DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 M-Style Replica Rear Spoiler Installation (Pics and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roy7
So I resurrected the thread and no one answered my question?? C'mon guys. My beautiful black car is sitting in my driveway w/neon green painters tape holding the spoiler down.
I saw somewhere someone removed the tape the next day and it s fine for him. I am going to do it this weekend I will probably remove the tapes the next day as well (but 24hr is a reasonable assumption).
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Roy7
I have mine taped on now. How long did you guys leave the tape (masking tape) on the spoiler when you held it down??
The first time, I only had the tape on there a couple hours

I removed it once to reseat it to make it perfectly symmetrical, and it was so amazingly hard to get off. It took about an hour with some 3M adhesive remover, some floss, and a plastic card.

I taped it down again for about the same amount of time on remount.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi led ae's, magnaflow exhaust, k&n filter, carbon filter delete, 19" BBS LM-R. Sprint booster, black tails, euro fresh headlight decals.

im glad i found this, i have been putting off my order to the same seller. i have asked them a few questions with prompt reply. looks like u guys are going to make me pull the trigger!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by wtlb
Who is this in reference to? I know the difference. I've been to both countries.
sorry was in reference to the OP. I didn't see the date this was posted. Had korea in title and had taiwan parts lol
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi led ae's, magnaflow exhaust, k&n filter, carbon filter delete, 19" BBS LM-R. Sprint booster, black tails, euro fresh headlight decals.

hey guys, i was wondering if any of you have purchased the AC stule from this seller, if so can you tell me about fitment, and maybe throw up a pic? thanks! sorry OP, not trying to jack your thread, but trying to keep it clean and not add any clutter.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM
New Members

Default The tape makes a difference!

Originally Posted by cpo
On an impulse buy at the auto parts store, I picked up a roll of 3M double sided tape. My thought is this: While the tape that came pre-installed on the spoiler is red and 3M-like, I have speculation that it is not really 3M tape. That gives room for a potentially inferior product. I come to this realization after noticing that 3M tape has the label "3M" printed on the red backing. The product that came pre-installed on the spoiler does not say "3M'. Unless someone has information that suggests what came with my spoiler is in fact some version of unbranded 3M tape, I figure it's safest to just remove that and put what I know to be the real deal on there. I figure it adds a little time to my project, but not much. I would rather spend a little up front time rather than find my spoiler coming off because of some no-name tape. Does anyone else have any experience with this situation? I haven't pulled the original tape off yet...but I'll probably work on it this week. Here is the tape I bought today:: Super Strength Molding Tape #03614

Attachment 131407

Thanks!

EDIT:

After a little further poking around, I believe that what is pre-installed on my spoiler *is* 3M tape...but I think it is the Scotch version -- "Exterior Mounting Tape" instead of the Super Strength Molding Tape. The Exterior Mounting Tape only has a 5lb holding capacity...and i believe would be not sufficient for spoiler attachment. Maybe I am wrong. It does have the red backing, but doesn't have 3M written on it.

Attachment 131409

CPO, I've done some digging and think there's actually better tape to be used for this application. My research has found that you'd really want 3M VHB (Very High Bond) like #4941 or 5952, as others might not hold. ps...its not cheap!!! Recommend buying it by the foot if you can!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
I purchased the ACS replica spoiler from the ebay seller mentioned above. They actually painted the spoiler in A07 (Mystic Blue) for me at the same cost of $92 shipped. On the seller's link, only the metallic black is shown, but I reached out to the seller and requested it to be painted in A07, which he agreed. The paint matches well and the fitment is good, but not perfect, which was not expected. Can't beat $92 painted/shipped. Further, the package only took 12 days to be delivered from Taiwan.

I used the super strong 3M molding tape and the 'blue masking tape -used for interior painting' purchased from home depot to hold it down for 2 days. There is a small gap in the corners but I don't think the spoiler would fall off.

All in all, I am very happy with it. Pardon the poor quality phone camera.

Leese, I also bought mine from bmwchop and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of paint, fast shipping, and fitment! This is my 3rd attempt at buying a knock off AC Schnitzer spoiler,and this is the best, by far! The 2nd wasn't great, but thought it might be good if i fit it right...well turns out the tape never held up and fell off in 2 weeks!! Yes, I believe i did it right! I'm mechanically inclined, and very handy; but it still fell off. Of course it was when my friend was driving it and he said he was going over 100 at one point, so i'm sure thats what happened! Anyway, just wondering if your spoiler is still sticking and hasn't fallen off yet?! If so, I might just bolt my new one down.regardless....it was under 100 bucks..not bad! Beats paying $700 for the real one! BMWChop is the way to go!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM
New Members

Does this type of boot spoiler fit on an LCI ??
Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2005

Thanks for all the pics guys, this was great and was pretty easy.