DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500

Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005(55) E60 M Sport. Silver Grey, 19" wheels, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. Black Dakota Leather, High Gloss Dark Maple Wood.
Default Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500

I was given a Dension Gateway 500 for a present yesterday. I decided to install in myself and here is the story.
Before I start can I say I do not work for or have any connection with dension. I am not an automotive engineer (money is crap anyway) and I suffer from Acute Rheumatoid Arthritis so if I can do it anyone can!!!

I started by unpacking the various bits.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0425.jpg

I then took the glove box out completely. Remove pin at each side of the glove box that hold the supports in. Underneath glovebox remove 4 screws on each hinge and take glovebox out.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0426.jpg

Next, remove CD Changer. The screws are located under a small flap at each corner as shown. They require a 2.5 mm hex key. Don't try to completely remove the screws as they are captive. Just undo enough for the CDC to be pulled out.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0427.jpg

The connector is at the rear of the CDC. Unplug and remove CDC.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0428.jpg

Now loosen the trim in the footwell. There are 3 cross head screws to remove and the trim can be moved down.
Pull the CDC connector down and out through this gap. It makes life very easy!
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0429.jpg

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0430.jpg

The CDC connector has power and fibre cables. You need to separate them. There is a small tab on the connector that must be pulled out with a small screwdriver. The fibre optic plug can be pulled out as a complete unit. Take care to read Dension's instructions as well. Note the direction arrows on the fibre optic plug.

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0431.jpg

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0432.jpg

At this point follow the Dension instructions to the letter. This is what the fibre optics will look like.

Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0433.jpg

Make off the power connections. Red is +ve and Brown is -ve. I used a breakout style connector.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0434.jpg

Once all cables were made off I connected everything up as per the instructions to test. I had a load of problems. Main one was I forgot to replace fuse 38 that supplies power to the CDC! The air was blue. I had to go inside, have a cup of tea and kick the dog. Felt better, went back to car and found fuse on the bloody floor!!! Bugger!!
It is important that the unit is setup correctly. The instructions that came with the unit were not the same as I downloaded from the web site so beware. Set the dip switches for BMW mp3 (1 and 2 ON, 3 and 4 OFF). You must also make sure the unit has the up to date firmware. This is downloaded from the Dension support web page http://support.dension.com/support-center/...x=&mod_id=1 Finally make sure the unit is switched on or in the correct mode. This is done via the switch on the AUX box. This also has the reset button.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0435.jpg

If all is well you will end up with something like this on the display. You will need to plat around with the iDrive to find out the operation. Its a bit hit and miss until you are familiar with it.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0437.jpg

Finally , disconnect everything and have a tidy up of the electrics. I used some heat shrink tube plus heat shrink tape.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0438.jpg

Connect everything back up as before. I mounted the Dension unit above the trim in the passenger footwell hard over to the left hand side. I coiled all the cables up using tie wraps. Fit glovebox back as before and also the trim plate. Put all the crap back in the glove box, connect up the iPod and bingo! loads of music. I also tested out using a USB stck. Just as good.
Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500-img_0439.jpg

I hope that this is of use to you guys. I would imagine the install to be similar to those of you unfortunate enough to have the steering wheel on the wrong side. The CDC still works as well!
If I can give you any more information please PM me and I will try to help. The whole installation took me just under 1 hour, not including the tea break sorting out the fuse issue!

Regards for the New Tear.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

cool! good job on the tutorial... thanks!

got a question(s). this module gives you an ipod input with the o.e.m. system without going to the dealer to get the car's idrive reprogramed for it? i have an '04 530 without navigation or ipod connection. would this system work for me? i visited their site and saw that video inputs are also available, did you get those too?

thanks,
orlee
Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential

Can I suggest a group buy ?
In last weeks many members got it and many others will .
Old 12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

AlexFW, I'm in for a group buy.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Great DIY tutorial! Should make this a sticky...

Originally Posted by Muttley' post='510680' date='Dec 26 2007, 09:43 AM
I was given a Dension Gateway 500 for a present yesterday. I decided to install in myself and here is the story.
Before I start can I say I do not work for or have any connection with dension. I am not an automotive engineer (money is crap anyway) and I suffer from Acute Rheumatoid Arthritis so if I can do it anyone can!!!

I started by unpacking the various bits.
Attachment 42262

I then took the glove box out completely. Remove pin at each side of the glove box that hold the supports in. Underneath glovebox remove 4 screws on each hinge and take glovebox out.
Attachment 42263

Next, remove CD Changer. The screws are located under a small flap at each corner as shown. They require a 2.5 mm hex key. Don't try to completely remove the screws as they are captive. Just undo enough for the CDC to be pulled out.
Attachment 42264

The connector is at the rear of the CDC. Unplug and remove CDC.
Attachment 42265

Now loosen the trim in the footwell. There are 3 cross head screws to remove and the trim can be moved down.
Pull the CDC connector down and out through this gap. It makes life very easy!
Attachment 42266

Attachment 42267

The CDC connector has power and fibre cables. You need to separate them. There is a small tab on the connector that must be pulled out with a small screwdriver. The fibre optic plug can be pulled out as a complete unit. Take care to read Dension's instructions as well. Note the direction arrows on the fibre optic plug.

Attachment 42268

Attachment 42269

At this point follow the Dension instructions to the letter. This is what the fibre optics will look like.

Attachment 42270

Make off the power connections. Red is +ve and Brown is -ve. I used a breakout style connector.
Attachment 42271

Once all cables were made off I connected everything up as per the instructions to test. I had a load of problems. Main one was I forgot to replace fuse 38 that supplies power to the CDC! The air was blue. I had to go inside, have a cup of tea and kick the dog. Felt better, went back to car and found fuse on the bloody floor!!! Bugger!!
It is important that the unit is setup correctly. The instructions that came with the unit were not the same as I downloaded from the web site so beware. Set the dip switches for BMW mp3 (1 and 2 ON, 3 and 4 OFF). You must also make sure the unit has the up to date firmware. This is downloaded from the Dension support web page http://support.dension.com/support-center/...x=&mod_id=1 Finally make sure the unit is switched on or in the correct mode. This is done via the switch on the AUX box. This also has the reset button.
Attachment 42272

If all is well you will end up with something like this on the display. You will need to plat around with the iDrive to find out the operation. Its a bit hit and miss until you are familiar with it.
Attachment 42273

Finally , disconnect everything and have a tidy up of the electrics. I used some heat shrink tube plus heat shrink tape.
Attachment 42274

Connect everything back up as before. I mounted the Dension unit above the trim in the passenger footwell hard over to the left hand side. I coiled all the cables up using tie wraps. Fit glovebox back as before and also the trim plate. Put all the crap back in the glove box, connect up the iPod and bingo! loads of music. I also tested out using a USB stck. Just as good.
Attachment 42275

I hope that this is of use to you guys. I would imagine the install to be similar to those of you unfortunate enough to have the steering wheel on the wrong side. The CDC still works as well!
If I can give you any more information please PM me and I will try to help. The whole installation took me just under 1 hour, not including the tea break sorting out the fuse issue!

Regards for the New Tear.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='510814' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:25 PM
AlexFW, I'm in for a group buy.

I think all European members would prefer to order in EU due to the duties ..

There was a shop in Germany .

"rhein audio", rysed said .

Someone should mail them and ask for a price

http://www.alles-in-koeln.de/kontakt/kontakt-6743.html
Old 12-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Engine: M54

been reading up an apparently if you dont have the AUX or a CD-changer already installed and working it will not work for you. Blah, i gotta upgrade to much to then upgrade to this system.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='510831' date='Dec 26 2007, 11:59 PM
I think all European members would prefer to order in EU due to the duties ..

There was a shop in Germany .

"rhein audio", rysed said .

Someone should mail them and ask for a price

http://www.alles-in-koeln.de/kontakt/kontakt-6743.html
if you are already asking others to mail them, you should atleast post the right url

http://www.alles-in-koeln.de/store/rhein_audio.html

or

http://www.rheinaudio.info/

Rhein Audio Auto Media Service
Gilson Strasse 68a
51145 K?ln

Tel: 02203-9801188

@Muttley - great writeup!!!!!

@orlee008 - you also need a i-drive that is capable of playing back mp3. cd-changer is not necessarily a requirement, it just makes life easier because you have the bus available in your glove compartment, otherwise you need to draw the cable from the middle console where the i-drive is...
Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005(55) E60 M Sport. Silver Grey, 19" wheels, Media Pack, Visibility Pack. Black Dakota Leather, High Gloss Dark Maple Wood.

A quick reply to some of your questions.

You need to have the 6 disc CD changer and mp3 enabled on the in dash unit. You also need the screen but not sat nav. No need for coding if you have CDC and mp3. I also have the latest version of software on the car.

Wife bought mine via the Dension Web site http://www.dension.com/dealers.php You can do a search via Country. Shop around as the prices do vary, especially delivery charges. Cost was ?268.00 inc VAT and delivery. Apart from my time, installation cost me ?0.99 in bits and ?0.25 for a plaster (Band Aid for the USA) as I cut my finger when pulling the fuse. Should have mentioned to use the BMW supplied fuse puller in toolkit!

The unit gives an AUX input but no video. There is space on the unit and an unused socket so perhaps this is a later development?

I have had a chance to really play with the unit and it is really good compared to the BMW iPod interface. Easy to navigate using playlists, Artists, Albums and a general iPod menu for tracks. Did I mention that it also charges the iPod? Pretty good all round. Dogs Gonads in my opinion.

Previously had the Dension DICE kit on my X5. It was a good idea but needs more R and D to make it really useful. Looks like the Gateway is about right, especially as you can upgrade flash easily.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Just one more question : is this the cheapest way/device to have the USB port ?
Or is there something simpler ?

Thanks, bye!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Installation of Dension Gateway 500