DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP!!!! Interior inlay help!

Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

Hi all!

I have checked the search, but can't find anything to answer my predicament!!

Basically, the other day, a £2 coin fell into the centre vents on the dash of the M5, and I can't seem to get it out!! I have tried Blu Tak on a thin stick, and that didn't work, and then I tried to pull the inlay off and that seemed to be impossible!! The coin is now rattling around each time I go round a left or right corner as it slides around inside the vent! NOT GOOD!!!

Can anyone shed some light on how I am supposed to get the coin out from inside the vents?! Please help!!

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:38 AM
DSF
Members

My Ride: 545i Individual 2005
Model Year: 2005

If the coin is metallic you need a magnetic tool.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

I didn't even think about that! I don't know if the coin is magnetic though...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Jon M5
Hi all!

I have checked the search, but can't find anything to answer my predicament!!

Basically, the other day, a £2 coin fell into the centre vents on the dash of the M5, and I can't seem to get it out!! I have tried Blu Tak on a thin stick, and that didn't work, and then I tried to pull the inlay off and that seemed to be impossible!! The coin is now rattling around each time I go round a left or right corner as it slides around inside the vent! NOT GOOD!!!

Can anyone shed some light on how I am supposed to get the coin out from inside the vents?! Please help!!

Thanks in advance guys!
Jon,

The lateral trim strip will come off complete with the fascia vents.
There is a DIY for trim removal on here, but it's easy enough to do - the only tool you should need is either a wide bladed screwdriver or maybe a putty knife to lever the trim strip off - it's just held in by a few clips. If you have wood trim, be extra careful as the wood is very prone to chips on the edge as you lever it off (hence a putty knife rather than a screwdriver). In my experience, if the wood does chip, it happens where you can't see it when the trim is refitted.
As the trim is just released, reach behind and release the connectors on the hazard switch etc, and the whole thing will lift away, and you should be able to get a the errant £2.

Less than sensible suggestion:
Get on a good hill, car pointing uphill. Select 1st gear and floor it. The inertia of the £2 coin versus the acceleration of the M5 will have the coin embedded in the rear armrest

Mike
Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535xi Touched by TURNER
Model Year: 2009
Engine: n54

You need a VAC a piece of tubing say 1/2" or a lilttle smaller.... suck it up... then clean all the crevys out while your at it..