DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

So I've been meaning to start this topic for a while now but just have been too busy. I think if I at least start it then I'll be more motivated to update.

I just want to share my whole cic retrofit with everyone so they can maybe benefit from it. I put countless hours into the research, 100's of bookmarks, taking apart my car more times than I'd like to remember, and sorting through the good/bad/intentionally misleading info.

The reason I want to make a post is because I think its what these forums should be about, not serving as a group that can be exploited and charged for information that isn't patented, copyrighted, or whatever you want to call it. And that's what I've seen way too much of on all of the forums I've visited.

Anyways, enough of that. I basically did the whole thing on my own with the info I found from different places, I'll post the sources as best I can (there are a ton). The easiest part is the hardware replacement and there are already a lot of posts about that so I'll try to only talk about stuff I had trouble with or thought could be different.

The main areas I'd like to talk about are on the software side like...

-Changing the language and other general settings with ncs expert. Don't pay someone $200 to do this.

-Getting the VIN from the new cic so you can get the fsc code to update the maps. You can get the fsc code for $100. It most likely comes from a piece of software called e-sys or straight from BMW. In the end it doesn't matter where it came from if it works. You type it in via the idrive controller after you put in the first nav update DVD (which can be downloaded and burned)

-Activating the navigation feature is needed and the best way to do this is with a CAN bus chip. This is because you can sell the piece later or sell it with the CIC to help resale since this is a clear issue a new buyer has to deal with. (I still haven't got around to figuring out exactly what these do, but I know it isn't that complicated and I'm still learning about the CAN bus)

-You can get the 6FL BMW apps without the really expensive snap in adapter with a simple pin swap. This is kind of iffy since it doesn't retain the Apple standards for how they ground the iPhone. I dont have an iPhone so this may be one of the last parts I check out, but since its so easy who knows.

-Playing DVDs while the car is in motion can be coded very easily and doesn't need any extra hardware.

-The combox media costs $242 brand new straight from BMW, do not pay someone $600+ for this thing when they just bought it and are reselling it. This one really got me...

-The car will need to be coded to think its an e90 since the combox was never released for the e60. This also isn't very hard using ncs expert but can be tricky at times. Im about 95% there on this but not sure if it's my phone or the car.

Don't worry about any of this being "OEM" because its not, anyone telling you otherwise is full of it, worry about it working.

Hopefully if a few replies show up it'll motivate me to organize this stuff since there are so many pictures and other files. Im not looking to teach how to start using ncs expert since this is documented well and you're not going to 'brick' your car (I wish it would actually let me do more incorrect stuff since this would be easier for this stuff).

I just thought I would start a thread make up for the other mods I've learned on this forum.

I'd also be willing to help install or code for someone who's close to western PA for free. Im not kidding when I say I think these forums should be a place to share information.
The following users liked this post:
BrownPower (06-05-2020)
Old 05-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Amen! brother!!! there are a few of us who share this philosophy. I need to figure out tool32 as I want to re-activate my voice control and progman is refusing it. Do you happen to have E-sys? or BMW standard tools 2.8?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525xi Alpine White

Originally Posted by BLooD
Amen! brother!!! there are a few of us who share this philosophy. I need to figure out tool32 as I want to re-activate my voice control and progman is refusing it. Do you happen to have E-sys? or BMW standard tools 2.8?

Hey Blood, I've definitely seen your name more than once during all the research and I know you feel the same way. Unfortunately I dont have e-sys, I'm not sure many people out there will, and if they do they're not giving it up.

I'm pretty much working with the standard tools such as inpa 5.0.4 and EDIABAS 7.20. I did have trouble working with one or two modules even though I mad the latest v41 daten files because I didn't have EDIABAS 7.2 though.

All of the tools I have are the most basic but I did end up getting an OPS multiplexer to see what its all about (not here yet) and may have an ICOM adapter to play with for a few days which should be interesting.

As far as tool32 goes, I think that's a really interesting part and its how you get the vin from the modules really easily as I'm sure you know. Progman is tough and I try to avoid using it, not even the techs at a dealership can change the vehicle order since its all they have. There are some functions in tool32 that look like they would lead to something though, the fsc code thing is still sort of vague which is the problem.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Contributors

If you ever get the error "faulty best description" or some thing like that all you need to do is grab a progman v32 set and copy the .prg files from progman to your ediabas ECU folder and it will be sorted.
I think some modules didn't get an update after v32 or ever earlier and this is what causes that error.

I hate it because the answer is right in front of me but I just can`t get my head around tool32.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

I think this is an excellent thread and just shows that anything can be done with the right tools and knowledge:

One day I'll be able to afford to get CIC once it becomes more common for people to DIY and they share the knowledge. I would be happy to pay someone who is happy to share the knowledge like you guys since the main person who does this charges a massive amount
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

wait for me guys , once I'm back on the track , we will setup our private test lab , very interesting stuff
Old 05-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ehssan
wait for me guys , once I'm back on the track , we will setup our private test lab , very interesting stuff
If I win the lotto im moving to Dubai
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

loool ,, what's wrong with you lazy guys these days ,, everyone is depending on the lotto
Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ehssan
loool ,, what's wrong with you lazy guys these days ,, everyone is depending on the lotto
Were not all made of money like Dubai now get on topic damn it!!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I know how the CAN device works as well. So I'm in.

I did pay someone to do this for me, but now know how to do everything. But I don't own the MOST devices to do the software updates on the CIC. Rest everything is fine.

Quick Reply: CIC Navigation and Combox for the E60