DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery

Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a ton of time researching this and finally found an EXACT SIZE AND CCA RATING replacement for our OEM batteries! Here's a link to my previous research:

http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1385937
Originally Posted by neoe60
I'm still researching this myself, I'll share what I've found.

The OEM battery is made by Exide. However, if you go to their website and try to find the right battery for our cars, it spits out a completely different models with different specs (lower specs in fact):

http://www.showmethe...com/n2ebattery/

Here's the OEM for 2006 530xi (it's the same for 2008 535xi):

http://forums.5serie...ttach_id=161705

Your best bet is to buy local, cuz s/h on a battery is gonna be $, but you never know. If you search hard enough, there might still be better deals online.

So far, I've found these choices:
And these guys which sell Exide wholesale, but I don't know how much their s/h is:
Originally Posted by neoe60
http://www.batterysales.com/exide.cfm
Model | BCI | CCA | CA | RC | L | W | H | Lbs | Price
49-60 | 49 | 850 | 1000 | 120 | 14 | 6.88 | 7.44 | 32 | $133.99
78DT-60 | P34/78 DT | 850 | 1000 | 120 | 10.69 | 7.06 | 8.13 | 40 | $113.99
65-60P | 65 | 850 | 1000 | 160 | 11.56 | 7.44 | 7.56 | 46 | $114.99

Not sure which of those fits our cars exactly?

As you can see, lots of choices, I'm still trying to figure out the best one to get. Feel free to chime in

The biggest problem was that some of these websites kept recommending battery sizes that looked nothing like the OEM battery. So, I just went to each store and asked what batteries they had on hand and asked for the ones w/the same CCA rating as our OEM battery. Then, I measured all of them to compare the sizes. I know this is a lot of work but I finally found one that FITS EXACTLY and has the SAME EXACT CCA RATING as the OEM battery. Not only that, the gas vent tube IS IN THE SAME EXACT PLACEMENT as the OEM battery! I was so glad to finally find this thing!

Here's the battery, AutoZone sells it for $166.99. IGNORE the AutoZone battery finder thing, it's COMPLETELY WRONG and spits out the wrong battery.

BTW, if you sign up for Ebates, you can also save another 4%. If you're new to Ebates and don't mind signing up thru my ref link, you can also get a $10 Target or Home Depot card:

Ebates 4% off

I hope this is cool, if not, then no worries, just buy it direct from AutoZone!

Duralast Gold/Battery 95R-DLG
Features & Benefits

Duralast Gold is engineered to deliver the maximum Cold Cranking Amps and Reserve Capacity ratings to meet or exceed your vehicle s original specifications. Even in extreme conditions, Duralast Gold is designed to give you the starting power you need, combined with robust construction for dependability and long life. Install it with confidence!
  • Maximum number of plates and grids to deliver the most power during start up
    • Specially designed paste to improve performance
      • Impact resistant polypropylene construction to reduce damage due to vibration
        • Best-in-Class vent caps for safe operation
          • 3-Year free replacement warranty

Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery-download.jpg

Part Number: 95R-DLG
Weight: 63.9 lbs
Warranty: 8 YR
Application: Automobile
Voltage: 12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 850
Reserve Capacity (Min): 110
Battery Length: 394 mm - 15 9/16 in
Battery Width: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in
Battery Height: 190 mm - 7 1/2 in
Post Location: Top Post
Right Or Left Hand Positive: Right
Core Charge Applicable: Yes

This battery is an EXACT physical and CCA rating replacement for BMW part numbers:
It has the same OEM CCA rating of 850 and Reserve Capacity rating of 110.
It should fit for all 5 Series 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and maybe even 2009 and 2010. I don't know about the 3 Series.

The guy installed it for me at the store and took the old one off my hands. I got the AWD steering error, so I put the key fob in and turned the engine on. Then, I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right and the error message went away.

I don't know if we'll have to program the new battery into the computer. That's A WHOLE OTHER debate! Personally, I'm going to buy an OBDII cable and learn to program it myself. I've seen links to the software in here:

BMW Coding Forum

Good luck and cheers!

Last edited by neoe60; 09-28-2020 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brookster (09-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

autozone also now sells a platinum battery which is their version of the optima (no battery acid inside, like gel cells) in group size 95r. not all autozone sells them yet tho, so much have to ask which local one does.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
autozone also now sells a platinum battery which is their version of the optima (no battery acid inside, like gel cells) in group size 95r. not all autozone sells them yet tho, so much have to ask which local one does.
What's going to be the difference between battery acid and gel cell models? They actually had the gel cell models at my location for about $10-15 more but the warranty was only 3 years, vs 3yr replacement/8year trade in for the standard acid one.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's going to be the difference between battery acid and gel cell models?
Flooded lead-acid (FLA) batteries, gel batteries, and AGM batteries are all lead-acid (Planke) batteries. The electrolyte in an FLA battery is sulfuric acid diluted in water and is in a liquid state. These batteries can typically be "topped off" with distilled water if electrolyte level drops.

Gel and AGM batteries are members of the valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery family. The electrolyte in a gel battery is suspended in gel, and it's suspended in absorbed glass mats (AGM's) in an AGM battery. These batteries are typically "maintenance free", and can't be topped off.

Each type has its pro's and con's. VRLA batteries are "sealed" and usually can't spill, so they're easier and safer to handle. Some boaters even install 'em sideways in out-of-the-way locations but still allow for access to the terminals. They're popular in deep-cycle applications, and, when properly charged, they typically don't off-gas or require ventilation. However, they can be sensitive, and, if incorrectly maintained, their life expectancy drops dramatically.

But, pound for pound, FLA batteries still deliver the most bang for the buck.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

Excellent research! Hats off to you thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

We've discussed this so many times. The EverMaxx 94R that walmart carries is going to run you $70 or so and is a better battery than original OEM. Come on, it's Johnson Controls, made in same factory plant and has 3 yr replacement warranty. Riding on them for a decade so I have to stand by them especially since no problems.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
We've discussed this so many times. The EverMaxx 94R that walmart carries is going to run you $70 or so and is a better battery than original OEM. Come on, it's Johnson Controls, made in same factory plant and has 3 yr replacement warranty. Riding on them for a decade so I have to stand by them especially since no problems.
I saw that post on: http://www.bimmerfes...ad.php?t=480901

But the CCA rating is lower than OEM. It's only 765 CCA, the OEM and this DuraLast are both 850 CCA.

And the white model only has 730 CCA:

I don't know how much difference that will make in real life though. I think the car only needs 475-525 CCA to crank.

I don't know what the reserve capacity ratings on the Ever Maxx black and white models are, but I'm sure they're lower than OEM spec. Not sure if that'll make any difference either, however, since we have pretty FREEZING, long and cold winters here, I'd rather be on the safe side.

I'll concede that it's a HUGE savings over the DuraLast, but for those who want EXACT OEM equivalent, it's still a better deal than from the stealership.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by crewzer
Flooded lead-acid (FLA) batteries, gel batteries, and AGM batteries are all lead-acid (Planke) batteries. The electrolyte in an FLA battery is sulfuric acid diluted in water and is in a liquid state. These batteries can typically be "topped off" with distilled water if electrolyte level drops.

Gel and AGM batteries are members of the valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) battery family. The electrolyte in a gel battery is suspended in gel, and it's suspended in absorbed glass mats (AGM's) in an AGM battery. These batteries are typically "maintenance free", and can't be topped off.

Each type has its pro's and con's. VRLA batteries are "sealed" and usually can't spill, so they're easier and safer to handle. Some boaters even install 'em sideways in out-of-the-way locations but still allow for access to the terminals. They're popular in deep-cycle applications, and, when properly charged, they typically don't off-gas or require ventilation. However, they can be sensitive, and, if incorrectly maintained, their life expectancy drops dramatically.

But, pound for pound, FLA batteries still deliver the most bang for the buck.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Awesome info, thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
New Members

Thanks neoe60 for the great research! You are absolutely right about the battery size. I have spent nearly 10 hours researching this as well. And when I called the different battery shops for a replacement, everyone kept telling me I need a group 48 battery. But a group 48 battery measures 12-1/16" long x 6-7/8" wide x 7-9/16" tall. So I pulled the battery and measured it too and based on my measurements, which are the same as yours, the battery really should be a group 95R. See BCI Battery Group Size Chart. This also matches with the name of the Duralast batter that you used, Duralast Gold 95R-DLG.

I don't know why all the battery shops (Sears, Interstate, Les Schwab, even Autozone) think the batter should be a group 48 based on the model number and year of the vehicle. I don't think you can even get a group 48 with a CCA of 850. The highest I could find was 770. Of course the battery shops all told me that 685, 700 or 770 CCA is way over what the car needs for cranking amps so their recommended battery should be just fine. But it bothers me that it is not what the OEM battery is. And I shutter to think what modifications they would make to secure the battery in the car. The battery has a cleat on each end at the base. The font cleat slides into a holder at the front of the battery well and the back one is secured by a clamp (parts 5 & 6 in this diagram Battery Holder & Mounting Parts) So the length is important. Also the vent tube may have to be extended depending on how a shorter battery is put in.

Another point about the 95R battery, is that it has the positive post on the right (when looking at the side with the posts). I think this is a reverse polarity battery and perhaps that is what the R is 95R designates? One guy I talked to wanted to put in a group 93 which has the positive post on the left. He said he could just stretch the cables over so that they attached to the correct posts. But I am quite sure that the cables won't stretch over, and I really don't think that is a good idea.

So I guess my recommendation is to find a group 95R with a CCA of 850. The Duralast should be a good one and it has a great warranty. BTW this article Choosing A Car Battery - Guide says that the following manufactures make the following brands:
Delphi - AC Delco and some EverStart;
Exide - Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart; and
Johnson Controls Industries - Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStart.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Members

The EverStart Maxx 49 at Walmart has 930 cranking amps / 850 cold cranking amps. That's what I have in my car and it is great. As as far as the the physical size, it is just as tall, just as wide, but slightly shorter (maybe an inch). It was also only like $75.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery