DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: E60 Shock Sensor retrofit to stock alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' E46 325i Sold 05' E60 53oi Sold (tranny issues) 08' E92 328i coupe 6spd MT (Current ride)

Sweet!! this is the one ive been looking for!.. i saw this done on an e46 and couldnt remember what that sensor was called lol.. (brand) but thanks for the DIY!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Members

Why are you not using wire taps instead of splicing them manually?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Why are you not using wire taps instead of splicing them manually?
In general I just try to avoid wire taps in all cases. In this case, those wires are pretty small and getting a tap that will pinch those wires correctly was more difficult than making a proper, permanent connection. Something else to keep in mind, a lot of these retrofit projects require connecting into the CAN BUS wires which is the same as making a connection into a computer network cable. I don't want a half-a$S connection hidden away in some difficult location that causes intermittent problems.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I checked out line 5 which is supposed to be for the LED lamp on the mirror. I didn't get a voltage off of it while the LED blinked. My guess is it does not power the LED directly but more likely sends a data signal to the mirror electronics and it determines the flash rate.

Just a quick update on this....

So part of the problem with this install is that the sensor is always powered and if the driver door is closed first (with the alarm having already been armed by locking the car), other doors closing will trigger the alarm.

I looked at pin 5 again and I made a mistake the first time.Pin 5 grounds the LED to make it flash but the signal is intermittant (same as the flash rate).

I think an improvement like this would work: Create a latch type circuit that accepts the low voltage intermittant signal from pin 5 and us it to power the shock sensor. The latch would need to operate on a timer delay because the LED starts to flash even before the doors are closed (I think).
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
New Members

I tested this DIY and works!

But ..... if the shock sensor is triggered the alarm will go off 30 seconds, then other 30 seconds
and then it will stop but also inhibiting the sensors so if you kick the car again or break into the car, the alarm will not be triggered.

I apologize for my english. Thank you very much
Old 02-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by benitos
I tested this DIY and works!

But ..... if the shock sensor is triggered the alarm will go off 30 seconds, then other 30 seconds
and then it will stop but also inhibiting the sensors so if you kick the car again or break into the car, the alarm will not be triggered.

I apologize for my english. Thank you very much

I wonder if this is a regional difference in the alarm settings and how the wireing was done? When I tested mine I tested multiple times and the alarm went off each time.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 550i

I was just wondering... this has anything problems with the fiber optics... and also i understand that a alarm can be added by BMW as well... did you have anything added from them.. or is this just in addition to using your key fob?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MrFullyLoaded
I was just wondering... this has anything problems with the fiber optics... and also i understand that a alarm can be added by BMW as well... did you have anything added from them.. or is this just in addition to using your key fob?
This has no issues with the fiber optics in any way so no worries there. This was with my existing factory alarm.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i m sport lci

looks like a soon to be project for me!!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60 528i
Model Year: 2010
Smile O.E.M. add on alarm

Great article / post . I just bought a 528i (e60) and for some reason the jealous? neighbors kids get a rush from $#%ing with my car. They got the temp tag and ripped off the metal preownd tag. No notice no nothing from my stack BMW alarm . Little did I know. This post is definitely a try -it-on weekender. Thanks .

Quick Reply: DIY: E60 Shock Sensor retrofit to stock alarm