DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i XDrive JB4

How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-lpfs-small.jpg REPLACING THE LOW PRESSURE FUEL SENSOR ON AN N54 Click image for larger version

Name:	LPFS small.jpg
Views:	2419
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	133987

I searched everywhere and could not find a procedure to change the low pressure fuel sensor on my 2010 535i (E60, N54), so hopefully someone finds this useful...

STEP 1. There are already several step-by-step instructions for removing the micro filter and cowl, so I won't waste time repeating what someone else has already done. (You only have to remove the drivers side.)

STEP 2. Same thing for the air box.

STEP 3. Next, remove the throttle body. To do this, remove the torx fastener located at the opposite end of the pipe, and then pry up on the clip holding the pipe to the throttle body with a flat head screwdriver and pull the hose off. Remove the (4) x 10mm fasteners holding the throttle body to the intake manifold (FYI - torque the fasteners to 8nm when you put it back on.) There is also a vacuum line leading out of the back of the throttle body, squeeze and rotate to remove it. Finally, unplug the electrical connector and you will be able to move the throttle body to the side and out of the way. Cover it with a rag so that nothing nasty gets in there. You might also want to take this opportunity to clean it with carb cleaner if it looks like mine did!

How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic1.jpg How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic2.jpg

STEP 4. The #&^%ing Wiring Harness Junction Box! - I suggest you save yourself a piece of sanity and make this tool. It requires ruining a screwdriver, but believe me - it is worth it. Wedge the tip of the special screwdriver under the plastic slot so that the tip is wedged between the Wiring Harness Junction Box and the metal bracket that is holding it in place. Gently pry up so as to bend the plastic upward so that you can slide the junction box over the metal catch while pulling towards you at the same time. After you get one side, do the same thing to the other. When prying up, be careful not to damage the surface of the intake manifold where the throttle body mounts - you need that surface to stay nice and smooth so that the throttle body o-ring seals.

How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic3.jpg How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic4.jpg

STEP 5. With the Wiring Harness Junction Box removed, we can finally see the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor. Using a small flat head terminal screwdriver, pry the clip on the electrical connector back, and pull up on the connector to unplug it.

How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic5.jpg How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic6.jpg

STEP 6. Using a 24mm (or 15/16) wrench, remove the sensor and replace with new one. Notice when you break the sensor loose that it is not super tight. Be careful when tightening the new sensor that you don't over tighten! It would be a real bummer if you snapped it off or stripped the threads. I couldn't find the torque spec for the sensor. If anyone knows what it is, let me know and I will add it.

How to change the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor on N54-pic7.jpg

STEP 7. Put everything back together in reverse order to how it was disassembled, and you're done!
The following users liked this post:
RenĂ© Van de Wetering (01-02-2021)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

Wow great diy! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Cool. I love DIY's who doesn't? lol
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Black Metallic Sapphire

Originally Posted by pugdaddys
Attachment 133987 REPLACING THE LOW PRESSURE FUEL SENSOR ON AN N54 Attachment 133987

I searched everywhere and could not find a procedure to change the low pressure fuel sensor on my 2010 535i (E60, N54), so hopefully someone finds this useful...

STEP 1. There are already several step-by-step instructions for removing the micro filter and cowl, so I won't waste time repeating what someone else has already done. (You only have to remove the drivers side.)

BMW Microfilter & Housing Removal E60 5 series How to DIY: BMTroubleU - YouTube

STEP 2. Same thing for the air box.

YouTube

STEP 3. Next, remove the throttle body. To do this, remove the torx fastener located at the opposite end of the pipe, and then pry up on the clip holding the pipe to the throttle body with a flat head screwdriver and pull the hose off. Remove the (4) x 10mm fasteners holding the throttle body to the intake manifold (FYI - torque the fasteners to 8nm when you put it back on.) There is also a vacuum line leading out of the back of the throttle body, squeeze and rotate to remove it. Finally, unplug the electrical connector and you will be able to move the throttle body to the side and out of the way. Cover it with a rag so that nothing nasty gets in there. You might also want to take this opportunity to clean it with carb cleaner if it looks like mine did!

Attachment 133980 Attachment 133981

STEP 4. The #&^%ing Wiring Harness Junction Box! - I suggest you save yourself a piece of sanity and make this tool. It requires ruining a screwdriver, but believe me - it is worth it. Wedge the tip of the special screwdriver under the plastic slot so that the tip is wedged between the Wiring Harness Junction Box and the metal bracket that is holding it in place. Gently pry up so as to bend the plastic upward so that you can slide the junction box over the metal catch while pulling towards you at the same time. After you get one side, do the same thing to the other. When prying up, be careful not to damage the surface of the intake manifold where the throttle body mounts - you need that surface to stay nice and smooth so that the throttle body o-ring seals.

Attachment 133982 Attachment 133983

STEP 5. With the Wiring Harness Junction Box removed, we can finally see the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor. Using a small flat head terminal screwdriver, pry the clip on the electrical connector back, and pull up on the connector to unplug it.

Attachment 133984 Attachment 133985

STEP 6. Using a 24mm (or 15/16) wrench, remove the sensor and replace with new one. Notice when you break the sensor loose that it is not super tight. Be careful when tightening the new sensor that you don't over tighten! It would be a real bummer if you snapped it off or stripped the threads. I couldn't find the torque spec for the sensor. If anyone knows what it is, let me know and I will add it.

Attachment 133986

STEP 7. Put everything back together in reverse order to how it was disassembled, and you're done!

Thank for the DIY. Can you re-up the videos?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Black Metallic Sapphire

Can you re-post the videos, please. Thank you for the DIY
Old 08-28-2015, 11:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi E60 N54

4AZ Low-pressure fuel sensor
N54, N53
M10
20 - 3 Nm
Old 01-02-2021, 09:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E92
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N53

High there, the torque specs are 20 - 3 NM , that’s what TIS BMW says. So what I understand of it, is about 20 NM , I don’t know what the -3 means!
greetings René
Old 01-03-2021, 12:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E92
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N53

Sorry, I didn’t see the reply about the torque specs, so now you have it twice! ;-)
I don’t own a 5 serie, but a 3 serie, I do a lot of maintenance or repairs by myself, so if anyone needs some info or advise, I will be happy to give it!