DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

KyleB,

I have a Craftsman multi-meter that can measure temperatures, can I apply such a tool for this transmission service? How the heck do I use it??? Do I touch the tool leads (black and red) together and touch the pan concurrently??? I really don't want to mess up my perfectly working transmission, because I know it will be expensive and time consuming to replace! lol

Thanks!

Originally Posted by KyleB
guys, measure your trans temps when doing this, and not changing out filters per ZFs recommendations is not a good idea IMO. Just because you can't 'see' contaminants in there, doesn't mean they aren't there. Replacing the pan in this car is so easy, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do it. Why risk failure on a $5000 transmission? Transmissions (and engines for that matter) function best with fresh, clean, contaminate free fluids. This is why you should change your filter regularly. ZF knows more about this transmission than all of us here combined, and they deemed a filter necessary.

Anyone who has done this and properly measured trans temps will tell you that you go from proper filling temperature to 'too hot' very, VERY quickly. Transmission internals and fluids expand under heat. By prescribing a specific temperature for the filling period, ZF is ensuring that all of us are getting the proper amount of fluid in, whether you are doing this in an Alaskan winter or the heat of an Arizona summer. If you are doing this by feel, you run the risk of overfilling or underfilling your gearbox, either of which can result in catastrophic gearbox failure.

I hate to threadjack, but there is the correct, ZF outlined way of doing this and then there is everything else. A new transmission is around $5000.

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...thread-137584/
Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by E60I
KyleB,

I have a Craftsman multi-meter that can measure temperatures, can I apply such a tool for this transmission service? How the heck do I use it??? Do I touch the tool leads (black and red) together and touch the pan concurrently??? I really don't want to mess up my perfectly working transmission, because I know it will be expensive and time consuming to replace! lol

Thanks!
I'd probably pick up some sort of infrared temp gun if you don't have access to INPA or a similar software package. They're a lot cheaper than they used to be (Harbor Freight has them). I'd trust something like that more than a hand held multi-meter. Not wanting to mess up a perfectly working transmission is definitely the right frame of mind!

If in the end you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, it might be worth it to pay someone. This is a very complex and exspensive transmission, now is definitely not the time to take unnecessary risks or cut corners

best of luck with the car.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

I can fix anything if I have enough energy, dedication, time and money. At the moment, all of the above are limited and in question. j/k ;-)

Originally Posted by KyleB
I'd probably pick up some sort of infrared temp gun if you don't have access to INPA or a similar software package. They're a lot cheaper than they used to be (Harbor Freight has them). I'd trust something like that more than a hand held multi-meter. Not wanting to mess up a perfectly working transmission is definitely the right frame of mind!

If in the end you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, it might be worth it to pay someone. This is a very complex and exspensive transmission, now is definitely not the time to take unnecessary risks or cut corners

best of luck with the car.

Last edited by E60I; 08-28-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM
New Members

Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

KyleB
No threadjacking. Every opinion is important.

I intentionally used a new, light colored pan into which I drained the 1st time. I wanted to see if there were any contaminants. None, and the two inner magnets had a very, very light gray metallic coating. It was less than shown on the BavAuto video.

The filter showed no contaminants when I opened it.

I just feel that it's OK if one wants to change out the filter assembly. It is ONLY my opinion that since no visible contaminants were present I am not sure it is necessary.

As to temperature, I watched the BavAuto and the ECSTuning videos, and I read a few docs concerning the procedure.

ZF says temp must be between 30 - 35C (86-95 farenheiht). I am comfortable I was in that range.

Maybe next time I'll buy and use a digital gauge, but I still think I am close.

I even wait a minute or two after the fill with fill plug off to make sure temp was right, the overflow output was accurate, and any air is out.

I can say the fluid is vastly different now than it was, and the tranny is operating very well.

E60I,

I use my wood ramps for rear wheels and small jack stands for the front two positions. Everything is done while vehicle is above ground.

The 1st time the car was cold. I did not want to fight cats and hot parts. After pan replacement and 1st fill I let the car run for a while to get warm before the final fill.

2nd fill the car was warm, and I let it run a bit after the 1st fill to allow the fluid to warm. It was then I started feeling the pan to get the oil temp.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
New Members

Tranny continues to shift beautifully and smoothly.

Surprisingly a noticeable fuel mileage increase!

I am certain from clean fast shifts.

The fluid change is a definite needed improvement
Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

good to hear. So much for BMWs 'lifetime fill' theory....
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM
New Members

It is quite a nice difference.

I'll put 400-500 miles on this fluid, drain it, use my hand pump to empty the residue collected in the pan,
calculate how much came out for reference, and then fill it again.

The Motorcraft Mercon SP is relatively cheap.

So frequent flushes will clean the system.

Had to do the same with the Ferrari transmission. Three flushes before it was clean!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM
New Members

I drained and refilled my P/S system today, and in so doing learned how to remove the pressure fittings on the systems.

Removing the one at the radiator cooler location drained the system completely.

My next tranny drain and refill I am removing the cooler fillting at the tranny cooler and will let the lines drain out all that dirty fluid.

Maybe for one I will get a nearly 100% drain.

Will advise when I get to it in 2 weeks (waiting to put a few more miles on current fill)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 PM
New Members

So I have all the metric dies and taps I need for the plug and we have started machining the first few drain plug samples.

More to come

It will be liked by all.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

^sweet.

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill