the failsafe mechanism is adding wert_04 as a second line. I do not know whether the ECU only reads the last line, or a combination of lines. Can anyone confirm on how this works?

Anyway, after this change, you get:

- 12V inner angels in all modes, just like in with DRLs feature on in daylight, but now even in parking lights mode. Standard is reportedly 5V. You can now actually drive on parking lights with 12V inners AND eyebrows on. This is what DRL feature does but never with eyebrows at the same time from factory. Eyebrows are not that noticeable in daylight, but still pretty cool. Be careful here not to drain your battery if you use parking lights frequently when parking in the dark. Also it lights a dark street twice as more, which isn't always pleasing.
- Outer angels seem to be unaffected by this mod, I guess they always run at 12V but the stock bulb has lower output than the inner bulbs running on 12V.
- With main beams (xenons) on, 12V inner angels are noticeably brighter and more appealing. Looks great.

Please report your findings too, I'm curious to find out whether I'm right with mine.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Tkx for test result

There's actually only 1 H8 bulb for both AE rings, the reason the inner brighter 'cuz it's closer to the bulb and I think what DRL originally designed.

Have you try to use wert_02 instead? It's what pre-LCI uses and pre-LCI don't have dimming ability.

Originally Posted by kreveta
Managed to make it work. Used the V40 daten files and added one missing file in EDIABAS\Ecu.

My findings:

If you change to wert_01, and read the ECU again after writing the MAN file, the new TRC is:

wert_01
wert_04

For some reason, the failsafe mechanism is adding wert_04 as a second line. I do not know whether the ECU only reads the last line, or a combination of lines. Can anyone confirm on how this works?

Anyway, after this change, you get:

- 12V inner angels in all modes, just like in with DRLs feature on in daylight, but now even in parking lights mode. Standard is reportedly 5V. You can now actually drive on parking lights with 12V inners AND eyebrows on. This is what DRL feature does but never with eyebrows at the same time from factory. Eyebrows are not that noticeable in daylight, but still pretty cool. Be careful here not to drain your battery if you use parking lights frequently when parking in the dark. Also it lights the dark street twice as more, which isn't always pleasing.
- Outer angels seem to be unaffected by this mod, I guess they always run at 12V but the stock bulb has lower output than the inner bulbs running on 12V.
- With main beams (xenons) on, 12V inner angels are noticeably brighter and more appealing. Looks great.

Please report your findings too, I'm curious to find out whether I'm right with mine.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

Are you sure there's only one bulb in LCI? Never checked physically.

Haven't tried wert_02 yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Uppps ... double post ...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yep ... I'm pretty sure ... I've been swapping my H8 bulb a lot of time ... to much actually
The H8 AE bulb is only located behind the smaller/inner round reflector.

Originally Posted by kreveta
Are you sure there's only one bulb in LCI? Never checked physically.

Haven't tried wert_02 yet.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

So the outers and inners share the same bulb, at 12V both are brighter, but not very noticeable on the outer rings due to the bulb position. Makes sense. Thanks

Quick Reply: How to keep AE's bright all the time with NCS