DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dension AVR Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGuz
Hi jay77
Great stuff you did. I m new here and a BEGINNER regarding car electronics.
My 1st (maybe stupid) question is: How do I get the dashborad trim etc off (1st step in the DIY)?
Here you go http://tis.spaghetti...w.pl?1/08/63/53 You will find other guides there for the other bits of trim.

2: I have idrive Prof Nav - do I need to have the TV function enabled b/f the AVR can play back films?... & if so how do I go about it?... and any costs involved?
You need the TV option coded, to see the tv option in idrive. Your best bet is find a BMW indi with Autologic. Cant comment on cost. You could try NCS Expert, but unless your comfortable coding modules its a steep learning curve, but not impossible. Google and the forum search is your friend.

3: Dension 500 DIY: I got stuck at the very end trying to attach the dension power cable to the CDC. I d be grateful for any tips! I tried playing mp3s on the single CD (I even tried it in the dvd changer while hoping against hope it wouldnt get stuck): no show!! Could this also be part of the reason for the failure? I can see text when playing some new cds: eg one on the recent BBC proms...

Use some scotch locks (try Maplins) I tend to strip a small portion of both cables to give a clean connection, try that.

It doesn't sound like you have MP3 coded. Get this enabled with the TV option via the BMW indi and it will allow MP3 on the centre dash CD (you will see the tracks listed and be able to select them). CDC will not play MP3s.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jay77
Here you go http://tis.spaghetti...w.pl?1/08/63/53 You will find other guides there for the other bits of trim.
Thanks for all the info. & helpful advice. Been away on hols. Fianlly took it to the Indi BMW people who fitted the whole GW 500 unit and AVR; also coded it as well, all for around £200. Working fine.... except 1) they ve put the Dension behind the CDC so I cant get to it!!! I planned to ustick a usb key with some of my music on to it... 2) sound comes from only left side speakers in the car for some mysterious reason!; 2) video in motion not enabled - annoying; 3)they seem to have forgotten to enable mp3 as well. They ve promised to check and fix these, but not given me date to pop in yet.
When I pop in, I hope to show them that thing from dension on enabling video in motion... so far as I know, this is legal in the UK.
I ll see... Will let U know how I get on.
Thanks for helping a NEw, green member!
Thanks!

You need the TV option coded, to see the tv option in idrive. Your best bet is find a BMW indi with Autologic. Cant comment on cost. You could try NCS Expert, but unless your comfortable coding modules its a steep learning curve, but not impossible. Google and the forum search is your friend.

Use some scotch locks (try Maplins) I tend to strip a small portion of both cables to give a clean connection, try that.

It doesn't sound like you have MP3 coded. Get this enabled with the TV option via the BMW indi and it will allow MP3 on the centre dash CD (you will see the tracks listed and be able to select them). CDC will not play MP3s.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Members

Hey Jay:
Sorry to dig up an old thread :
Jay .
I was installing mine last week with my installer .. Now we seem to hit a snag and couldn't get any support from the good folks at dension..

I have a dension gateway 500 avr : : rear view camera : front view camera :

here is the issue:

The rear view camera only works in TV mode. ..
Meaning when When I'm in cd mode or am fm or or sat mode or he main menu the rear view camera doesn't trigger in .. Initially it was working now it seems that the rear view camera only triggers when Tv is selected
We tried hooking up the rear camera via with the trigger wire same thing .. it worked fine in the beginning then now it doesn't ..
Any suggestions?
can The avr be reset?
or is this a common problem with those avr units ?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Silkoccy
Hey Jay:
Sorry to dig up an old thread :
Jay .
I was installing mine last week with my installer .. Now we seem to hit a snag and couldn't get any support from the good folks at dension..

I have a dension gateway 500 avr : : rear view camera : front view camera :

here is the issue:

The rear view camera only works in TV mode. ..
Meaning when When I'm in cd mode or am fm or or sat mode or he main menu the rear view camera doesn't trigger in .. Initially it was working now it seems that the rear view camera only triggers when Tv is selected
We tried hooking up the rear camera via with the trigger wire same thing .. it worked fine in the beginning then now it doesn't ..
Any suggestions?
can The avr be reset?
or is this a common problem with those avr units ?

Sorry missed the post, thanks for the heads up.

So you have used the handbrake trigger, and then it worked but stopped working? To reset the AVR and Dension, either take off the power source at the main Dension unit or take off the negative from the battery for few minutes.

How are you accessing the camera, buy going to CD5 > sources? on the CD main entertainment page (where you see all the tracks) try holding down the idrive controller and when you see the menu of sources scroll to Camera and select (I think this is the Source Menu)

Also check your not near the capacity of your USB stick, I've found I loose the AVR functionality if its near full capacity, I think it cant write to the 3 files it uses and then disables the TV option.

I've not got round to fitting a reverse camera, post up how you find it once you get it working

Old 03-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Members

Sorry missed the post, thanks for the heads up.

So you have used the handbrake trigger, and then it worked but stopped working? To reset the AVR and Dension, either take off the power source at the main Dension unit or take off the negative from the battery for few minutes.

How are you accessing the camera, buy going to CD5 > sources? on the CD main entertainment page (where you see all the tracks) try holding down the idrive controller and when you see the menu of sources scroll to Camera and select (I think this is the Source Menu)

Also check your not near the capacity of your USB stick, I've found I loose the AVR functionality if its near full capacity, I think it cant write to the 3 files it uses and then disables the TV option.

I've not got round to fitting a reverse camera, post up how you find it once you get it working

Hey Jay

As for the USB stick I'm using a 160gb USB passport drive
And the iPhone as my pod ..

My issues were getting it to come on the screen automatically without having to first select Tv..

I will try the reset option on the battery option or the power source from the main unit ..
Also I will try Anne code a rear view caera via the ncs expert and see if this is the main reason it wasn't working .
I'll keep you posted..
Old 03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Did it ever work without having to select tv?

The reset and NCS Expert coding should enable the switching automatically I hope. I'll have a look when I get home on what you need to code

Hope you get it sorted

J
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Members

Did it ever work without having to select tv?

The reset and NCS Expert coding should enable the switching automatically I hope. I'll have a look when I get home on what you need to code

Hope you get it sorted

J
Hasn't worked yet ..
It works only when tv is selected then the reverse camera appear ..
I' reset the unit still sme thing : it's weird:, dension of course doesn't respond to any emails .
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Contributors

I get the feeling you may need the tv module for it to work properly

Have you checked the Denison website for any config files for enabling cameras? Worth a quick check

what did you code?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

I get the feeling you may need the tv module for it to work properly

Have you checked the Denison website for any config files for enabling cameras? Worth a quick check

what did you code?

I coded the tv enabled .
So I have the tv on my front screen .
I'm able to switch back and forth between front and rear view camera on the main screen
I enabled video in motion and I downloaded the video in motion file from the dension website ..
I am able o drive and see videos.
Now the issue is having the reverse camera override the sources other the tv .

Don't know how a tv tuner box may allow that to happen . But if that's the case so be it ..
But dension hasn't responded to my emails ??
I tried contacted a reseller ipodcarkit. I can't seem to get through ..
I contacted a dension re-seller incarmusic and they say they will try to talk to dension and get back to me as to way the rear view camera works ..

Seems like its a minor issue but can't figure it out ..
Old 03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Contributors

http://www.dension.c...stallguide3.pdf

Ok looking at the install guide things to check
1) Check you don't have the rear view camera installed in the wrong port on the AVR
2) Check the reverse trigger:

"Reverse Gear detect: If rear view cameras are connected usually
the AVR can detect reverse gear through CAN bus. In this case this
wire is left unconnected.
If for some reason the reverse gear cannot be detected this wire
should be connected to the reverse gear switch (positive trigger)"

Check it with and without the wire connected (Green wire)

Quick Reply: Dension AVR Install DIY