DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY LCI taillight retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don?t think this has been done on this forum so here goes: -

To start off this is one of the easiest DIY?s I?ve done and thanks to Bruce Miranda for the cables.

Parts required:-
LCI taillights
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02162.jpg

Bruce Miranda?s Adapter cables
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02164.jpg

and double sided tape or tie straps

Tools used, mini ratchet with 8mm socket with extension, flat head screwdriver and a brick (For the Brake pedal, I was on my own).

Instructions:-

Remove the trunk floor carpet

Remove all 4 black clips whick hold the truck trim with screwdriver (Rotate 90 degrees the pull out).
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02150.jpg

Remove trunk trim panels as in the picture
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02152.jpg

Each taillight is fixed with 4 x 8mm nuts (1 is a locking nut) remove these. Unplug the taillights and remove the units. (Remember take note of the gap around the lights before you remove)
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02158.jpg

Insert the new units and loosely fit all the nuts, align the taillights and tighten the standard nuts first. Use the locking nut for the final alignment.

Plug in Bruce?s adaptor cables and fix them with double sided tape as in the pictures (I also used tie straps but are not pictured).
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02184.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02189.jpg

Check that the lights are working correctly then finally build all the truck trims back up and lay the carpet.

It's as easy as that!

Enjoy Before and after pics: -
Before:-
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02138.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02146.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02149.jpg

After:-
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02174.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02175.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02176.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02177.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02180.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02183.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02191.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02194.jpg
DIY LCI taillight retrofit-dsc02195.jpg
Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Members

Very good mate, looking very nice. How much did the lights cost you and were did you get them ? I notice you have changed you bumper to
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

Yes thought somebody might notice . Bought one off ebay for ?19+postage ebay and bought the other from dealers, managed to get 15% discount and payed ?158 for the other.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Members

What a bargain OMG how cheap was that light on fleebay ?? as soon as i can get myself some lights i will then order my cables from Bruce.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Members

Very nice!

Are you turn lights yellow? They look yellow in the pic.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

Yes the turnlights are yellow, UK spec
Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Make me so tempting mate!! Has been thinking to get this for ages but the cost of the kit has putting me off.
(No offence in here bruce, i know you've spent loads of time and money to get this thing work, and its a great kit!)

I'll be interested if there is a group buy for the retrofit kit. Anyone interested?

And thanks for the write up Dav!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by keith84_uk' post='539096' date='Mar 3 2008, 02:03 PM
Make me so tempting mate!! Has been thinking to get this for ages but the cost of the kit has putting me off.
(No offence in here bruce, i know you've spent loads of time and money to get this thing work, and its a great kit!)

I'll be interested if there is a group buy for the retrofit kit. Anyone interested?

And thanks for the write up Dav!!!!
+1

Count me in as interested for a group buy. I think it's a great cable set Bruce but a too much moolah up front for my taste.....
Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

BTW -- Rover Active is selling the LCI lights on eBay for 599 USD with a retrofit kit that says wil work without error messages. Does anyone know about this offer/tried it? Bruce, is this your kit he is selling?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='539770' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:24 AM
BTW -- Rover Active is selling the LCI lights on eBay for 599 USD with a retrofit kit that says wil work without error messages. Does anyone know about this offer/tried it? Bruce, is this your kit he is selling?
Nope that is not my kit that he is selling. However its my diagram that I posted on this forum in another thread that he is providing! So what you get are your lights and a piece of paper that tells you how to connect up your lights. But even with that you don't get the LCI look and you will get the strobing and iDrive errors.
Also as mentioned I can get people a discount for exactly those lights from RoverActive if you get my cables. I don't think I can offer a discount on the cables themselves. It's simply not worth it for me because its far too much work at the moment and I just do this in my spare time. With a 4 month old baby and a full time job there's hardly any of that to be found

Just wait, someone is bound to copy my kit soon and manufacture this at less than half the price.

Quick Reply: DIY LCI taillight retrofit