DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. Thanks to all for the info. I just bought the H8 from Wal-Mart that Achtung suggested ($110). I have looked at it in the past and when I went to buy it, I notice they changed it from 765 CCA to 900 CCA.

Awesome! Since I have been busy at work, I just paid my local indy $50 to install it and register the battery. Everything is working great. I hope that this battery work for 8 years like the original!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-photo-26-.jpg   Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-photo-26-1.jpg  

Last edited by moyern83; 12-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 530i (6/04 built), M-tech kit installed, Prem pkg, Sports pkg, Logic 7 system, Aux input, 10.2 inch DVD player, auto rear shade with manual side shades, 6 speed auto, Oriental blue with Gray interior, and 35% window tints all over the car. 06 Yamaha FJR1300A 86 Kawasaki KZ100p
Default walmart Maxx H8 worked.

So I left my car in parking structure for few days and had a hard time starting yesterday.
Checked the battery after driving for an hour to home and it showed a green light. So I surfed the net and came across Walmart Maxx H8 battery. My local walmart had it, but they would not install it, because of software reset. Bummer for Bimmer. Found a local shop who would install the battery and reset the computer for $45. After 30 mins, my e60 has a new battery and reset all faults in the car. The car had over 20 battery related faults. Anyway I am satisfied with the battery and installation. So far I replaced the battery every 30000 miles. By the way, my local BMW dealer wanted $550 to replace and reprogram the battery. Huh no way I will pay $550 for their shitty battery.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530Xi -All wheel Drive: Black Sapphire Metallic: Premium-Package/ Cold Weather Package- w Navigation - Adaptive Xenon Headlights/ 19' Miro CSL's w Exclaim UHP Tires- AFE Cold Air Intake AC Schnitzer Rear spoiler and Front lip/ Carbon fiber kidne
Model Year: 2006
Default DIY Batt register "error ecu conditions not correct or request sequence error" ?

Hello: I replaced my battery on my 2006 530xi with the exact specs(duralast gold DLG) as oem so I only needed to register the new battery. So I follow the directions on this forum

Register the battery. Use Toolset 32 (under EDIABAS folder):
Load SGBD, Group file: MSD80.prg ( used msv70.prg here coz it's the only one I see)
Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri. (near bottom of job list)
Go to Jobs menu
Select Run Job

But when I double click or hit F5 i get an error message saying "error ecu conditions not correct or request sequence error"....what does that mean???

Help! Thanks-
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007, 530i, DTC

As said earlier, great work by the OP. I thought I'd add a few things that I haven't seen in the battery threads. I did go ahead and get the 95R-DLG from Autozone as my replacement battery.

I have a picture of my original, 850 CCA, 205 RC, 110 Ah battery. A comparison picture of the OEM and Duralast battery. A picture of the installed Duralast.

I have a picture of the three battery hold-down positions; this isn't shown in the Bentley manual from what I could find. Unfortunately, I didn't measure them as I was trying to work quickly, but they look like they would accommodate the three battery lengths I found in the parts stores.

And finally, I thought I'd throw in a picture of the vent position.

Also, because the RC of the Duralast is 110 rather than 205, you still need to code using NCS Expert to change the Ah rating. Using the conversion from RC to Ah of Ah = (RC/2) +16 or RC*0.6, I got an Ah rating for the Duralast of 71. It's probably going to be somewhat lower, but 70 ah is probably the closest profile since the next lowest one is 55 ah.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-old-battery.jpg   Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-comp1.jpg   Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-new-battery.jpg   Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-tiedown.jpg   Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-vent.jpg  

Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, cold weather, night vision, nav, bluetooth

Just a follow up. I just bought the Duralast 95R battery from Autozone it was $175 - it is an absolute exact match and even says 'made in Germany' right on it. Changed it out and all is good - do not plan to 'register' the battery as see no compelling need to part with money to do so.

As an aside - they did pull the wrong battery (a T8 size) at first, but thanks to NEOE60's work I was able to point us to the right battery, which was a remarkably perfect match...

Much thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Members

Just wanted to add my cudos to this thread. Battery was going: car was surging, getting adaptive drive errors, running like Sh1t in general. finally battery died, so went to replace it. They sold me the 94R DLG as the correct battery, but that is a much smaller (physically) battery. The correct one is 95R DLG!! Battery has a 3 year complete replacement warranty (so I'm not registering it)(I paid the stealership to do that once- battery only lasted 5 years, so why not save the extra $400 and have it "maybe" only last 3 years-- but that's a whole different debate)
In any case, it seems so far to have fixed all the crappy running. We'll see...
Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi 2006

OP YOU ARE MY HERO.
I would give you a high five if I could. I got the Duralast Gold/Battery 95R-DLG (For my 2006 530xi) exact size and everything. Now I need to get my battery registered, I found an app "BMWhat app". I was skeptical at first after reading through all tons of posts it seems like this is the real deal.

this post sold me on the reliability of the app The Official BMWhat App Thread - from iViNi-apps - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

link to app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...whatFull&hl=en

purchase cord and usb adapter on amazon.

Battery $197
App $ 60
Cords $ 43
Total $300

Why pay $60 for the app you say? reads all fault codes, explanations, easy to use coding, etc etc.

Will be receiving cords tomorrow and will attempt. will update tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 5 SERIES

On autozone's website it says the battery is BCI Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 950
Cranking Amps (CA): 1000

It's higher than what OP said now. Would it still be ok?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Yes. You would need to provide that information when you register the battery. That's why you need to register.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i
Model Year: 2008
Engine: E60

Thanks for all the information - neoe60

Quick Reply: Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery