DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Guide to replace battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if there is a guide out there or if anyone has written a guide on how to replace the e60's battery. My 545i is popping up the battery icon in the mornings when I start it (canadian winter!) and since it's been 4 years I'm thinking of replacing the battery just incase.

Thanks! any help is appreciated!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Members

There's no guide in replacing the battery. If you are not comfortable in doing it yourself, then let the auto parts store do it for you. If you do it yourself, just make sure the positve cable goes on the pos. terminal. A nd the negative cable goes on the neg. terminal.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by lilchowwow' post='737923' date='Dec 4 2008, 02:57 PM
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if there is a guide out there or if anyone has written a guide on how to replace the e60's battery. My 545i is popping up the battery icon in the mornings when I start it (canadian winter!) and since it's been 4 years I'm thinking of replacing the battery just incase.

Thanks! any help is appreciated!

carefull when removing the explosive charge...wldnt want to blow up bimmer
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by rrnag30' post='737950' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:27 PM
carefull when removing the explosive charge...wldnt want to blow up bimmer
+1, if the dye on the indicator starts to turn red, run!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

i just replaced mine. i bought mine from a kragen for $89 right after my car wouldn't start (was a sluggish start for a month before).

i wish i took pictures, but here goes for a DIY battery replacement based off memory.

1. Remove the trunk carpet/plastic floor and lift the tray containing the spare.
2. Locate the battery by pulling the rear right corner panel inside of your trunk. There should be 1-2 plastic screws that hold the panel down.
3. Use i believe a 11-13mm socket wrench to unbolt the retainer bar (black) that holds down the battery.
4. Use a 10mm socket wrench to loosen the positive and negative terminal and pull them off the battery. Note that the positive plug has two connections. Only need to loosen the one that is connected to the battery (which is closest to the North edge)
5. Use a Phillips screw driver to loosen the long gray screw on the South side of the battery. This is clipping down the battery on the bottom.
6. Once loose enough, pull the battery straight out.

7. Replace battery and then make sure the metal clip is sitting on top of the edge of the battery case (at the bottom of the battery)
8. Tight screw so battery is held down from the bottom.
9. Attach plugs to Positive and Negative terminals and tighten the nuts.
10. Tighten the retaining bar back on and put the corner panel back.
11. Start your car and let it run for a couple of minutes and drive around the block.

Note: i was getting an "increased emission" message after doing this, but i let the car sit over night, and the message hasn't come back. Besides that, the car should start up fine.

good luck
Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='738051' date='Dec 4 2008, 06:01 PM
i just replaced mine. i bought mine from a kragen for $89 right after my car wouldn't start (was a sluggish start for a month before).

i wish i took pictures, but here goes for a DIY battery replacement based off memory.

1. Remove the trunk carpet/plastic floor and lift the tray containing the spare.
2. Locate the battery by pulling the rear right corner panel inside of your trunk. There should be 1-2 plastic screws that hold the panel down.
3. Use i believe a 11-13mm socket wrench to unbolt the retainer bar (black) that holds down the battery.
4. Use a 10mm socket wrench to loosen the positive and negative terminal and pull them off the battery. Note that the positive plug has two connections. Only need to loosen the one that is connected to the battery (which is closest to the North edge)
5. Use a Phillips screw driver to loosen the long gray screw on the South side of the battery. This is clipping down the battery on the bottom.

7. Replace battery and then make sure the metal clip is sitting on top of the edge of the battery case (at the bottom of the battery)
11. Start your car and let it run for a couple of minutes and drive around the block.

Note: i was getting an "increased emission" message after doing this, but i let the car sit over night, and the message hasn't come back. Besides that, the car should start up fine.

good luck
Thanks for the guide bud! I'll most likely do it myself as I'm guessing the stealership would charge me an arm and a leg for labour. Heres the question though.. I hear there is something regarding a vent tube? Aswell I'm thinking for going with a optima battery, does anyone have any experiences with them? Thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='738051' date='Dec 4 2008, 06:01 PM

good luck

the emmissions error was probably because you forgot about the gas tube that goes with the battery.................
Old 12-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by rrnag30' post='738110' date='Dec 4 2008, 04:28 PM
the emmissions error was probably because you forgot about the gas tube that goes with the battery.................
there was nothing connected to my original battery, and there was no tube on my new battery. i remember looking at that tube on the old battery, but there was nothing connected to it.

i'll take a closer look
Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='738616' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:53 AM
there was nothing connected to my original battery, and there was no tube on my new battery. i remember looking at that tube on the old battery, but there was nothing connected to it.

i'll take a closer look
Thanks! Let us know.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='738051' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:01 PM

good luck
Thanks for the info! My battery died yesterday. I purchased a Werker 95R from Batteries Plus today and installed it without any problems.

Quick Reply: Guide to replace battery?