DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dension AVR Install DIY

Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jay77
http://www.dension.c...stallguide3.pdf

Ok looking at the install guide things to check
1) Check you don't have the rear view camera installed in the wrong port on the AVR
2) Check the reverse trigger:

"Reverse Gear detect: If rear view cameras are connected usually
the AVR can detect reverse gear through CAN bus. In this case this
wire is left unconnected.
If for some reason the reverse gear cannot be detected this wire
should be connected to the reverse gear switch (positive trigger)"

Check it with and without the wire connected (Green wire)

Yes we tried both methodss.
Still not showing up unless tv is selected..
1. Rear view camera is selected in the right part as evident when I put the car in reverse it worksb. But only in tv. Mode im thinking it's probably working behind the scenes
2. We tried connecting the reverse trigger wire same results..

This is truly a head scratcher
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 545i M-Sport

Hi,

Today I installed an AVR & Gateway into my 2004 545i E60. I followed all of Jay77?s instructions which were a big help.

I have it partially working however not perfectly - the Dension website & instructions are pretty basic so hoping to get some help here.

The Ipod connectivity works and plays audio however I don?t see the track / playlist names. When I select a CD I don?t get the Root/Source options. I only see the track number that is playing.

I also noted that the TV channels are no longer able to be selected from the TV menu. I can only see the iPod GW, iPod UI, USB etc options? Is there a way to get the TV channels back?

I already had the TV enabled in my car as the TV used to work (both Analog & Digital).

Also how do I update the firmware for the AVR? Could this be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim
Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e372758
Hi,

Today I installed an AVR & Gateway into my 2004 545i E60. I followed all of Jay77?s instructions which were a big help.

I have it partially working however not perfectly - the Dension website & instructions are pretty basic so hoping to get some help here.

The Ipod connectivity works and plays audio however I don?t see the track / playlist names. When I select a CD I don?t get the Root/Source options. I only see the track number that is playing.

I also noted that the TV channels are no longer able to be selected from the TV menu. I can only see the iPod GW, iPod UI, USB etc options? Is there a way to get the TV channels back?

I already had the TV enabled in my car as the TV used to work (both Analog & Digital).

Also how do I update the firmware for the AVR? Could this be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim
Sounds like you need to get the MP3 encoded to get the track names to show. Either find a workshop with Autologic to enable it or someone with NCSExpert that can code it for you.

As for the TV functions I think you would have to manually switch over using the by pass switch. Sorry I don't have the TV module so cant really give any advice, hopefully someone else here can.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 545i M-Sport

Thanks Jay,

Today I contacted my local prestige car audio workshop and they werent 100% sure what I needed however are looking into it for me. They werent sure what I meant by Autologic or NCSExpert as I am not sure either. Can you explain a bit more what is these actually mean?

Also have you had to upgrade the Dension firmware? From the website upgrading the firmware seems to be a matter of installing the file on a USB stick and putting it in the USB port of the AVR.

Thanks, Tim.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Sorry Tim, auto logic is a diagnostic tool that also allows funtions to be activated
http://www.autologic-diagnos.com/en/...mw-diagnostics

NCS expert will allow coding of modules and started off life as factory / engineer tool that made its way in the public domain (google it). Let say for now this is too advanced for your needs here if you only want to get the text up, would recommend asking a forum member if they can help you out

Firstly does your car play mp3s if you burn them on to cd and put it in the centre console cd? If no then you need to get the functionality enabled for the text to show. To do this you need to either find a mechanic who can enable mp3 playback on the idrive

If your car plays mp3s from cd in the main dash cd player then you need to get the switches on the Denison checked

To upgrade firmware:
1. Download latest firmware from densions site
2. Extract the file to the root of a USB drive, simple way is to use a blank USB stick with just the update on it and a few mp3s (no folders)
3. Plug in the drive to the USB port only, no iPod connected
4. Turn the key in the ignition so you get all the lights on the dash and idrive running

Job done It should start playing songs from USB if you select cd5 (select it in source if required)

Same applies to avr updates

Hope that helps

J
Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Ali
New Members

Hi Jay

I don't know if you still check these forums, but if you do I desperately need your help. I have got the Dension 500 with avr installed but I cannot see any video on my E60, I have got the car coded for MP3 support but I think the guy who carried out the installation probably left some wires disconnected e.g. All those small wires. Is there any way you could help me out.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Ali
New Members

I would also be very happy to pay you to carry this out for me if you can....
Old 06-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Contributors

Hi Ali

Does the Dension work? Is it playing music via ipod / usb?

You say the AVR is installed, so what happens?

Select > CD5> Source IPOD GW > CD5 > Video > select your ipod video. You should now hear it start playing. You now need to come out of the menu, and back to the Idrive source option FM / AM/ CD/ TV option and select TV

Give a bit more detail, and get your post count up and drop me a PM if the first post doesnt help you..
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ali
I would also be very happy to pay you to carry this out for me if you can....

Ali do you have a TV selected in the idrive
The way you access video portion is by selecting the tv option after you selected the video source
Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 PM
New Members

Hi, I've been following your posts on the Dension AVR. I installed the Gateway 500 a few months ago, works perfect no problems. Just coded the car ready for the Dension AVR which I've bought today. All the wiring makes sense, just wonder if someone could clarify exactly where the red/white handbrake trigger wire goes please - some say it goes on the black -ive wire on the AVR power (ie taps between the 2 main adapter plugs), others say on the black -ive on the Gateway 500 itself but that runs to ground anyway. Can the h/brake wire be connected directly to ground or am I missing something?? Don't want to fry the AVR...!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dension AVR Install DIY