DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY : Change LM1 to LM2

Old 08-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006
Default DIY : Change LM1 to LM2

Before Oct 2006 our cars were fixed with an LM1, after that the LM2 was introduced which has a lot of more functions.

I managed to find an LM2 quite cheap from a breaker. Remember that there are various part numbers depending on what lights you have but in the LM2 there are basically two versions one for Xenons and the other Halogens.

These are the steps that I followed to swap the LCM.

1. The actual swap is very straight forward and just involves removing the screw holding the LCM and pulling downward. There is only 1 screw holding the LCM, the other side is held by a metal catch.
2. Next I had to reprogram the LCM. The LCM is the other module in the car that holds the VO, the other being the CAS.
3. Load NCSExpert and choose the CAS and then choose "Enter FA", just copy the complete VIN number that pops up. Close NCSExpert.
4. Load INPA and check the "Ident" of the LMA module and check the part number there. Note that down. Close INPA.
5. Load WinKFP and choose "Comfort Mode", "Choose ZUSB", in the ECU family choose LM460 and make sure that the part number that you took down in Step 4 shows up on the ZB-Number list, other choose another ECU family. Click cancel and then choose "Update ZUSB" and choose LM460 and click OK. Next click "Enter Vin" and enter the VIN number that you copied in Step 3. Click "Done". You will now see a "Prog ZB-Update", cick that. The module will start getting coded and the UIF will be written, which means that the VIN will have been updated. Close WinKFP.
6. Load NCSExpert and then choose the CAS and then using the "FA_WRITE" job process the LMA ECU. Basically what this does is copies the VO from the CAS to the LMA.
7. When you start NCSexpert and instead of choosing CAS you choose LMA you will notice that the old VIN number still loads. This was a big mystery to me because everywhere I could see my VIN instead of the old VIN in the UIF but yet NCSExpert seemed to find it somewhere. Perform a "Read ECU" and note down the .prg file that NCS is using for the LM2. Close NCSExpert.
8. To fix this load Tool32 and load up the .prg file that you noted in Step 7. (my first time using Tool32 btw)
9. Here using trial and error I found a job called "read_fgvin", which when run showed me the old VIN. I then loaded up the job "write_fgvin" which requires one argument and I supplied the VIN noted in Step 3. I ran the job and then when I ran "read_fgvin" again I saw my VIN.
10. Checked this in NCSexpert again and it was my VIN. Makes me think that I didn't need to run Step 5 (WinKFP) at all to update the VIN because the software on the LM2 was already the most recent. Anyway doing that made INPA detect the correct VIN on my LM2 as previously it was just reporting "yyyyyyy" instead of a VIN number. I was also given to understand that you can used the job "FGNR_Schreiben" in NCSexpert to change the VIN of an ECU but for some strange reason that Job doesn't show up for the LMA ECU.
11. Load NCSexpert "Expert Profile" with a blank .man file and just process the LMA ecu again, this will code the LMA to the new VO.

Job done.

P.S. : This DIY assumes you know how to use the tools mentioned here. Please don't ask me how to use them.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2005

What new functions does the LM2 feature?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Awesome DIY Bruce. If only these used LM2 can be obtained easier/cheaply, I would be so on this.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Engine: n52

John ,, i hope u read this for my swap. )
Old 08-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Contributors

If you got a new LM2, it's far more straight forward than this.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

just picked up one of these this wknd. how can i tell for certain if its for Halogen lights or for Bi-Xenon lights? my car has Pre-LCI Bi-Xenon lights and I am also installing LCI tails...hopefully adding the module to my car via the steps above and updating the LM2 via a .man file for proper coding of my LCI lights things will work properly....is there any way to tell before hand which module it is. when i pulled it off the car at the yard, the headlights were already gone, so i have no visual indicators as to what lights were there....

also, via the LM2 what are some of the extra coding options i can now take advantage of via NCS?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Contributors

The part number, check it.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Besides the part number you will see the words AHL printed on the LM2 if they are meant for Xenons.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

can you guys tell by the attached pic which light module this is? i tried doing a search on the part numbers and came up with nada. it came out of a 2008 528xi (US model). i would like to use it to control my Pre-LCI headlights and LCI taillights via the DIY listed above. ultimately im after welcome lights as an option in my CIC...
Attached Thumbnails DIY : Change LM1 to LM2-photo-9-.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

From the last 7 digits of the part number printed across the top = 61359180756.
It's under Vehicle Electrical System main group & Control Module sub-group.

And it is LM2 as it printed "LM II" (lower left) but I don't think it's AHL.

Since you seems to know the origin car, try to trace back to see if the donor car has Xenon headlights or not. It's fairly easy to tell based on the year that it'll always LM2 (my car build 10/'06 and already w/ LM2) since it's from '08 model.

Originally Posted by umichchris
can you guys tell by the attached pic which light module this is? i tried doing a search on the part numbers and came up with nada. it came out of a 2008 528xi (US model). i would like to use it to control my Pre-LCI headlights and LCI taillights via the DIY listed above. ultimately im after welcome lights as an option in my CIC...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY : Change LM1 to LM2