DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

e60 Sub and amp install

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the exact same thing... and just opened the ski pass as well.. but the base is powerless (I had this same system in my previous car, so, I am aware of the bass)... this makes me wonder, if I didnt connect it properly ...
I basically used the following config

Left + Black/Red
Left - Black/Violet
Right + Black/White
Right - Black/Brown
On/Off White/Violet

However, actually tapped into only one side (not sure if it was left or right.. it shouldnt make a diff.. right??)
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
you can tell that he tapped into the line levels going into the factory amp to convert it into low level (RCA) output so that usually means that he's going to feed another amp. So I would assume he does have another amp.
Thats what I would imagine as well.. just was surprised he didnt mention it
Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by umermariner
I did the exact same thing... and just opened the ski pass as well.. but the base is powerless (I had this same system in my previous car, so, I am aware of the bass)... this makes me wonder, if I didnt connect it properly ...
I basically used the following config

Left + Black/Red
Left - Black/Violet
Right + Black/White
Right - Black/Brown
On/Off White/Violet

However, actually tapped into only one side (not sure if it was left or right.. it shouldnt make a diff.. right??)
Thanks.

Are you using RCA or the "high level" input on your amp? It has to be how you hooked it up. I had my amp running from the "high level" input on the amp tapped directly into the wires on existing amp. I remember that if I had attached certain wires or the GND for the high level it didn't work properly.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Are you using RCA or the "high level" input on your amp? It has to be how you hooked it up. I had my amp running from the "high level" input on the amp tapped directly into the wires on existing amp. I remember that if I had attached certain wires or the GND for the high level it didn't work properly.
I used
Left + Black/Red
Left - Black/Violet
Right + Black/White
Right - Black/Brown
On/Off White/Violet
(like I said, not sure if it was right or left, basically one side).
I have attached the pictures that I took. I am pretty sure, I didnt connect something right.. it was way more powerful ... you can see my amp in a picture, its pretty good (sub can be upgraded).

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails e60 Sub and amp install-imag0401.jpg   e60 Sub and amp install-imag0400.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Members

Oh... I have a theory now .. I think the box I have with the sub is line level converter, and I hooked it up even though I am taking input before factory amp... (not sure why they had it in E46 then, coz it also had a factory amp). I just read rictor attached doc...

Please advise... I dont want to burn out something ... if thats the case, I will take it out

Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Members

Just did some homework, especially on the adapter that I have in the middle of my connections to factory amp, and new amp. It seems like it is a signal reducer (picture attached). Also, tellies with the theory I mentioned earlier.

Is it better to take this signal reducer out, or connect to factory system after the amp?

An answer confirming/ rejecting my theory would be nice, and would give me enough confidence to take it apart tom and play with it .

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails e60 Sub and amp install-417e7nfxgvl._ss400_.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

probably should start your own thread
Old 11-22-2012, 04:04 AM
New Members

hello everyone, i really need help on how to find the actual wires to connect an after market amp, my car is a e60 2004 model with no factory amp or subs. im pretty sure it is the standard sound system with just 4 speakers. can anyone help please
Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 530i JNT
hello everyone, i really need help on how to find the actual wires to connect an after market amp, my car is a e60 2004 model with no factory amp or subs. im pretty sure it is the standard sound system with just 4 speakers. can anyone help please
I think you will still have an amp... see on the left side behind the carpet, when you open the trunk.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

I need help!!!
I was all ready to hook up my amp but my wiring is different than all the pictures I've seen.
Here's my amp:
Name:  amp1.jpg
Views: 15793
Size:  73.3 KB

And here's my wirng:
Name:  plug1.jpg
Views: 19623
Size:  85.5 KB

Can somebody help me please?

Thanks guys

Last edited by 1970Gizmo; 07-04-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: e60 Sub and amp install