DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to torque correctly - brake bleed screw and fumoto valve adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

I need to make sure that I torque the following two correctly to the spec. I have the regular click stop torque wrench and bunch of sockets.

1. Brake bleed screws: the sockets are not deep enough to grab the hex surface at the base of the bleed screws. Not sure if deep sockets may solve the problem?

2. Fumoto oil drain valve: none of my sockets can grab this valve given its L-shape. See a photo at QuickOilDrainValve.com

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BlueHorse
I need to make sure that I torque the following two correctly to the spec. I have the regular click stop torque wrench and bunch of sockets.

1. Brake bleed screws: the sockets are not deep enough to grab the hex surface at the base of the bleed screws. Not sure if deep sockets may solve the problem?

2. Fumoto oil drain valve: none of my sockets can grab this valve given its L-shape. See a photo at QuickOilDrainValve.com

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Not sure if there is a torque spec for the bleed screw but use a 11mm (I think or 9mm) wrench not a socket and close it not too tight though.

As for the drain valve use the open ended side of the wrench.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueHorse

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
1. Bleeder to caliper
9mm screw - (5-8 ft-lbs)
11mm screw - (9-12 ft-lbs)

If you want to get real scientific (wear a white lab coat like a NASA scientist) use a deeper socket or crow's foot wrench on a very small torque wrench (for crow's foot you have to calculate offset and adjust torque).
But IMHO that is making a mountain out of a mole hill. As an old Italian mechanic I would frequent used to say "Tight, but nota tooa tight".

A cheap set of crow's feet from HFT - http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-94427.html

2. Fumoto oil drain valve - Assume same as oil drain plug - 10 Nm or 89 in-lb (About 7.5 ft-lb).
Again if it has hex drive surfaces use the crow's foot with calculated offset.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Just use a flare nut wrench on the brake bleeder screws. You can get a 9 x 11 mm flare wrench for about $4 from Cripe Distributing