DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530iA E60

Hi,

Here is a picture of my steptronic gear shift which has original M5 gear knob and slightly modified surrounding plate and leather cover. Lights are still missing, but it is under constructions. All gear shift positions (P, R, N, D and DS) are working perfectly. Buttons doesn?t have any functions yet, since my car is 530i, not an M5 What do you guys think of my mod?

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic-img_0672.jpg

Best regards,
- THe -
Old 09-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

With the chance of being your partypooper i really don't like it. Why? Because it's just out of place if you ask me. The short gearlever of the smgIII suits perfect such a switch knob, and the buttons...well...besides the fact that they are no functional and probably will never be...it just tries to much. It tries to copy the SMGIII. All the mods that get an ordinary 5 series too close to the m5 is a no no if you ask me. Why spend all that money on them (not you, in general) when you can have with a bit more fuss the real thing?!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by T_He' post='338086' date='Sep 25 2006, 12:05 AM
Hi,

Here is a picture of my steptronic gear shift which has original M5 gear knob and slightly modified surrounding plate and leather cover. Lights are still missing, but it is under constructions. All gear shift positions (P, R, N, D and DS) are working perfectly. Buttons doesn?t have any functions yet, since my car is 530i, not an M5 What do you guys think of my mod?

Attachment 24155

Best regards,
- THe -
It looks great!! So what did you do to the surrouding plate to make the shifter work? I was thinking about the shift knob, but think it is kind of out of place with the steptronics surrounding plate.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

Looks great! You can make it perfect with the M5 Idrive Knob. That matches the smg plate colour. Go for it.
And don?t forget the lightning for the shifter.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Harry' post='338714' date='Sep 26 2006, 03:58 PM
Looks great! You can make it perfect with the M5 Idrive Knob. That matches the smg plate colour. Go for it.
And don?t forget the lightning for the shifter.
Thanks. Do you have picture of M5 Idrive knob since I thought that it is exactly same as in my car or at least in same color.

Br,
- Tommi
Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mic325' post='338687' date='Sep 26 2006, 02:11 PM
It looks great!! So what did you do to the surrouding plate to make the shifter work? I was thinking about the shift knob, but think it is kind of out of place with the steptronics surrounding plate.
Hi,

I agree that it looks out of place without surrounding plate, but with it has much more fancy look. That?s why I thought go for this mod. My intension is not to have M5 copy of the car, but I really like to look of SMG shifter.

Here is short step by step instruction, if you wanna go for this mod:

1.) Cut original surrounidng plate as in the following picture marked with red.

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic-pianoblack_champagne_red.jpg

2.) Remove plastic as marked blue in the picture. After that you should have three pieces of plastic; original cover, button and center piece. now cut the center piece in two parts.

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic-pianoblack_champagne_blue.jpg

3.) Weld pieces together as shown in the picture

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic-img_0586_pieni.jpg

4.) Fill weldings with plastic packel and grind with water sandpapers starting from 600 all the way to 1200.

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic-img_0583_pieni.jpg

5.) Paint with gray primer, paint with silver and finally paint semi gloss lack all over the surrounding cover.

6.) Take M5 knob and cut the plastic frame away from it and cut leather to smaller. Cut circle plastic frame into two pieces and weld some plastic to extend it to ellipse.

7.) Take original steptronic leather cover and cut it half. Cut unnessary leather away until it fits tigtly to ellipse plastic frame and after that sew up leather pieces. Finally glue the new leather to plastic frame.

8.) Install it to your car...

DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic-img_0680_pieni.jpg

9.) Create new wiring harness for the lights in the knob. This is what I?m working on at the moment.

Br,
- Tommi
Old 09-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only one word to say to you "Super"!
You're such a handy man.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Sky
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='338805' date='Sep 27 2006, 12:41 AM
I have only one word to say to you "Super"!
You're such a handy man.

Using my Nokie phone camara
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

Hi,

and for the buttons....

If I had 4 free buttons there I would:
  • Put the iDrive Video Interface Switch on one (switch between external Video and iDrive) to not need to use a remote control.
  • if no BMW BT Phone is installed put the accept/reject button of an after market BT Phone unit there
regs
Volkmar
Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good idea, but we need to find out which wire of the interface to use to switch the screen

Quick Reply: DIY: M5 gear knob and surrounding plate for steptronic