DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to fix windscreen washer jets blocked or losing pressure

Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 AM
CMJ
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Just wanted to say that for even a DIY ***K whit like me this job has just gone successfully without a hitch. All 3 pumps and filters needed cleaning and the stench from the algae was pretty strong. Even managed to reconnect the rear wash by removing the rear spoiler (e61). All I can say is thank you to those I follow on this forum.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Contributors

That's a great DIY ... I only use bottled washer fluid in my cars and wonder what the source of the algae you found is. You'd think that the detergent that cleans and alcohol used to prevent freezing wouldn't allow that stuff to grow even if the system isn't used that often.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Can anyone help on the rear washer jet? My front jets are working but the rear one has stopped working this week.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
New Members

You just saved me a lot of effort and cash, many thanks for this very useful post

Followed your method and all was well again in about 20 minutes... I can see where i'm going again now

Ian.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

I heard from my SA just yesterday that this is common and alot of it is due to people using the "blue" washer fluid which cruds up the lines (and burnt the motor out on my car)...I guess you are only supposed to use BMW approved washer fluid..makes me wonder if they designed the system to only run on BMW spec'ed fluid..
Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

You are an angel
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i (E60 model 2004) M54B30 - 231 HP/PS Automatic gearbox Titanium silber metallic Leather NASCA Ventilated and heated seats And a lot more...

I'm a producer of windshield washer fluids and car care cosmetics I know the subject and problem with choking is caused by following things:
- in case of winter liquid - using running water instead of distilled/demineralised water for production. Small amount of denatured alcohol allows algae and other organic animalcules to growth. Additionally, probably, You are diluting liquids at home made way buying concentrates and mixing it with running water.... so the problem is still up to date.
- in case of summer liquid - problem is the same but for this assortment producer should add to the product stabilisers and preservatives and this should help to avoid prospering those organic elements.
Using brand products is not always keeping You against those problems.
In my factory in Poland our products could be sold even in hot Croatia (and they are ) and we have never get quality complaint !!

Guys You must think about introducing my high quality (and cheap) products into Your markets
Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 AM
New Members

Great tutorial. Worked a treat on my 535d.
Also, followed the same procedure for the filter on the headlamp spray pump as well.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

Help appreciated!

2004 Jan E60 525i. Noticed last week the washer fluid seems to be losing pressure. Today noticed both sides stopped spray completely. When pushing down the control to start spray, I could hear humming noise and presume that came from the pump?

Disconnect the fluid pipe to one of the two sprayers, and tried to blow air with mouth back to the washer fluid tank and confirmed tank fluid would rise with my breath.

Any thoughts why I have no spray at all? If I can push fluid to rise by blowing from the sprayer side close to the windshield, doesn't that mean there is no clog to keep fluid moving both ways? And with the humming noise, can I assume the pump is working as well?

Also noticed there are wires going into underneath the two sprayers close to the windshield. What does that electricity do there?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

Oh, just want to add one more thing -

After I disconnect the hose to the driver side nozzle, I tried to blow air to this nozzle using a 1/4" hose and air did not flow at all. I suspect it is the same on the other end. Are these two nozzles shut off until driver initiates the spraying?

If clogged, how to clean these nozzles?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to fix windscreen washer jets blocked or losing pressure