DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY - Control arm, bushings, tension strut, wishbones

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I know I'll get some flak for this...Any difference in performance between the BMW OEM control arms which are about $180 and the $50 from ebay? EEEK!!!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

BTW is it necessary to change the tension strut as well or just the control arm? I'm trying to chase a slight vibration at 47mph.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 530xi, 3.0L I6, 6-spd Automatic, 255 hp; 2011 Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6, Direct Injection, 6-spd Automatic, 312 hp

Originally Posted by balbs
BTW is it necessary to change the tension strut as well or just the control arm? I'm trying to chase a slight vibration at 47mph.
The tension strut is usually the part (see posts above, the larger curvy part) that causes vibration, actually the tension strut's bushing, so you can just press-in new bushings alone and solve vibrations.

Originally Posted by balbs
I know I'll get some flak for this...Any difference in performance between the BMW OEM control arms which are about $180 and the $50 from ebay? EEEK!!!
Of course there might be. Shouldn't be a problem using the cheap stuff though. Wow, if that thing broke though, you'd go off the road out of control steering. Since we've never heard of any NHTSA warnings against the cheap ones, maybe they are OK.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Car_Almond

Of course there might be. Shouldn't be a problem using the cheap stuff though. Wow, if that thing broke though, you'd go off the road out of control steering. Since we've never heard of any NHTSA warnings against the cheap ones, maybe they are OK.
and this is why it's always a good idea to use OE stuff for critical suspension components. why take a chance?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 525XI

torque specs anyone?
Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Members

I own a shop and am about to do this procedure on my E61 535i xdrive.

I'll post up the full procedure directly from alldata tomorrow for anyone looking for spec/procedure/torque values etc..

Someone mentioned urethane bushings from two sources... Any chance those guys have bushings for the whole front end? I've got every took you could dream of to make this job a breeze so would love to swap all bushings to urethane and be done....
Old 06-19-2015, 07:06 AM
Members

Thanks for the lead on these urethane bushings! Just ordered them for my E61 and got the tension struts and rear upper and lower mount bushings (I think.. ) basically I bought everything they offered for the E61 and I went ahead and sent my tax ID to become a distributor so I can offer you guys a group but setup.. Just my way of saying thanks for the great info you guys provide even though I only lurk occasionally and scan the sale section.. I do appreciate what you do and hopefully this helps someone out..
No idea just yet what the final offering is, waiting on the email from Jon.. I believe it's something like 5% off their eBay prices but not sure.. Doesn't sound massive but they aren't expensive in the first place, and they likely don't have crazy margins like some companies... (Cough AEM... COUGH..)

Originally Posted by gcalo
I just replaced my front lower control arm bushings with urethane, and they make an incredible difference.

Contact Jon at Problem Solving Polyurethane PSB Bushings | Armstrong Distributors

They do noticeably transmit more road contact, but worth every penny of the $84.50/pair bushing cost.

The urethane bushings are pressed in first and then the metal sleeve slides in after the pressing....

I highly recommend urethane bushings. Armstrong is a bit more limited in e60 F/E bushings than is Powerflex, but their products are great.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: E60 M54

Awesome thread. Who's selling urethane bushings?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Engine: N52

As to bushings probably best to go with Powerflex. They make bushings for both the upper and lower front control arms, and it is important to have the urethane bushings on both of those control arms.

There are many places that offer them. They are very good quality.

As to control arms advertised on eBay be careful. Most of those are poor Chinese quality that won't last 40,000 miles.

Meyle and Febi/Bilstein are very good products.

No need to pay the huge sum for the so called "oem BMW' arms either.

I was told that BMW is now also having products made in China, and that many vehicles coming to or assembled in the US are done so with Chinese made parts but that cars in Europe are made with only German made parts.

For what it is worth
Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by gsxtasee
Thanks for the lead on these urethane bushings! Just ordered them for my E61 and got the tension struts and rear upper and lower mount bushings (I think.. ) basically I bought everything they offered for the E61 and I went ahead and sent my tax ID to become a distributor so I can offer you guys a group but setup.. Just my way of saying thanks for the great info you guys provide even though I only lurk occasionally and scan the sale section.. I do appreciate what you do and hopefully this helps someone out..
No idea just yet what the final offering is, waiting on the email from Jon.. I believe it's something like 5% off their eBay prices but not sure.. Doesn't sound massive but they aren't expensive in the first place, and they likely don't have crazy margins like some companies... (Cough AEM... COUGH..)
What brand and where did you order from? I can't find any front urethane bushings for an LCI E61 535xi.

Last edited by bmwmonkey; 03-28-2016 at 04:15 PM.