DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Cigarette Lighter Fuse keeps blowing

Old 04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

My Cigarette light sockets keep going out and I believe its the fuse. I JUST CHANGED THE FUSE YESTERDAY. I have to cigarette lighters in the back two slots and nothing (phone charger rarely and radar detector is broken atm) in the front socket. The fuse is a 20 AMP, but should I up it to 25 AMPS, possibly 30?

EDIT: I replaced the cigarette light fuse (#82 I believe) and they work now. This is the 4th time I have had this problem, plus my windshield wipers don't work (they go continuously without stopping[so I cant turn off] until they randomly stop anywhere on the windshield). I am starting to think this may be a bigger electrical problem and I cant go to the dealer for another week or two so what should I have them check?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

what's the car's history? and stereo modifications in the past?
it sounds like something got shorted.
i would not put in a bigger fuse than what it calls for. you're going to melt or burn something that way. obviously something is wrong to cause the fuse to blow multiple times.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

NEVER EVER use a higher rated fuse than specified on the fuse box cover!

You risk some serious damage to your car, like potentially causing a fire in the wiring. Fuses not only protect a piece of equipment but more importantly protect the wires. They are designed to prevent your wires from overheating causing the insulation to melt and ultimately frying neighboring wire bundles which in turn affect other items in the car. Sure the equipment(s) would be easy to replace, but try replacing several hundred feet of wires in the car!!

Hope you're still under warranty. Have your dealer or an indy shop diagnose a bigger problem in your car. Good luck
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
bdn
Members

my doesn't work either. i have a 07 530i. I can't seem to find the fuse location. Can you tell me where it is? #82? rear?

thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

In the rear above the battery (Right panel)
Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
bdn
Members

Originally Posted by dinan530xi
In the rear above the battery (Right panel)

just fixed mine too! it's number 87 on the rear fuse box
Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Contributors

there's nothing wrong with using a slightly higher fuse if yours keeps burning out. if it's a 10 try throwing in a 15 and see how that works. The slight increase in fuse would have no impact on the wiring.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by schulrog
there's nothing wrong with using a slightly higher fuse if yours keeps burning out. if it's a 10 try throwing in a 15 and see how that works. The slight increase in fuse would have no impact on the wiring.
he mentioned his fuse is burning out even with nothing connected to the cigarette lighter. he has a short somewhere, and putting a bigger fuse in is not the answer.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

i don't know if they are all on the same fuse, but there is a lighter socket in the ashtray, two out at the rear of the center console, one under the glove box, and one in the trunk. I'd make sure all of them are clear of debris and/or fluids (do you have children that ride in the back? have you spilled any drinks up front? any rain get in your trunk?) if you've not done any mods to the car that's more likely than a wiring short, unless a tech left something disconnected during some other repair procedure.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by schulrog
I strongly disagree with the above advice...

If a fuse keeps blowing, there's a reason for it (like a short). Going to a higher fuse will not solve the problem and could cause a larger problem (like a fire or something) and, to compound the problem further, it would very likely void the warranty if, in fact, something terrible happened...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Fuse keeps blowing