DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Electric sunblind retrofit Pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by cristivw
Whoa! This retrofit killed me for the past year. Seems I couldn't get this module's pinout right, because I had the "standard" one instead. Got the module from scrapyard, but the connector is different from the standard one.
Any help with the pinnout for this little bugger? Pin numbers & colours, please?
Any help with the pinnout, please?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i
Default Help...

Originally Posted by ViperRunner
Just to update that it's everything working now, it was as i said before.. i had one of the plugs missing! In your pictures i can now see the missing plug and i didn't find it on mine so i made the error of thinking that the pins you refered where the existent one's.

Your DIY is perfect.. the error was mine.. will post only the pic i took to help me, that in the end was as good as the one you already had here and the complete diagram.

To whoever is reading this and is planning to do the retrofit. You need to have the plug in the red rectangle. If you only have the plugs in the blue rectangle then you're out of luck and you will have to arrange for one center console that also has the other plug.

Best regards and thanks everyone!
Sorry folks, digging this thread from the past! Thanks for the write up 545iMike!

Hi ViperRunner, I am in the process of completing this retrofit and just like you, I don't have the third plug (the plug in the red rectangle) on my current SZM module. How did you go about sourcing the replacement module - did you look for anything specific - (apart form the buttons and the plug, of course)? Did you have to source power to go into this module's plug and if so, from where did you tap into this? Did you have to code anything?

Any input would be much appreciated!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw e60 528i 2010

Originally Posted by buddy
I did mine last year, I brought the complete alcantara interior from a salvaged m5 installed all the pieces , ie pillars front middle and rear , mirrors, headliner and parcel shelf, I did not want to rewire and purchase the center console as all the interior pieces cost me 1100 dollars. So what it did was I got a e 39 blind switch, yeah the large one and I placed it in the center armrest console at the rear seats vents , there is a punch out that that the switch fits right in. I do have to reach behind to raise and lower 1 push up 1 push down but it's perfect and the alcantara looks awesome. I can take pics if anyone is interested in my mod
Hello. Can you tell me if the E39 switch is still working on your sunblind? I want to install one on e60 528i 2010 LCI (dtc buttom) not Pre-LCI. It seems nobody could install it directly to LCI. I have been thinking to use an aftermarket switch just to go up and down.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530D

Originally Posted by ViperRunner
Just to update that it's everything working now, it was as i said before.. i had one of the plugs missing! In your pictures i can now see the missing plug and i didn't find it on mine so i made the error of thinking that the pins you refered where the existent one's.

Your DIY is perfect.. the error was mine.. will post only the pic i took to help me, that in the end was as good as the one you already had here and the complete diagram.

To whoever is reading this and is planning to do the retrofit. You need to have the plug in the red rectangle. If you only have the plugs in the blue rectangle then you're out of luck and you will have to arrange for one center console that also has the other plug.

Best regards and thanks everyone!
Hello ViperRunner,

i'm currently in the same situation you were. My centre console module only has two connectors...

So if I understand correctly I will have to get a module with three connections available. What cables do I connect on the new conector afterwards apart from the two from the rear blind? Power and ground? Where is the best place to get those ones from?

Thank you
Old 07-28-2019, 04:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Did anyone ever get this to work for an LCI? i am looking at it finally, bought the sunshade and as i figure the LCI connects Slot 19 and 20 on the X16920 plug that plugs into the A862 Center console switch, which is behind the glove box. then i plug in the button which replaces the whole window assembly--is that all i need?
Old 08-13-2019, 12:26 AM
New Members

so to bring this back from the dead. finally decided to this retrofit--thanks to all for helping me figure out the pin outs for the LCI behind the glove box and post it.

however I wanted to it in stages.
I only installed the window switch, verified it worked for the windows and such, and then put the door panel back together.
However ever since I installed it, ihave gotten a high battery drain error! is the switch bad? is it because I have nothing else hooked up to the SZM module?
Doing this without the OEM switch makes me unhappy, but I cannot afford ot have a battery drain error and a dead battery.

does the LCI require coding to tell the SZM module that there is an extra button on the window console? I have a 2009 LCI.

any thoughts or input appreciated.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:38 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by funglenn
so to bring this back from the dead. finally decided to this retrofit--thanks to all for helping me figure out the pin outs for the LCI behind the glove box and post it.

however I wanted to it in stages.
I only installed the window switch, verified it worked for the windows and such, and then put the door panel back together.
However ever since I installed it, i have gotten a high battery drain error! is the switch bad? is it because I have nothing else hooked up to the SZM module?
Doing this without the OEM switch makes me unhappy, but I cannot afford ot have a battery drain error and a dead battery.

does the LCI require coding to tell the SZM module that there is an extra button on the window console? I have a 2009 LCI.

any thoughts or input appreciated.
i figured out my issue, it was too much current being drawn by a module used to retofit backup camera to the E60. Now thanks to this thread and 545Mike i went to connect the two wires to the SZM module behind the glove box. HOWEVER the LCI uses different connectors? anyone know which ones? they are longer and flatter than the standard ones used in any of the COMBOX or CIC connectors.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 AM
New Members

BMW E60 non-LCI uses 1 module:
1. A169 - Centre console switch centre:

BMW E60 LCI uses 2 modules:
1. A169 - Centre console switch centre:

2. A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics:

These 2 modules LCI are connected together with wires and doing the same job as the 1 module from non-LCI.

If You want to retrofit rear sunblind in an BMW E60 LCI You have to :

1. Run 2 wires from M74 - sun blind to module A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics:
a) M74 - sun blind connector x1281 "pin 1" to "pin 20" connector x16920 of A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics,
b) M74 - sun blind connector x1281 "pin 3" to "pin 19" connector x16920 of A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics.

2. Run 4 wires from A169 - Centre console switch centre to module A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics:
a) A169 - Centre console switch centre to module connectorX16919 "pin 16" to "pin 17" connector x16920 of A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics,
b) A169 - Centre console switch centre to module connectorx16919 "pin 20" to "pin 2" connector x16920 of A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics,
c) A169 - Centre console switch centre to module connectorx16919 "pin 21" to "pin 3" connector x16920 of A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics,
d) A169 - Centre console switch centre to module connectorx16919 "pin 22" to "pin 16" connector x16920 of A862 - Centre console switch cluster, control electronics.

(these 4 wires are not there from the factory if the rear sunblind is not installed from the factory)

I did this in my BMW E60 LCI 2008 and the rear sunblind is working perfectly!

Last edited by bocol; 10-20-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e60 pre lci 530d M-sport carbon black

Originally Posted by 545iMike
Just finished retrofitting an electric sunblind in my car. No coding is necessary. Its all plug and play. I also didn't take any pictures either.

This is for Pre-LCI. Here's a quick DIY.
What you need;
- Window switch with sunblind button.
- Parcel shelf trim with hole for sunblind or cut factory one. (All cut lines are hidden if you go this route.)
- Electric sunblind, the 2 little trim covers for each end (#14) and 3 screws for the sunblind mounting (#12).
- 20 feet of 18 gauge wire.
- 4 Bullet style connectors (2 Male, 2 Female).
- 2 Electrical pins (BMW Part# 61 13 8 366 260).

Instructions;
- Remove drivers door panel and change window switch to new one with sunblind button.
- Remove rear seats bottom first then top.
- Remove c-pillar trim.
- Remove parcel shelf trim.
- Before you install new parcel shelf trim, make sure you remove the 3 removable tabs from the sound deadener sitting on the parcel shelf. The sunblind is screwed to the parcel shelf from in the trunk. If you don't remove these now you won't be able to get the screws in.
- Install new parcel shelf with sunblind and all speakers transferred over and bolt the sunblind down from in the trunk.
(#1 are the 3 screws)

If your car didn't come with a sunblind installed from factory, you won't have the wiring pre wired already.

So what I did;
- Cut connector off the end of the sunblind wiring.
- Connect some bullet style electrical connectors to the end of the sunblind wiring ( male on one side female on the other). I used these just in case I needed to remove the sunblind in the future.
- Connect your bullet connectors to roughly 20 feet of 18 gauge wire and run it from the top right (passenger side on LHD car) parcel shelf where the sunblind wiring is, down over the floor where the rear seat goes to the right (drivers side), under the sill trim and b-pillar trim to the dash, then under the drivers kick panel, to the center console where the SZM switch is (module that has the seat heater buttons and parking and DTC buttons.

- Remove the trim on the dash so you have access to the wires on the back of the SZM. There's a DIY on youtube for an AUX install that shows how to remove the dash trim.
- Connect 2 electrical pins to the end of your 20 foot wires (BMW part# 61 13 8 366 260).
- Then unplug the x14058 plug from the SZM ( #4 in the picture above).
- Find #7 and #8 slots on the plug. Unhinge the little tab on the bottom of the connector where these slots are.
So the the wiring goes as follows -
- The plug you cut off the sunblind wiring has 2 wires, a blue and a black. The blue was connected into slot 3 on the sunblind wiring and the black was in slot 1 on the plug you cut off. So the blue wire goes into slot 7 on the x14058 plug and the black goes into slot 8.

- Push the new wires into the plug. Close the tab you unhinged earlier and plug the x14058 plug back into the SZM.
Thats it. Make sure your sunblind works. Then put everything back together. No coding required.

This can be done with LCI as well. The 2 wires just go to a different module.
Hi mike 545 just a quick question does it matter what year the window/blind switch is from mine is also 2004
Old 01-13-2020, 10:27 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e60 pre lci 530d M-sport carbon black

I only ask as I can't find any pre lci switches with blind button. Wondered if the switches are universal but the casing is different.

Quick Reply: DIY Electric sunblind retrofit Pre-LCI