DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help with adding an AUX cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with adding an AUX cable

Hello,

I'm trying to add an aux cable to my car and was wondering if someone could help. I've done some research and have found a few things online but nothing on a car with Nav. I contact a local audio place and he wants to charge me $300 for the install. $180 for the part and 80 for the install. That seems like too much so i was wondering if someone could me with the install. I have done the coding part and already have the option on my I-drive. I would just like someone to point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

*********************EDIT*******************: Today I bought the cable straight from BMW ($80) and got to work. The BMW cable already comes with a pin socket casing since its suppose to be plug and play. But in my case I didn't have an empty slot in the plug behind my radio. So in order to keep my CD (single cd) and Nav working with the AUX, I had to remove the pins from the pin socket case on the AUX cable and re-pin the existing casing that was connected behind my radio/ccc.

The pins were:
- WS/BL cable to PIN 7 (white/blue)
- WS/RT cable to PIN 2 (white/red)
- WS/BR cable to PIN 8 (white/brown)

After programing, everything worked like a charm And to clear some confusion, Re-pinning the existing casing means you can keep your cd AND aux. I did notice that the sound quality is not as high as a cd but it doesn't bother me that much. After awhile I barely notice the difference.

Thank you to everyone that helped

Last edited by ldesouza; 01-16-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Fixed issue
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Members

my cars a 2006 525i with nav btw
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by ldesouza
my cars a 2006 525i with nav btw
The install is fairly easy from what I understand. I personally have not installed an aux (it came with an iPod connector), but have stripped my dash down to the same place you'll need to go.

There's a VERY helpful video you should check out in the main E60 forum under "the way E60 was meant to be". The video is on page 14 of the thread and is specifically for installing an aux, albeit a homemade version that the guy in the video sells.

Good luck. Post some pics if you succeed.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...127596/page14/
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

My dealer wants $200 installed with the iDrive upgrade.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

LOL, they want to charge you $180 for the part?!?!?!? I got my OEM AUX cable from getbmwparrts.com for $60 shipped. It has a 3.5mm jack at one end and the other end has some pins. These pins need to be put into the big square plug that plugs into the back of your CCC (NAV) unit, I don't recall the pin #'s but searching the DIY section or PM'ing members like AchtungE60 or NoQuarter might get you the answer you need for the pin placement.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by pjinca
LOL, they want to charge you $180 for the part?!?!?!?
I'm surprised they didn't try to screw him more on the labor
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Members

Thats why I came to you guys Ive seen a bunch of diy where the cables were $40-80 and I was shocked when he quoted me 180. He said since my car had nav and cd he would have to add another source of input of something. Didn't make sense to me either. Ive seen the video and it seems extremely easy. The only thing that is keeping me from opening up my dash, is that Im not 100% sure if it the same steps since my car had nav. Regardless, I want to try it this weekend. Is the cable from the dealer the best way to go? I heard theres some sort of resistor with bad quality sound.

Ill take pics of my process!

Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by ldesouza
Thats why I came to you guys Ive seen a bunch of diy where the cables were $40-80 and I was shocked when he quoted me 180. He said since my car had nav and cd he would have to add another source of input of something. Didn't make sense to me either. Ive seen the video and it seems extremely easy. The only thing that is keeping me from opening up my dash, is that Im not 100% sure if it the same steps since my car had nav. Regardless, I want to try it this weekend. Is the cable from the dealer the best way to go? I heard theres some sort of resistor with bad quality sound.

Ill take pics of my process!

Thanks guys.
If your car is pre-LCI (as mine is), I don't know about LCI cars. Yes, you have a choice, either have the CD changer or the AUX cable, you cannot have both. That said, I have NAV in my car, the cable still cost me $60. As I said, it's just a matter of putting the pins where they belong in the plug that goes into the back of your CCC unit, then the coding (which you say is done) and then plug in your iPod or cell phone and listen. It really isn't that complicated, if he says it's harder "because you have NAV" - hogwash
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
If your car is pre-LCI (as mine is), I don't know about LCI cars. Yes, you have a choice, either have the CD changer or the AUX cable, you cannot have both. That said, I have NAV in my car, the cable still cost me $60. As I said, it's just a matter of putting the pins where they belong in the plug that goes into the back of your CCC unit, then the coding (which you say is done) and then plug in your iPod or cell phone and listen. It really isn't that complicated, if he says it's harder "because you have NAV" - hogwash
So i guess thats what the guy at the audio place meant. My car is an 06 so it is pre-lci. He said he would have to add some new component in order to have cd AND aux. Which explains the $180 for the part. Kind of sucks that you have to make a choice between cd or aux...
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Members

I got the cable and was able to have aux and cd ive edited my first post to help anyone in the future.

Quick Reply: Help with adding an AUX cable